Kennametal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

1.0
Ronald De Feo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance, High Technical Exposure, Food (in 10 reviews)

• Good working environment, I have heard that the compensation is also good and working here will give you alot of exposure (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • To much un-certainty with upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Plant manager, production manager, quality manager- all mangers incompetent, seriously (in 7 reviews)

"Lost in the land of acquisition and do not pay their bills"

I worked at Kennametal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My checks did clear and were received on time.

Cons

Company is not good at taking what works from companies that the acquire. Most good people leave once Kennametal takes over because they have such a poor reputation and are known for buying and then shutting down companies. They also pay on Net 75 terms so many vendors do not want to do business with them. Those vendors that do agree to do business with them have a very hard time getting paid at all. In my position there for the first 6 months I had to deal with 3-4 calls a week from frustrated vendors with invoices that were 6 months or more past due. Once I got most of them cleared up I was still contacted at least twice a month by vendors who were frustrated because they could not reach a live person in the AP department due to all communication being made through a generic email address which ultimately went through India. Additionally I had several vendors that were listed on the approved list that said they would no longer do business with Kennametal because they knew they would not be paid.
     The division I worked for had an on time delivery rate that was below 50% for most of my tenure and did not have a full time plant manager the entire time until it closed down. Even with the poor on time performance and lack of a plant manager, the regional director only visited the plant three times during the two years I was there and one of those times was to announce the plant closure.

Advice to Management

When you buy a competitor, you should listen to the people that made the other company work well enough for them to be competition to you. Just because you bought them does not mean your way of doing business is better by default. Pay your bills! You make it almost impossible to do business efficiently when nobody wants to work with/for you because they will not get paid.

2. "Shear operator"

Former Contractor - Shear Operator in New Castle, PA
    Former Contractor - Shear Operator in New Castle, PA

I worked at Kennametal as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers. The men are great production workers

Cons

Don't get hired threw a temp agency like I did. Business has a contract to just fill in a job for a production order. Temps are deceived to believe it will turn into full time work. constantly hires and fires temps. Low pay and no befits. it's legal. It is not the place to work for.

Advice to Management

Get new management.. That why your plant has loses at 40%. That shearer and cuber set up is totally not working.This company waste resources, good labor,and good talented employees. Overall rating the company #1.

3. "Could be better"

Former Intern - Machine Operator in Orwell, OH
    Former Intern - Machine Operator in Orwell, OH

I worked at Kennametal as an intern

Pros

Good workers, pays good as a temp no longer work there.

Cons

Managment is horrible. Lost my job because I got assalted by another temp then told the supervisor about the assult. Then monday went to work when I got off got a call from kellys saying I no longer had a job. If you do decide to be a temp there just remember the supervisors have no problem getting rid of you over someone elses mistake, and if you do get assulted or anything like that they dont care and will do anything to avoid the situation. As well as a temp you will not get hired in untill 2 years or more. I know one lady that works there she is a temp and has been a temp for two years. I also know of people who have been temps for more then two years. I feel managment could be better and make better decisions. If they did fix the problems of supervisors and management I feel that Kennalmental would gain more workers as well as more customers and production.

Advice to Management

Handle siuations correctly.

4. "Director"

I worked at Kennametal full-time

Pros

Solid products and respected brand

Cons

Somewhat fraught with fear. Being led by HR more than anything. Difficult work environment.

"Good or bad it's all about you"

Former Employee - Engineer in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Kennametal (More than 5 years)

Pros

No stress, no responsibility. If you know very little but pretend to know everything and keep bluffing. This is your dream place.

Cons

If you know a lot and try to speak based on facts, this is your nightmare.

Advice to Management

Live in your dreams. Good luck.

"A good job if you have no creativity or desire to do something..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Kennametal full-time

Pros

It is very easy to come and do a little bit of work and make it home in time to see your family. Very little stress.

Cons

Not enough work to do
    Talent is wasted
    Revolving door of young people coming and going because they are offered jobs that are never actually quite what they are billed to be.
    No innovation
    HR is a disaster

"Very Poor Management"

Pros

Compensation is good. There is nothing else good about this company. There are some nice people but the good talented people move on.

Cons

Benefits are expensive. There is at least 1 layer of middle management, probably more, that are dead wood, known within as "professional meeting attenders" as that's all they do. Management systems have been over complicated by these people justifying their jobs, I cite K100, what a waste of resources.
    While this goes on they hemorrhage talent and don't bat an eye.
    The company has an air of arrogance about it which may be one of the reasons why they are losing business and will continue to do so.

Advice to Management

Replace, or rid yourself of your middle management who only look at numbers and don't know the floor or the product.
    Your Metrics don't make sense to people on the floor. Keep it simple. K100 is a joke.
    Do what you say you do "Value you employees and customers" Currently you do neither.
    Have employees do an assessment of their boss, maybe then you will find the holes in your sinking boat..

"stay away from this company"

Former Employee - Production Operator in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Kennametal (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay check is the only good thing.

Cons

Management is a revolving door. If you are not related to someone there you are treated as an "outcast". Supervisors look the other way and let their favorites doing anything but their job. The leads are allowed to bully, aggressively belittle others, and get overtime for doing no work. They have managers in charge without any knowledge of the products or how to run the department. They have no business degree and no factory experience in which to properly do their job.

Advice to Management

For the new CEO you better look past all the B.S. they are showing or feeding you and look at the numbers and talk to the employees one on one without a manager hovering over them because if they hover you know they have something to hide, A good manager is not afraid to let the employees speak to whom ever asks them a question. Get your unqualified managers out of there or your company will fail.

"Engineer"

I worked at Kennametal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not to many pros. They aren't afraid to spend money for equipment is about it.

Cons

Corporate leadership, good Ole Boy middle management, full of "coasters" at corporate. Majority of long term employees are lazy and lack knowledge of their products market & application of their products, which is surprising. Very poor at integration of companies it's purchased. Let a lot of knowledge walk out the door because the Good Ole Boy management. Layoffs are like clockwork for the last couple of years. Bad thing is the company will not purge the areas that are driving the lack of innovation. No customer focus at all, which is why they are on the down hill slide.

Advice to Management

Get good corporate leadership, recruit them from the same industry. Abolish the middle management "coasters" and long-term "coasters" they are destroying the company. Learn that you don't always know it all or have the best product.

"Senior Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Latrobe, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Latrobe, PA

I have been working at Kennametal (More than a year)

Pros

location was convenient, great benefits, business users are superior

Cons

outsourcing is the buzzword here, no standard remote work policy,

Advice to Management

value your experienced workers and remember that you always get what you pay for