Ken Garff Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brett Hopkins

Pros
  • After 3 months you get great benefits and get weekends off (in 6 reviews)

• Great company that cares about it's employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The only negative thing I can think of is extremely long hours and are always expected at any dealership (in 5 reviews)

• High pressure, no loyalty, disposable at times (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Leadership In Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The senior leadership of the company is excellent.

Cons

It is very different than most other car dealer groups, but it's still car sales and all that comes with it

2. "Great Team Until Chnage in Management"

Current Employee - BDC Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - BDC Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting, fast pace environment. Great Benefits, Pay, etc.

Cons

Constant management changes. No work life balance.

3. "Great job depending on your managers"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Orem, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're good at staying motivated and being personable with customers, you can make a lot of money.

Cons

Management isn't always professionally trained and often handles situation with employees in the wrong way. This entirely depends on what dealership you work with because they all vary. I've had both experiences where I've had great managers and also poor managers.

Advice to Management

The old school way of managing dealerships is like the old school way of selling cars: out of date and not effective.

4. "Certified Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Certified Sales Consultant in Reseda, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Sales Consultant in Reseda, CA

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well connected
    Access to many cars
    Great benefits!!!!
    Many dealerships to choose from
    Transfer between stores is rather simple
    The coworkers at the store I worked at were mostly great

Cons

Hours are unusually strenuous
    Management is sometimes pushy
    People are sometimes snakes in the car biz.
    The payment plan for my first 3 months was absolutely horrible

Mar 24, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time!

5. "Excellent family oriented company."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in South Houston, TX

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and training. They really have a perfect car company for employees who endeavor to make car sales a career.

Cons

Its the car business which is long hours and EVERY SATURDAY. But the Garff group is very strict but them have systems and procedures.

Advice to Management

Recognize when you have veteran salespeople vs rookies.

6. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Values where they treat people RIGHT, with Respect, Intelligence, Greatness, Honesty and Teamwork

The work culture is such that I WANT to show up to work everyday. The people MAKE the company!

Customer Advocacy Managers, Brand Champions, training/development, team meetings, structure for success, New Employee Orientation, recognition and benefits all stand out from the rest of the industry.

I really respect the corporate team and their vision for the company.

Cons

The company is NOT perfect, but they have the structure and the momentum to do great things in the Automotive industry.

Mar 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to review!

7. "CARS"

Former Employee - Technician in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Technician in Ogden, UT

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very clean and organized shop

Cons

flat rate pay structure difficult

Advice to Management

keep up the goodworks

Feb 17, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you, we will!

8. "Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture...they truly practice the philosophy that if you take care of your employees, they will take care of your customers. Amazingly supportive management. It really is like family.

Cons

Unfortunately the money isn't good...actually, it's pretty terrible. It may just be the industry...but it's not really a livable wage if you are an adult with pets and kids. I hope it's just my particular location...not sales as a whole in the company...

Advice to Management

One pay plan does NOT fit all...a straight commission plan may work well for high volume stores...but the sales staff at a low volume store where the pricing is still trying to be competitive tend to starve. When salesman #3 from the top of a board of 10 can't clear $1500/month there is a problem...when multiple sales people can't pay their rent or car payments there's a problem...

Feb 10, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are very proud of our culture and are glad to have you as part of the KG family! While I am not able to give you a specific answer to your pay ... More

9. "Salesperson"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and get to deal with cars. Lots of different locations to fit your needs with regards to location. Commission is ok for the job.

Cons

High pressure, no loyalty, disposable at times. All they care about is the end dollar and not the employee. They do listen to customers, don't give a lot of care towards their employees.

Advice to Management

There would be a better opportunity for successful sales would be to focus on employee engagement and development. Don't just do the bare minimum.

Feb 10, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your review! We do listen to and care about our employees. It is Ken Garff's mission to be the most esteemed automotive group in their eyes and we are continuously working towards this ... More

"Trying to be "new" but stuck in the old. B for effort. D for execution."

Former Employee - Inventory Clerk in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Inventory Clerk in Lehi, UT

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are trying. Trying to get better, trying to be better, and starting to focus their attention on the employees that make the company a place where people want to shop. There is a lot of growth opportunity in almost every department, and if not at the current dealership, there is always another in the Garff family. I only worked there for 8 months and covered many empty roles and was promoted twice to new positions in my short time working at my dealership.

Cons

They are the typical large dealer in the automotive industry. They are trying to put more focus on their employees by comparing themselves to companies outside of their industry. They want the success and reputation of Google or Apple, but don't want to do any of the things that make those companies ones employees want to work for. The pay plan is crap, the dealerships and managers all place nice to whomever is above them, and completely disregard issues bringing departments down so their supervisor doesn't replace them. They are definitely not a bad company, but what they say is different than what you get. From my first day to my last day, it never ended up being the way that I was recruited/interviewed/promised. There was constant turnover due to how the company and dealerships operate, not due to the nature of the work or employee. The pay is pretty standard for the auto industry, but it's crap for what they preach. Each department is left with a manager to handle pay structures, scheduling, etc. Which would be fine except managers have so many responsibilities that promised raises, scheduling, etc get lost and forgotten. My manager finally gave me a raise after months and months of telling me he was going to make sure my family and I were taken care of. Once it finally went through and we sat down to write up the increase, I realized he had no clue what I was making and thought it was much less than what he had originally hired me under. There was constant talk of people looking for new companies to work for. We had one employee get fired (while already being severely understaffed), then told there was not any room in the budget to replace the employee or hire new ones. Leaving the current employees to increase their workload. By the time I put in my two weeks, I had been covering 2 to 3 different job duties that weren't part of my current role, but I was forced into covering since I had been promoted from those positions since being hired by Ken Garff.

Advice to Management

PAY FOR THINGS. Give your employees PTO and better benefits. Make sure every dealership, and every department are given the tools to do their job the most efficient and the most successfully. Your dealerships shouldn't have to "go without" or "work harder" because of costs. If the employees don't have the proper tools, or proper training how to do a task without the tools that every other KG dealership has, then your customers suffer. Not your employees. Everything is so micromanaged it becomes a joke. There are so many areas for much needed improvement on an HR and Champion basis, but after a year of holding down multiple positions and being a Champion, I realized that any new ideas, processes, procedures, goals, or suggestions, will always fall on deaf ears. Why? "This is how it has always been done. Not just with KG, but with all automotive dealerships." How can you be like Apple and Google and put your focus on the employee when you are focused on other things? You're just saying really loudly that you are focused on your employees. Keep listening to your customers, but start hearing your employees. This company had a lot of attractive traits as an employee that ended up feeling like just smoke and mirrors. It felt like a major disconnect. Teach your managers how to not micromanage. Make sure the people who are in the positions they are, are the right fit for those positions. Don't hire people over tenure at another dealership, or who married into the Garff family. Trust the sweat, not the face that it's on. If someone is shows leadership, intelligence, communication skills, management ability, etc., and they have ideas that are different than the status quo, support those employees.

Feb 10, 2017 – Director of HR

We appreciate your review!.As of January 2017, for the first time in 85 years, Ken Garff Automotive is offering Personal Time Off (PTO) to our first year employees. We made this change as a result of ... More