Kemper Insurance Sales Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

Insurance Sales Agent

2.4
Joseph P. Lacher, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance seems to be on par with every other carrier I have worked for" (in 17 reviews)

• "They also offer a competitive 401k plan and good benefits for employees" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "really horrible upper management - they do not care about you" (in 18 reviews)

• "High turnover (probably for the reasons I just mentioned)" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Salesman oriented!"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Kemper full-time

Pros

The reserve national Insurance Company was an outstanding company for me! I was there from 1983 to 1999!! You are paid what you are worth, straight commission and renewals! A good salesman will do well with Reserve National!! A salesman that's afraid of commission is not a salesman! There is overnight travel and expenses, but the sales cover that! When your renewal builds up that you will sustain a big check every month!! I was treated really well by Reserve National!! I sold myself out of impoverishment!!

Cons

Out of town during week! Rural areas cheap motels!!

Advice to Management

Pass out lead's based on agent's production! A percentage of his total office production and give preference to closers!!

2. "Insurance Field Agent"

Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Huntsville, AL
    Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Kemper as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are very friendly and the hours are flexible

Cons

ZERO training. Working mostly out of your car. If you don't sale, you don't get paid

Advice to Management

TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES

3. "Just OK"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I have been working at Kemper full-time

Pros

Health insurance is good. Flexible work schedule

Cons

You are charged back for business you did not write

Advice to Management

change contract

Kemper Response

Sep 6, 2016 – Corporate Communications Manager

We value your feedback and will take it into consideration going forward.

"Poor management structure and environment, but with excellent products and commission scales."

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I worked at Kemper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great commissions on their products. Products are strong policies comparative to other firms' products. Freedom to set your own pace/schedule. Leads are provided by the company based on your percentage of the office's total production. Great people to work with overall.

Cons

Regional offices have in/out groups, and if you're not in, you don't get leads. More specifically, management will tell you if you're not producing, you don't get leads. This is problematic because if you don't get leads, it's incredibly hard to produce, and once you reach this point, you're put in the "out" group and the only support you'll receive is offhanded remarks like, "make more phone calls" with the 3-5 year old leads they give out in substitution for newer leads. They give these newer leads to the top performers. This creates a very wide gap between the successful and not-so-successful agents.

Advice to Management

--Adhere to the company policy of giving out newly-received leads based on a percentage of production. If an agent produces 10% of the office production, he should get that percentage in new leads.
    --Stop insulting their intelligence by giving them prior respondents and labeling them "new leads", because if they're doing their job and calling them, they'll find out that they're not new anyway.
    --Be more supportive (and less cynical) of your agents that are honestly trying, but failing. Treat it like a business, not an MLM scheme with a "what is this person doing for me" mentality.
    --Create a more exciting atmosphere at weekly sales meetings. Simply meeting and going over the numbers produced, and asking agents what they're going to do the next week isn't motivational or helpful. Set up training for different policies at different meetings, in order to ensure no one is misrepresenting the policies. Call in local professionals that teach non-RN related skills that would assist with being a successful agent, such as organizational skills, time management, etc.