Kennywood Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harry Henninger

1. "great employee environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kennywood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is extremely friendly both between employees and employees and management. Regardless of working in different stalls, departments, etc. you will get to know each other, feel accepted, and become friends.

Cons

They could use an upgrade technologically. registers, cash counting machines, etc. break too often, and even those that do not break could use an upgrade in order to increase speed and efficiency.

Advice to Management

My main advice would be to look into upgrading the park technologically, particularly those machines, registers, etc. used by employees. This would increase efficiency, making for a better customer experience and decreasing overhead for the park.

2. "Terrible. The Worst Pay To Stand In The Hot 90° Weather! TERRIBLE HOURS"

Former Employee - Games Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Games Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kennywood part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

discount tickets
    super cheap food
    cheap merch
    10% employee discount
    these are honestly the only benefits of working at kennywood

Cons

hours
    pay
    management
    supervisors
    weather
    rude customers
    these are the worst things about working at kennywood.
    if you plan on working there don't expect to get alot of hours since they over schedule everyone

Advice to Management

raise pay for game members that are out in the sun

3. "Great First Job"

Current Employee - Ride Operator in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Ride Operator in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet and work with a lot of people, and I've some lifelong friends. Working in the rides department, you get to move around a lot rather than being stuck in one place all day. It's a great first job to have.

Cons

You have to be very patient with guests which can sometimes be extremely difficult, and some of the other team members can be hard to work with as well.

Advice to Management

Don't make ride crews that don't make sense. If the ride isn't near the rest of them, don't put them together. It makes the day really hard for your team members.

5. "Never Again"

Current Employee - Food and Beverage in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free admission is a plus whenever you actually get a day off.
    Sometimes they are willing to work around your schedule, but only for certain reasons.

Cons

Expectations are too high for what they want you to do. Pay is embarrassing, and therefore, there is a lack of respect for management.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they deserve to be paid. Just because minimum wage is the legal minimum, doesn't mean you can treat your employees so terribly and expect them to come to work every day, work a 8+ hour shift, to make about $50

6. "My Last Two Seasons at Kennywood"

Current Employee - Game Attendant in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Game Attendant in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of time in the sun (which could be good or bad depending on the person)
     - Very social environment, I always see people I know
     - Free admission to Kennywood and its affiliates on your days off

Cons

- Management rarely ever is able to accommodate requests off (including "approved" school events)
     - Hours are sporadic, you never work the same time on any day
     - I don't get my schedule until a day before it's put into effect. Making it hard to make plans around it

Advice to Management

Try to better accommodate schedule needs, and try to give us our schedules at least a week ahead of time

7. "order filler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, PA

I worked at Kennywood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great team work environment. Had lots of fun working with the other people. Met some really nice people

Cons

Pay wasn't the greatest but it was a job. I Had to take a nice travel to get to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you've been a successful business for quite some time and I think you still have much more time to go.

8. "I got plenty hours but it did not show on my paycheck."

Current Employee - Food and Beverage in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You got enough hours and team members are like friends.

Cons

It's like a school, they don't acknowledge how hard you work, and only getting paid 7.25 is not worth it.

"COME BACK HENNINGERS"

Current Employee - Team Member in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Team Member in West Mifflin, PA

Pros

I guess you make decent money but that's only because you work 60 hours a week. Your coworkers are usually great. Keyword being USUALLY.

Cons

Management could care less about you. They will lie to your face and play favorites.

Advice to Management

Put a little more effort into your regular season. Treat you employees nicer and offer better pay. I was pre-palace. It can be done.

10. "Working at kennywood"

Current Employee - Worked In Food and Beverages and Game Department in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood part-time

Pros

-great crew (most of time)
    -Awesome memories with your crew
    -the scenery
    -free access to kennywood idle wild and sandcastle ALTHOUGH you will NEVER get to go because you will work 6/7 days a week
    If you plan on working maybe 3,4 days a week it probably won't happen ESPECIALLY if you're over 18.

Cons

-Rudest managers you will ever have they literally don't care about anything but making mone
    -NO days off and you can barely even get to choose your day off
    -already on debt before you even start ($42 for the shirts and short BUT if you work in food services it will be around $80 for non slip shoes)

Advice to Management

To the owners: INTERVIEW THE PEOPLE BECOMING MANAGERS RATHER THAN MANAGERS CHOOSING WHO THEY LIKE
    To the managers: Don't take your joke of a job so seriously and also be more reasonable with the hours you give employees

11. "The absolute worst job you could possibly have."

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in West Mifflin, PA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in West Mifflin, PA

I worked at Kennywood part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are working with a bunch of other people your age so you meet many new people and form many bonds.

Cons

You are practically nothing. They go through so many people over the summer that they don't value you or the hard work you put in. Even when you go above and beyond with what you do, no one notices. There is little to no organization, and at the end of the year when college students go back to school, they will move you anywhere and everywhere they need you, even though you may have no idea what you are doing. You start out at minimum wage, but you are already in debt because they make you pay for uniform and shoes (3 shirts, 3 shorts, and an ugly pair of non-slip shoes). So they take money out of your paycheck to pay for the uniform you have to wear, which is really uncomfortable. When working here, you have to have at least 5 days a week, and scheduling with them is very difficult for whatever reason, and any day you need off for whatever reason it may be, you will almost always be denied. If you happen to get a job here, you are basically wasting your whole entire summer making next to no money at a job that you will surely hate.

Advice to Management

Give some incentives to your employees instead of treating them like they are replaceable.