Kennedy Jenks Reviews | Glassdoor

Keith A London

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good company"

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, fun/nice coworkers, flex schedule, interesting projects

Cons

Lost some good people, training is self directed

Advice to Management

More focus on hiring and retaining good people

2. "Poor Management and Lack of Integrity"

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

The culture within the office is laid back. Some senior level folks have been with the company for their entire careers. A good place to work for a civil engineer that likes field assignments. Opportunity to work on several small projects at once. Work/Life balance was good.

Cons

The system of checks and balances is almost nonexistent. A drawing package review cycle might consist of a senior level engineer bringing home drawings on the weekend and redlining comments while watching TV. Very few if any internal standards and templates exist. Calculations can be done on a napkin and are considered to be official, if somebody gets around to checking them. The organization of project folders on the network are at the mercy of who files them. It can be a chore to reference old projects and find documents because they were labeled incorrectly. The drafting department is aging very fast and a lot are near retirement, stuck in their old ways and resistant to change. Turnover for junior level engineers is high, making for a very top-heavy organization. I felt my career stagnated here. Electrical, mechanical, structural, and architecture departments are treated like grunts compared to the civil engineers. A lot of significant last-minute design changes from the PMs created rushed, sloppy work. Poor scheduling and budgeting on almost every project I worked on. Each regional office operated like a different company.

Advice to Management

Keep offering HealthTracks program to offset deductible. Offer a 401k matching program instead of ESOP. Reduce turnover for young engineers. Consolidate offices and reduce wasteful travel for upper management.

3. "Disorganized Organization"

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

co workers were great to work with

Cons

I have been in this industry for 20 years. I have never worked for a more disorganized company.

4. "Title for review"

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

Good work environment. Friendly co workers

Cons

Top heavy and too much overhead.

Advice to Management

Change your focus from growth and hiring executives to achieving higher quality service to your current customers.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Salem, OR

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, good people to work with. Good place to start your new career as a college student. Recommended for young engineers

Cons

Bad management, lack off management experience because of that so many good engineers left.they need to change some upper management

"Worked for Richard and David Kennedy and Keith London"

Former Employee - Regional Chief Engineer and Principal in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Regional Chief Engineer and Principal in Federal Way, WA

Pros

I worked for KJ starting in December 1978 through March 2014, 35 years and 3 months. I saw the company grow from 72 employees to over 450. During the Kennedy years, the company gradually grew to its maximum of about 450 when it downsized because of the recession in 2008. I was able to work on some major projects mostly in California working with PMs in Oxnard and San Diego. The most fun I had was the design of some booster pump stations for the West Kern Water District. I acted as a mentor to most of the young engineers coming to work in the FWY office. It was a hoot until the recession hit. I retired in 2014 not because I wanted to but because what normally happens when a recession hits and everyone holds their work closer to home. Less work available and the change to the new CEO with a change in direction. I loved working at KJ. It was my home away from home for 35 years. Resources for everything are available just like in the large firms. A great place for young engineers to come to learn how to be an engineer. Too bad I am not there to mentor them in FWY.

Cons

The company has grown now with many new offices in the eastern and southern US. I am not sure how this affected staff but the commitment to grow obviously takes resources away from established offices and the development of new work. I have heard from the grapevine that new outside manager staff have been hired and they have not been easily assimilated into the KJ culture. A lot of senior staff that I worked with have left the firm because of unhappiness with their new micro-manager style. I have few real comments that are cons because I have been gone for about 2 1/2 years and have no experience since I retired. But while I was there I was happy most of the time.

Advice to Management

This is probably the biggest grip with senior staff. The CEO should do more managing by walking around. David Kennedy was a master at this as was his father Richard.

7. "Design Manager"

Current Employee - CAD Group Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - CAD Group Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work. Excellent work/life balance, employee owned. Company officers communicate regularly with all employees and they also listen.

Cons

Still building teams but are headed in the right direction.

8. "Great people, suspect leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Kennedy Jenks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Some good leaders. People are interested in providing good service and there are talented subject matter experts.

Cons

A typical consultant - don't share work unless you have too as they are quick to downsize you out. They hold onto low producers that are buddies at the expense of losing good employees and clients.

Advice to Management

CEO said we won't manage the organization to death but that seems to be exactly what has occurred.

"Times are changing"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours, and a bunch of really smart people to work with.

Cons

When I started at Kennedy/Jenks the company was focused on retention of talent and fostering client relationships. Now the focus is more on utilization and internal corporate initiatives.

Advice to Management

Please manage by walking around and talking to the masses rather than looking at utilization and sales numbers and making changes from afar.

"Great opportunities for growth"

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

-New company vision for growth from the bottom up
    -Increasing focus on employee development and employee partnership program
    -Friendly coworkers and laid back atmosphere. Employees help each other out.
    -Work life balance is good...not a sweatshop environment
    -Flat organization (i.e. the bosses boss will take your call and will listen to you)
    -Top level management seems sincere about influencing positive change
    -Company provides opportunities to network with other staff at annual conference and allows employees of all levels to attend professional conferences
    -Great opportunity for career growth for ambitious, high-performing staff. Staff are recognized and rewarded.

Cons

-Continual reorganization/change creates confusion amongst staff
    -Training is largely self directed, and new initiatives are launched without enough explanation
    -Increased focus on performance creates "silos" between business units and offices
    -Focus on growth may have led to hires that provide questionable value.
    -Financial performance has lagged but is improving

Advice to Management

Vet the new hires very thoroughly and be more selective about hiring. Don't put the cart before the horse relative to hiring and backlog. Continue to work on better defining expectations and performance measurement for staff.