Kennedy Krieger Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein
Gary W. Goldstein

Pros
Cons
  • No negotiation for the already low salary (in 7 reviews)

• upper-management, promotion comes based on number of years instead of most qualified (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great coworkers, management left a lot to be desired"

Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The health insurance and pto was fantastic. Good for the resume.

Cons

Very toxic work environment. Poor management. Very low salaries.

"Extremely High turnover rate"

Former Employee - Research in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Research in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The clinical research department has the opportunity to be a fantastic resource to families who come to Kennedy Krieger Institute for care

Cons

The clinical research unit has a very high turnover rate, with employees leaving after 8 weeks. The veterans or employees who have stayed longer in the unit practice favoritism and are more focused on the power struggle/politics instead of helping the patients coming in. There have also been situations where other new staff members have been bullied and prejudice based on national origin and appearance have been evident. All issues have been brought to the attention of management and human resources department with no solution. This leaves employees who come in with a true dedication and commitment to the work, with the feeling that they are not appreciated and management is more focused on profit making instead of investing in employees

Advice to Management

Build a true non-profit organization; truly listen to your employees and invest in them, because you are losing people who have the potential to make a great difference at Kennedy Krieger Institute. An organization is only as strong as its committed employees. At the end of the day, "work politics" will only take an institute so far before it becomes a great hindrance to its success.

"DO NOT WORK HERE. I will have scars for life"

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Nothing. Absolutely nothing at all.

Cons

Dangerous due to incompetent coworkers and clear favoritism with patient assignment

5. "Low pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Good work atmosphere, passion for children and research. Good community sense and programs for children.

Cons

Low, non competitive pay for required education, no opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Compensate employees better. PhDs and masters level employees are way underpayed.

6. "N/A"

Pros

Great growth potential, and great salary.

Cons

Not a family organization, don't care about there employees.

7. "Overall Experience Horrible"

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1.Experience is good for resume.
    2.Builds skills for hardworking and multitasking capabilities.

Cons

1. Upper Management has a lot of attitude for no reason, specially the scheduling lady; shows you a rude attitude for no reason.
    2. Unfair system, don't care about anything except there company
    3. Schedule flexibility is horrible
    4. Not understanding, write you up for dumb stuff; like being sick even with a doctors note
    5. Very very very unreasonable at times

Advice to Management

Learn to favoriting, just because someone had been there a year versus 7 months doesn't mean automatically you should be nice to the person who was there longer yet a terrible employee versus the 7 month employee. Learn to be understanding, and actually think your employees are humans. Were not trash for you to use and throw away whenever you want. All the employees work really hard in the NBU. We work harder then you supervisors who sit there in the room the whole time. Also learn to assign patients to the proper size CA's. It is the dumbest thing to assign the biggest patient to a small person who will head butt them a kill them at the spot. You guys have no common sense; and sometimes knowing you have your favorite employees and give them the patients they want. JUst out of favoritism but then the ones who are not your favorite are stuck with the ridiculous huge patients.

"Clinical Assistant"

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with special needs children and you gain a lot of experience. The Perks are great.

Cons

Whoever is writing the reviews of 4 and 5 is obviously the recruiter. This job is dangerous. Be prepared to bitten, kicked, slapped, thrown up on and everything else. You are with the children 24/7. Since this is the inpatient unit, be expected to work around the clock! The only reason there is so many college students here is because of the college reimbursement incentive. That's if you make it to 6 months. The supervisors just sit behind a glass window and bark orders all day, while we inside a room being slapped around by children. Also if there is a big patient, they don't care about weight class, they will put a small person in the room to handle them and pray they don't headbutt you to death. Management show favoritism. Whatever horror stories you heard about this job is the TRUTH, don't let the supervisors fool you into thinking it's not! Most ppl leave as soon as they realize what the job entails, that's why they are always hiring Clinical Assistants!

Advice to Management

Don't be so quick to fire someone, because they don't understand something. None of the supervisors stepped up to the plate to help me during training, when they knew I was struggling!

9. "Yikes- Clinical Assistant"

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Patients are very interesting to work with. Very rewarding experience if you have the patience for it.

Cons

I got beat up. Its an extremely dangerous job. They don't pay you well at all for the amount of work you do. They are not flexible with the scheduling. You get paid 12 bucks an hour to get beat up by the children. I got punched and bitten on my first day of training. I couldn't even make it through training.

Advice to Management

GET OUT OF THE OFFICE AND ACTUALLY HELP. Stop being so bossy and showing favoritism.

10. "NBU experience."

Pros

Great entry level experience, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions or a raise, severe favoritism.

Advice to Management

Promote based on skill, not on enjoyment of one another's company after hours.

11. "FCI"

Current Employee - Child Development Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Child Development Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great education benefits, good healthcare benefits, good team members.

Cons

Poor pay, lack of communication, high stress, no advancement.