Kenexa "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kenexa Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Mar 19, 2018

Kenexa Chairman and CEO Rudy Karsan Sr.
Rudy Karsan Sr.
Pros
  • "Great work-life balance and flexibility with work schedules, when needed(in 28 reviews)

• "I was able to work from home for over 2 years and for that I am grateful but it's not everything(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work life balance, busy release schedule(in 14 reviews)

• "You'll be exhausted for working long hours, the workload you will be responsible and held accountable for is for 3 people(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great environment, team atmosphere"

Current Employee - Recruiter II in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Kenexa full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best things about the organization, is that this is not a miro-managed type of recruiting environment. There are goals and timelines that you are accountable for, but your success is not dependent on achieving specific numbers. Great change of pace for anyone who worked in agency recruitment and is looking for a better culture. Great work-life balance and flexibility with work schedules, when needed.

Cons

There has been some recent turnover with people leaving for other opportunities. But it has been to do people seeking a substantial increase in pay.

Advice to Management

None, at this time.

Kenexa2015-10-30
  2. "Best place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Kenexa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overload and not may open source softwares

Cons

No work life balance, busy release schedule

Kenexa2018-03-19

"RPO"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Frisco, TX

I worked at Kenexa full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Long-term project management Wants to be the best in the RPO Industry

Cons

No work/life balance for field employees Compensation is below market Management needs to show employees that they are valued, seems to be more of a Big I and little you kind of atmosphere Integrity

Advice to Management

Ensure that all employees receive fair increases and promotional opportunities when available

Kenexa2016-01-23
  4. "Awesome workplace!"

I worked at Kenexa

Pros

Great advancement opportunities. Management cares about their employees. Always looking for ways to improve.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. Work life balance could use some improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Kenexa2015-08-08

"Company Review"

Current Employee - Recruiter II in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Kenexa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work - life balance.

Cons

Continuous lay offs. Zero transparency. Low pay and limited upward mobility (including increase of salary) IBM has ruined the culture of Kenexa.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and communicate with your employees. Stop making promises you can not deliver on.

Kenexa2015-07-21
  6. "Great Company..if you are a male"

I worked at Kenexa

Pros

Work life balance is great. Some of the best customer to support.

Cons

If you are a male do you move up in management.

Kenexa2015-07-20
  7. "I really like my job"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Kenexa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work-life balance and great benefits and training. Room for growth. There are so many managers that it's hard to say if the management is good or it's just my manager.

Cons

Lack of transparency in the upper management. Change management could be improved. And some of the processes.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and don't over promise.

Kenexa2014-08-23
  8. "Great opportunities"

I have been working at Kenexa

Pros

Great work-life balance if you proactively manage it, hard work results in great opportunities

Cons

Work-life balance is easily skewed if you're not careful about how you manage it. Lots of change all the time.

Kenexa2014-03-17
  9. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Kenexa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance, good place to work and great co-workers! I loved the team I worked on. I hated to leave, but I received another opportunity I couldn't pass up. If you have a good boss and a good team it definitely makes the job better. Really enjoyed working here.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity beyond consultant work. I think this was due to the fact that Kenexa is focused in one industry....but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Kenexa2014-02-28

"Great company name and benefits, but very poorly-organized and managed."

Current Employee - Recruiter I in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Kenexa full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of work-life balance potential and flexibility in my team (probably too much in favor of the employee). IBM has very good benefits and PTO (as long as you don't start in the fourth quarter of the year, in which case your PTO is going to be drastically less than everyone else's because you won't be eligible for any floating holidays that aren't pre-determined by your site). There is minimal structure and accountability (in my team, anyway). There is no real micromanagement and a lot of flexibility to do you own thing as long as you meet basic objectives. There are smart people within the company (even if they're not on your team) that you can interact with, and there are some good opportunities for self-directed online training. There is great potential to do interesting work for high-profile clients.

Cons

Personally, I did a stupid thing by voluntarily taking a paycut, a demotion, and relocating myself (without assistance) to join Kenexa / IBM because I thought that if there was ever a company worth doing this for, then it would be IBM (yes, I am aware of the logical fallacy of taking less money to join a Fortune 20 company). I thought that the ability to work for IBM would be a benefit in and of itself. I was very wrong for several reasons: - First, this is, by far, the least-organized company that I've ever worked for. The "HR" staff at my site did not know that I was going to show up on my first day because there was some kind of an issue with their HRIS system (imagine that, IBM having IT system issues). It took almost one week to get me a computer, 3 full weeks to get me a working phone & phone #, 3.5 weeks to get me a notepad & a pen, and a little over 3.5 weeks to get my "Welcome to IBM - pre-hire" email. I've never fallen through the cracks of a previous employer before starting, but I suspect that there are two major reasons at work here: first, this is probably part of the hassle of fully-integrating Kenexa into IBM. Second, IBM does a lot of outsourcing, off-shoring, and virtualization / centralization of their corporate functions. While that is not all inherently bad, it is inherently complicated, and IBM does not coordinate very well with the moving pieces. Also, their infrastructure is overly complicated, making simple things unnecessarily harder and slower. - Second, it was a step backwards technologically - I realized after working there that I am not a fan of IBM Lotus Notes and IBM Symphony (their inferior alternatives to MS-Outlook and MS-Office). While I am able to submit a request in their IT system to get MS-Office (which I actually need in order to access my client's system), due to a system error (most likely the one that enabled the HR team not to know that I was showing up on my first day), my request was not reviewed and eventually expired. Also, when I finally got a phone, I realized how much I take caller ID for granted (as I have no way of knowing who's calling me or who's leaving voicemails for me until actually answering their call or listening to their voicemail messages). - Third, while the people that I work with are nice, I can't say that I am very impressed by the people who are ranked above me in terms of professional abilities. On paper and in reality, I am as qualified (if not more qualified) than they are, so I personally don't see much learning potential beyond how to serve our specific client (knowledge which is not very transferable). Also, in my team, it is very easy to float and/or do sub-par work because there is little emphasis on accountability. I happen to put a lot of time into doing the job the right way and documenting my work, but that is because I have the experience to know better. - Fourth, my manager is not on-site, and has made it pretty clear that they just don't care all that much. I knew that I was overqualified for my current role, and when it was clear that it was a mistake for me to take this job AND there was a higher-level opening (which I was also overqualified for), they refused to consider me for the higher-level role because I was still "too new." Also, they stood me up for 3 phone calls, and when I submitted my resignation 2 months after starting, they barely said anything at all and did not care to ask me why I am leaving (which pretty much sums it up, anyway). That being stated, just to be clear, I only blame myself for my poor experience with Kenexa / IBM - I had stars in my eyes with the IBM name. In hindsight, I should have just refused the position and waited for a higher level role with IBM or another company. My advice is that if you do choose to come to work here, just make sure that you have some kind of tangible reason for taking the job (especially if you are already employed).

Advice to Management

Live the corporate values by making operations more straightforward, and focus on providing high-quality deliverables to your clients by ensuring that your managers know and care about the employees and the clients. Also, make sure that you have proactive managers who are willing to tell you when your processes and your systems don't work.

Kenexa2014-01-04