Kendall & Davis Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susan Salka

"Dont listen to the other reviews, this is a great place to earn some serious cash!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kendall & Davis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Earning potential, Easy going management, great training program, fantastic work culture.

Cons

The benefits could be better. Corporate could be better. Rules of engagement need work.

Advice to Management

I have been working here for about 3 months now. Im almost through the training program and feel like I have been provided more than enough resources to succeed in the future. New management about 9 months ago is completely motivating without micromanaging. Management keeps you focused, provides resources, and will always help you as long as you are seen putting in the work. The culture is not clicky at all and everbody has been very welcoming and helpful. The commission structure gives you many different ways to earn money including shared commisions between consultants. This stregnthens the bonds between the people I work with even more as we all want to help eachother make money and in the process we end up helping ourselves make money. Once you build your pipeline you can easily earn over 100k annually here, most of the consultants who have been here more than a year earn well over 100k. It does take some time to build a solid clientele and canidate pipeline to provide a steady flow of placements. The harder you work, the more calls and/ or emails you send out, the more time you put into this job will reflect what kind of success you will have. Management does not interfere with the way you want to run your desk. I always feel like I can ask anybody for help, they have even given me canidates and jobs to work of their own. Management should continue on the path they are going. Management does need to clean up the rules of engagement and follow through with it. Health benefits plan could be better as its too expensive and bad coverage. Other perks like money for gym membership would be nice but there is discusion about this and other perks are coming from the sound of it. Corporate is ok and they do try to listen to our needs. This isnt perfect but seems to be getting better. Overall id be suprised if there is a better recruiting company to work for in St. Louis. I already have a nice pipline built and it will be easy to earn 80k my first year here. Anybody who says that they can earn more than that at most other sales jobs is lying to you. Realistically there just arent many sales jobs out there where you can earn this much this fast.

Kendall & Davis Response

Nov 17, 2014 – DVP, Kendall & Davis

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Kendall & Davis - I am glad to hear you were happy with the training program and resources you have been provided thus far. As it sounds like you have ... More

"Huge conflict of interest and zero opportunity"

Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kendall & Davis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only pro is the people are fantastic and the culture is relaxed and fun.

Cons

This company is run by a leader of AMN's other physician recruitment agency. The other company is gigantic and this company is tiny in comparison. Huge conflict of interest, as this leader naturally gives preference to the bigger brand, causing Kendall and Davis employees to suffer. The other problem is there are no longer territories with opportunity, as the veteran recruiters have lasted because they actually have bussiness in their territory.

Advice to Management

Horrible conflict of interest and unethical way to run a company. The leader in charge may be one of the worst human beings on this planet and shouldn't be allowed to run the company. Just let the veteran recruiters run the company, give them resources, and let them make you money, and let this be a small shop with a nice bottom line.

Kendall & Davis Response

Dec 29, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

We are disappointed to hear about your experience. We’d like you to know that we have recognized concerns in that office and have since taken action to address them. We take all feedback seriously ... More

3. "Terrible Place to Work for an Experienced Employee"

Former Employee - Search Consultant in Sunset Hills, MO
    Former Employee - Search Consultant in Sunset Hills, MO

I worked at Kendall & Davis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that you get to leave 30 minutes early (4:30) on Fridays. Besides that this place will drain you and you will dread coming in each morning

Cons

The management, culture and job in itself is a joke. The managing style is to hold daily meetings threatening and berating employees. The team leads have no leadership or management experience so they dictate your every move because they get paid off of your sales not a salary or flat bonus to manage. You also have outdated resources to help you do your job. You basically call the same candidates and health facilities over and over again trying to match them together. Its basically matching mediocre doctors with mediocre facilities in rural places. They promise that this is a 6 figure job but in reality it is $30,000 salary until they put you on a draw. The majority of search consultants who work there are so far behind on draw that when they do have a good month it just makes up for previous months. In addition they have a strange compensation plan that is difficult to understand. You are told that you will get $2500-$5000 a placement but this isn't the case at all! Don't take or even consider this job unless you are a:

-Recent college grad with no other opportunities
    -You are an underachieving experienced worker who is extremely desperate just to work
    - You are an overachieving burnout who has never had an office job

Advice to Management

Try actually managing, coaching and training employees instead of threatening them into forcing placements that will not work out and be charged back a couple months later

"Great People; Outdated Practices and Micro-Managed to the Nth Degree"

Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kendall & Davis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The recruiters at Kendall and Davis are smart, fun and hard-working. One can make a decent living if put in the right recruiting specialty such as Primary Care or Emergency Medicine. I learned a ton in a short period of time.

Cons

1. Outdated recruiting practices and micro-managed. Undoubtedly, the phone is a recruiters number one tool. However, as newer generations enter the work force, recruiters must adapt to the chosen mode of generational communication, or get left in dust. Most 20 to 30 somethings prefer email or text messages. Kendall and Davis management requires not only an exreme quantity of phone calls, but also an extreme amount of time spent on the phone daily. These phone "quotas" make it almost impossible to perform daily organizational tasks and maintain proper follow through with candidates. Ultimately, the recruiter ends up calling the same people in the database over and over again.
    Additionally, phone time is recorded and monitored daily. Management hold the reigns very tightly regarding phone time.
    2. Favoritism. I have encountered favoritism in every position that I have ever held. However, the dynamic with Kendall and Davis is so off-kilter and blatant, that it makes it almost impossible to ignore. Management "hangs out" with a very select few during non-working hours and carries that over into the office. It is a constant barage of whispering and finger pointing. If you bring it to the attention of management or HR, then you are targeted as a trouble maker. It is literally the most unprofessional environment that I have ever endured. I have seen retalliation from management on MANY occasions.
    3. Bad health benefits. Their benefit program is outrageously expensive and extremely narrow in its scope.
    4. Paranoia. Management employs a lot of sneaky tactics to find out whether a recruiter might be talking disparigingly about rules, regulations or management itself.

6. "High Turnover, Politics and Resource Constrained"

I worked at Kendall & Davis full-time

Pros

Earning Potential and culture has been better in Past

Cons

Constant turnover, low base salary vs draw, Nepotism, small size office so everyone knows each other personal things, foul mouth and language leaders, back stabbing, playing favorites causes division amongst team members, not quick to act when a team member is inappropriate, as smallest brand last in line for any investment for the business.

Advice to Management

Never a good idea to have Husband/Wife team managing the floor, merge the business into MHA or pony up the investment required to not feel like a step child in a big growing company that is doing well. Sadly, this is not the division to be in.

7. "not very proffesional"

Current Employee - Physician Recruiter
    Current Employee - Physician Recruiter

I have been working at Kendall & Davis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

not alot posative to say. Pay plan would be great except they fire people before they get any comissions they earn

Cons

work till ten at night no real training program. Stale work enviroment

Advice to Management

pay more attention to employees take more time to train