Kendall-Jackson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick Tigner

"Really a wonderful company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - Quality in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Quality in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Kendall-Jackson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company. They care about employees and for the most part everyone is incredible to work with. They support their employees and care about their product. Dedication to quality is high which is something very important to me.

Cons

Changed schedules. There is a lot of changing schedules which make it difficult at times, though communication about this has improved noticeably. Staffing was definitely a con as I had felt we needed more people, though this is also an area that has improved recently as well.

Advice to Management

Continue being great to your employees. Continue mentoring and growing!

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kendall-Jackson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sustainability efforts are best in class, decent compensation, decent benefits package.

Cons

Poor communication at all levels, complacency, accountability efforts are either not enforced or don't exist, chronic disconnect between local markets and corporate, bonus structures are convoluted and uninspiring.

Advice to Management

Tighten up communication and follow through at all levels. Inspect what you expect. Streamline basics. Have SLT team conduct aggressive and unplanned market visits.

3. "Harvest is wild"

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Windsor, CA
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Windsor, CA

I have been working at Kendall-Jackson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free wine, great people, decent holiday parties

Cons

Up to 14 hour days for weeks at a time during the peak. I don't know how legal to have that long with no days off but it's standard for the wine industry. The international harvest interns had a pretty terrible deal in terms of having to figure out their own living/transportation issues considering the amount they're paid, even with overtime

Advice to Management

This company is bloated and has too many people on the sales and business side making decisions that affect wine quality and in general ends up reducing the ability of personnel actually doing the labor of winemaking to do it well. Treating people well is the only way to improve quality and avoid overhiring, stop firing people and expecting the ones left to work harder for less

4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Kendall-Jackson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved my time at Jackson Family Wines. I would have stayed had I been able to fulfill my passions, unfortunately there was just no where for me to fit at the time and I had to forge my own path. If I find myself on the job hunt ever again I will definitely look into JFW again.

Pros:
    - Great employees who become great colleagues.
    - Wonderful health initiatives.
    - Good health benefits.
    - Programs to give back to the community and employees in need.
    - Commitment to sustainability.
    - The wine is amazing, so you know you are selling a quality product.
    - Family owned and operated company.

Cons

- Vacation is only 2 weeks.
    - Significant others are not invited to holiday party.
    - They offer Sick and Vacation vs. PTO.
    - All travel expenses including flight and hotel must be paid out of pocket and then there is a long wait for reimbursement.

5. "Keep going!"

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Kendall-Jackson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jackson Family Wines is a family-owned winery, and while rapidly expanding, I know the owners to be incredibly kind, passionate, and driven, which is lovely to see, especially as the next generation starts to step in. There are no corners cut during wine making regardless of price or production quantity of the winery, which is exciting considering the family's diverse portfolio, from affordable Kendall-Jackson, to critically lauded Verite. Innovation and stewardship - the company is focused on developing new technologies and practices to ensure no harmful environmental impact, the land they farm is protected and cared for responsibility, water and energy use is reduced, and clean energy is used throughout production whenever possible. Co-workers! From winemakers to marketers, the company is filled with driven, passionate, and funny individuals, including an amazing educational program and team. And lastly, Rick Tigner - he is the type of CEO you hope for when you join a company.

Cons

What I appreciate about JFW is I see the leadership working to improve, but progress is slow.
    Cons at JFW:
    -Organizational structure and processes are messy and disorganized
    -Career growth opportunities are available, but there are inconsistent expectations across teams
    -Compensation is...almost fair in most departments and has even set the bar in others, but is below average vs. competitors in my field..
    -Understaffed teams that are top heavy. Need more support on a lower level
    - Health Insurance: JFW has it, I've used it; It's pricey. It should be better

Advice to Management

Keep going and planning for the long term, not just within the vineyards, but for the employees. There MUST be alignment and unity among the executive team - it sets the tone for everyone else. Research compensation packages to continue to be competitive.

"Accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

Staff is doing the best they can.

Cons

VP's of accounting do not understand basic accounting functions and processes

Advice to Management

The company has grown in the last ten years and the VP's of Accounting do not understand basic accounting functions and processes and rely on their annual audit. New comers end up with no direction and are forced to try and figure out a messy puzzle that has already been tweaked by several layers or senior accountants because they have such a high turn over and employee burn out. The finance dept doesn't rely on the numbers from the accounting dept because there is nothing consistent and generally speaking they are not confident and comfortable with their numbers or their processes. It was surprising to see this in such a large company, but generally the Senior VP's and Managers of Accounting need the training and updating and once that is handled I think they'll be able to properly train and lead the staff.

7. "Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Kendall-Jackson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Wine
    Strong Company
    Pretty Winery
    Free Food
    Toilets

Cons

Lots of turnover
    Political environment

Advice to Management

Ask "why" people keep leaving

8. "Demanding and growth oriented."

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kendall-Jackson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Active, engaging and demanding.

Cons

Sometimes limitations of succeeding "by the numbers" management encourages dishonesty.

Advice to Management

Keep clarifying the story, manage the plan and the modifications not the numbers.

9. "Still has some growing up to do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Kendall-Jackson full-time

Pros

Great products and people. Family is impressive and involved in a good way. High Growth, lots of opportunity, good location. Environmental commitment is impressive

Cons

Systems and tech commitment is poor. Paltry 401k and very basic benefits. No value-sharing. Very top-down organization. For most of the leaders, its about them. One key leader of a division is a caustic self-involved individual that is unqualified for the job and for some reason she can continue to hold onto the job

Advice to Management

Focus on the little guy.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - California in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - California in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Kendall-Jackson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great wine, lots of opportunity. They treat people very well. Excellent new-employee orientation.

Cons

Office space is a bit crowded, but they are in the process of updating that.

Advice to Management

Santa Rosa