Kemper Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Customer Service Representative

3.3
Joseph P. Lacher, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance seems to be on par with every other carrier I have worked for" (in 17 reviews)

• "They also offer a competitive 401k plan and good benefits for employees" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "really horrible upper management - they do not care about you" (in 18 reviews)

• "High turnover (probably for the reasons I just mentioned)" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Working Experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kemper is a great Company to work for! I love the working environment, everyone is so friendly. They train well enough to feel comfortable getting on the phones and assisting the customers. I am hoping to be in this company for a looong time!

Cons

No cons at all !!

Aug 21, 2017 – Brand Manager

We are glad your experience with Kemper is positive. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

"Overall-training sucks!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company and great people. Everyone is very nice, helpful and understanding. Love the desk space and the free coffee, tea and hot chocolate that is provided on a daily.

Cons

By myself coming from my previous job as a trainer to a job with no training or trainer. I find that Kemper training process is not the best. The managers who support the floor are the ones who have to provide the training. With only 2 managers, its hard for them to dedicate their time and energy to ensure we (New Agents ) are receiving the correct information and proper training to effectively do our job. On any day that either manager is out, is the days training will be delayed for days. I've been with the company for almost 4 weeks and only been in training 4 days out of the 4 weeks. The only direction being provided is to sit with a seasoned agent and pick their brain to learn a few things or you are left with nothing to do and just sitting around doing worksheets that are helpful but isn't the best way to learn how to do the job and learn the systems that are in place to do the job. Expectations are set that it is important and taken VERY SERIOUS that every consumer "Customer" receives the correct information regarding their account/policy. Question existing; how are we to be held accountable to that standard when we are being taught by every other employee on how they handle their calls and not the way management wants us (New Agents) to handle the calls. In my opinion, to be better within the customer service department and to get quality people you have to spend the CORRECT amount of time with your new hire agents and also with existing agents. You have a manger and a supervisor but haven't been around to help due to supporting the floor. What about a trainer? floor lead? Someone who is willing dedicate time to new hire agents and get them trained properly. Its been like I said almost 4 weeks and only 4 days we have received training. Please fix this process therefore the quality of work will be seen and heard instead of everyone doing their own thing. One person teaches me on thing and the next says it is absolutely unnecessary to it.

Advice to Management

Please place a trainer, Floor lead, Someone in place who have the time and dedication to teach and train new hires on how to complete the job. Having mangers who have to train and support the floor isn't going to cut it and you are holding people to standards and expectations. Someone Please make this process make sense and be effective to the job.

"Licensed Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Licensed Customer Service Representative in Moosic, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Customer Service Representative in Moosic, PA

I have been working at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Structured but laid back office. Competitive pay.

Cons

Did not find out my scheduled shift until the last minute. Cal center which is open until 8PM EST.

Oct 25, 2017 – Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post about your positive experience working at Kemper. We are proud to have terrific customer service representatives on our team.

4. "customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Kemper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with this company it is one of the better companies I have been with. everyone here is so friendly & nice & sweet. all the employees are so nice & very helpful

Cons

there is no cons to this job

Advice to Management

they are all doing a great job

Mar 13, 2017 – Brand Manager

We are glad to have you as a part of the Kemper team and appreciate your feedback!

"Kemper Overview"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moosic, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moosic, PA

I have been working at Kemper full-time

Pros

Decent pay, Good people, Nice work environment, Work is not daunting.

Cons

No complaints, N/A N/A N/A

Feb 6, 2017 – Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are enjoying your work with Kemper.

"Hard Job for the pay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Kemper full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, the vacation time.

Cons

The workload, lack of listening to employee feedback.

Sep 6, 2016 – Corporate Communications Manager

We value your feedback and will take it into consideration going forward. Kemper is always open to opportunities where we can improve, so thank you for sharing your experience.

7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Kemper full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, many nice employees

Cons

At time the workload can be very demanding

"A true family atmosphere, while dysfunctional at times I don't want to work anywhere else."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scranton, PA

Pros

Good Benefits, Paid Time Off, Management does truly care about people as individuals despite what some may think. Educational Benefits, Overtime available, Great shift differential pay, family atmosphere, THOSE WHO TALK ABOUT LEAVING CAN'T FIND WHAT IS OFFERED HERE. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE STILL HERE. Good work environment, free coffee, Casual dress code (jeans can be worn everyday, t-shirt, shorts, flip flops) Job performance goals are well defined and attainable. Recognition for a job well done. Approachable management. Being around people with outgoing personalities in wonderful. A "we're in this together" mentality.

Cons

Company reorganization and budget cuts in recent years. Continued business losses. Stress of layoffs and wondering when you may be next. Knowing managers and supervisors have had these same concerns. Like any job working with some people that make this out to be the worst job ever as they have at every other job.

Advice to Management

Continue recognizing and appreciating good performance, this goes a long way and your recent efforts to increase this have been recognized. KNOW what ALL your employee's goals are and discuss these frequently so they don't feel like you have forgotten. LISTEN and HEAR your employees questions before answering with a scripted answer that does not address the question. Let's turn this business into a profitable one so all the cons listed above can be erased.

9. "Decent pay for an alright job."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

consistent scheduling, excellent work/life balance, good employment atmosphere, no competition between employees, management usually hands on without micromanaging, excellent pay

Cons

unclear methods of communication- employees are expected to keep up with changing procedures by researching themselves, rather than being advised of changing procedures by management via communications.
    Okay, not great, benefits package.

Advice to Management

Communicate changes effectively with employees to avoid confusion regarding company procedures and policies. Do not continue to require employees to research updates themselves, it's a waste of time that could be spent being productive.

10. "none"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

decsent pay for the area

Cons

low employee moral at beginner positions

Advice to Management

more employee input to management