Kennywood Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Harry Henninger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Food & Beverage Supervisor"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor

I worked at Kennywood (More than 5 years)

Pros

You become very close with your team members and make lifelong friends. If you are over 18 and you enjoy making a lot of money, there is always the opportunity to work a lot of hours. You get in free to the park and other amusement parks, and you and a friend get in free to Hershey Park.

I worked at the park for 6 summers and honestly they were the best way I could imagine spending my summers. Your coworkers become your best friends and family practically, so work was always enjoyable. I am truly sad to no longer be working there. You gain a lot of knowledge on being part of a team, working together and efficiently, and being patient-- these skills are needed for any job.

Cons

As a regular team member, the 8-hour shifts are not always at the same times or consistent through the days-- the schedule from week to week always varies. However, if you become a supervisor, your hours become more stable and there are only 2 shifts that you can have. Hours can also be long if the park is really crowded. In some of the food buildings, it can get hot and the guests are not always very polite. Pay is not the best, but there are always opportunities to work a lot, especially if you are over 18.

Advice to Management

Management is very friendly if you do your job and do it well. Your hard work will pay off with promotions.

2. "Depends on Department"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Team Member in West Mifflin, PA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Team Member in West Mifflin, PA

I worked at Kennywood part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kennywood is a great summer job for a teenager just entering the workplace. They require no previous experience, and the tasks needed are fairly basic.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low for a high-stress, six days per week position. I have gone 9 consecutive days without a day off, absolutely no off weekends, and requesting days off is extremely difficult. Early mornings and late-night hours.

Advice to Management

Please do not keep minors past the time they are supposed to be working by law. There should be a level of respect between employees and management, especially considering that the age gap is so small.

3. "Not worth it."

Pros

Fun family park that is good to go to and get discount tickets to.

Cons

Extremely low pay
    Overworked
    Incredibly unorganized
    No communication

Advice to Management

Pay your workers a living wage.

4. "Overworked, underpaid and ignored."

Former Employee - Ride Operator
    Former Employee - Ride Operator

I worked at Kennywood part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You become good friends with the people you work with, and have a great time working with them.

Cons

Management is absolutely awful. Even guests can see how bad it's become in the last couple of years. Employee turnover rate is ridiculous because no one has the patience to deal with management.

Advice to Management

If you want to increase employee retention, treat your employees like humans.

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Kennywood full-time

Pros

Great place to work, no complaints

Cons

I can not think of any cons

6. "ride operator"

I worked at Kennywood full-time

Pros

you get a ton of hours + therefore your paychecks are solid. the people you meet are nice enough too.

Cons

there isn't overtime, so you work 14 hour days/60 hour weeks and still make 7.25 an hour

Advice to Management

your workers deserve overtime and will respect you more/behave better if theyre paid better

7. "Seasonal employment"

I worked at Kennywood full-time

Pros

Great way to gain customer service experience in a fast paced work environment.

Cons

Long days and work weeks. Easy to pick up/trade shifts but also easy to be overworked.

8. "Great friends, embarrassing management"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor

I worked at Kennywood part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked there for 6 summers. You can get as many hours as you need (I've worked over 70 hours per week during peak times). Team members are mostly high school/college age, so it can be a lot of fun. Many of my best and longest lasting friendships were formed there. I learned valuable skills as a food and beverage supervisor such as leadership, guest service, food safety and preparation, cash handling, etc. Off season employment opportunities are available through Fright Nights and Holiday Lights as well.

Cons

Low pay rate with no overtime pay. Team members received an hourly bonus last year while building supervisors were overlooked. There was often a lack of supplies and staffing. Safety of team members was often overlooked (old cooking equipment that catches fire, using milk crates as step ladders, etc.). Only one 30 minute break for a work day lasting up to 15 hours. I've been screamed at by guests for issues far beyond my control while supervising teenagers whose lack of professionalism was astounding (swearing at guests, stealing food/money). Promotions are essentially a popularity contest. There is a lack of training of new team members- just reading a handbook is simply not enough.

Advice to Management

Advertise available positions beyond local high schools. Follow through with consequences for poor job performance and reward people who do their jobs well. Balance schedules so that buildings are adequately staffed, and update buildings and equipment to ensure the safety of team members and guests. Focus more on training all team members to do quality work.

9. "Terrible. The Worst Pay To Stand In The Hot 90° Weather! TERRIBLE HOURS"

Former Employee - Games Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Games Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kennywood part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

discount tickets
    super cheap food
    cheap merch
    10% employee discount
    these are honestly the only benefits of working at kennywood

Cons

hours
    pay
    management
    supervisors
    weather
    rude customers
    these are the worst things about working at kennywood.
    if you plan on working there don't expect to get alot of hours since they over schedule everyone

Advice to Management

raise pay for game members that are out in the sun

10. "great employee environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kennywood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is extremely friendly both between employees and employees and management. Regardless of working in different stalls, departments, etc. you will get to know each other, feel accepted, and become friends.

Cons

They could use an upgrade technologically. registers, cash counting machines, etc. break too often, and even those that do not break could use an upgrade in order to increase speed and efficiency.

Advice to Management

My main advice would be to look into upgrading the park technologically, particularly those machines, registers, etc. used by employees. This would increase efficiency, making for a better customer experience and decreasing overhead for the park.