Kemin Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

4.0
Dr. Chris Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • As a working mom, I really value the work/life balance that working at Kemin allows me (in 10 reviews)

• Family owned, multinational experience, great working condition (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Care must be taken that your passion for the work keeps your work life balance intact (in 7 reviews)

• There are some unfair advantages between the different business units (in 6 reviews)

"Mostly sunny with a few rain clouds"

I worked at Kemin Industries full-time

Pros

Kemin is an exciting company to work for with long-term employment prospects. The company is growing and presents many opportunities to advance and take on meaningful work. I liked the owning family members that I met during my time there and found them to be down-to-earth and intelligent. A good majority of people working at Kemin fit that criteria as well. The campus itself is really nice and the new building is really neat as it comes with a gym, Starbucks, and a cafe.

Cons

A select minority of managers are still in their current position even though they have a recorded history and reputation of mistreating and disenfranchising employees. Try to uncover the history of the manager and position you are applying for during an interview. Also, the politics can get nauseating, frustrating, and in the way of good momentum and energy. Arrogance and finger-pointing tends to rear its head as well.

Advice to Management

Clearly define what Servant Leadership is and isn't and point out the examples that should be followed. Publicly denounce finger-pointing and create a culture where it is okay to be honest and self-accountable.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Kemin Industries full-time

Pros

They care about their employees.

Cons

Sometimes leadership is not willing to make changes.

"Great Place to Work."

I have been working at Kemin Industries full-time

Pros

Great company ready to challenge and grow your experience. Never a dull moment - a new interesting project is always on the horizon to keep you engaged and energized.

Cons

Care must be taken that your passion for the work keeps your work life balance intact.

Advice to Management

The culture of this family owed business is amazing. The goal should be to ensure new senior leadership have the same people oriented skills and practices. Bad hiring decisions should be taken care of quickly.

"Financial Controller"

Current Employee - Financial Controller in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Financial Controller in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kemin Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cares about employees, opportunity for professional growth, family-owned business, new WWHQ building w/ amenities (gym and cafeteria)

Cons

Lean teams which can sometimes cause long hours or stressful situations, constant deadlines to meet

"Review of Kemin"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate II in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate II in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kemin Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent bonus opportunities and benefits. Family owned.

Cons

There are some unfair advantages between the different business units.

"Inspiring company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Kemin Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kemin has an inspiring vision and many intelligent, kind and visionary team members. Employees are empowered to discover and develop based on their interests. Many big company perks (budgets, tools, facilities, travel, HR benefits) but often has a small company feel (personal relationships across teams, agile decision making).

Cons

Because business units operate independently, decisions, strategy and goals often feel misaligned and siloed. The flexible nature of job descriptions and team roles can create an ever increasing, unfocused work load for hard working, successful employees, leading to burnout and frustration.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees. Be sure strategic planning has common themes across all groups for better alignment.

7. "Kemin"

Current Employee - Bytek Operator in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Bytek Operator in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kemin Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for difficulty of work, standard benefits package that starts day 1, including vacation. Overtime is generally available if wanted but never forced on you. Corporate culture without so much of the corporate stuffiness. Tuition reimbursement and adoption assistance.

Cons

Not a whole lot, management has a clear direction of where the company is going, they are stingy with capex spending for better AND worse. If you want to move beyond production don't even dream of it without using the aforementioned tuition reimbursement program because they want the damn coffee machine to have a BA/BS.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of strength in your production crew, its one of the better places to work in the general labor/manufacturing industry here so you've attracted the smarter, harder working people. Use that to your advantage and promote more of us from within/listen to us a bit, there's a lot of smart folks out here running the lines. Also don't be afraid to crack down on what few slackers/idiots that have hung around out here, they're ruining it for everyone else.

8. "Secure and Stable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kemin Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kemin provides an atmosphere where individuals have the opportunity for growth and development within the company. There are also many different industries that Kemin serves, so growth can happen internally or externally of one's own division.

Employees can count on average to good medical benefits as well as fringe benefits like an on-site cafeteria and gym at the Des Moines headquarters, flexible work schedules, and continuing education financial assistance.

Founders Mary and RW Nelson are still involved with the company and their spirit and belief in their employees is inspiring and heartwarming. Dr. Chris Nelson and Libby Nelson are approachable and have open door policies, although they travel frequently.

Cons

Kemin has a very unique way of making decisions which can elongate the entire process and the company as a whole has not progressed with the evolution of social networking and engaging employees and customers through online and digital interactions.

Even though the opportunities exist for employees they will have to fight and push for the advancement. This applies to job promotions and pay increases.

Also it is very easy for one to take on multiple projects and become overwhelmed and burnt out.

Advice to Management

Recognize the work your employees do and thank them for it. Understand, from their prospective, what the situation is and address their needs based on this.

Continue to operate as a family owned business and include employees in decisions and events that make them feel like they are truly a part of it.

"Proud to work at Kemin"

Current Employee - Marketing in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Kemin Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a working mom, I really value the work/life balance that working at Kemin allows me. Thats a big of a buzz word these days, but Kemin offers me incredible flexibility and it makes a huge difference in my life. I also love that Kemin has an admirable vision. We are truly creating science that impacts the world. People are passionate about their work, and I find that inspiring.

Cons

I would like to see a more consistent review of salaries and job growth. While this is part of our development plans, I want to see my salary evaluated annually vs the market.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your good employees. I feel like I am trusted to make decisions and move my projects forward. This is empowering to me, and I hope our management continues to trust and value good employees.

10. "Overview"

I worked at Kemin Industries (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company Culture and people

Cons

Multi-location - consolidation on track