Kentucky Blood Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William Reed

1. "Very long days, hard to balance family life"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Louisville, KY

Pros

Great training department, great way to gain experience

Cons

Traveling is involved. I have put 15,000 miles on my vehicle in 6 months.

"Hmmm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center full-time

Pros

Good Question, but cant think of one of the top of my head but you do get a pension plan after 6 years but you will never make it that long.

Cons

To many to list but a few are no Family time, no advancement opportunity like you are told in the interview process, barley paid a living wage, no weekends off, 10 hr days 5 days a week, always criticizing you of your mistakes even if it is just a "Writeover", etc.

Advice to Management

Do productive work, spread the wealth to people keeping the center in business.
    P.S. You are also a dime a dozen

3. "Better than being homeless"

Current Employee - Hospital Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Hospital Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center full-time

Pros

The major pro would be that you get to participate in saving lives and maybe even the quality therein. Also good people working alongside you. Many of which KBC simply doesn't deserve.

Cons

Administration's best strategy is to react late and simply have the lowest paid personnel wing it. Every. Single. Day. All this despite the metric TON of numbers and information that pour in daily. It's as if you're working for children that are doing little more than playing "House." That, and it essentially boils down to anyone wearing a labcoat is to serve as a human shield between Administrators and the FDA.

Also, there is literally zero upward movement.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to compensate your employees commensurate to the contribution given in carrying out the day's mission. Allow for career advancement rather than hiring in outsiders with no experience and even less motivation to perform. We're supposed to be saving lives.

5. "Healthcare without sick people!"

Current Employee - BC Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - BC Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair hourly wage, decent benefits.

I work in mobiles - I go to a different place everyday which is cool. Hours are sometimes long, but I feel appreciated. Great to work with all the awesome donors.

Cons

Hours. Had to make it to work in the recent bad weather.

Advice to Management

Yes, we are regulated by the FDA. I get it. But there really are too many strict rules on how to do your job.

"Awful."

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid training in the very basics of phlebotomy.

Cons

The management is a nightmare, the turn over rate of colleagues and management is amazing. You will be gossiped about and your life made a living hell if you are anything other than a born again Christian. Weekends off? Forget it. Time with your family? Better hire a full time nanny because you will never see your kids again. Work hours can range from 10 to 16 or more hours a day. A day off may come around once every ten days if your lucky. Being an excellent and punctual worker means nothing if your not with the in crowd.

Advice to Management

Read the "no A hole rule" by Robert I. sutton, PhD

"Loved it, wanted to work there forever, then they fired me and everyone else on my shift."

Former Employee - Hospital Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Hospital Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's for a good cause. Most of the non-management people are very amiable and easy to get along with.

Cons

Management are set in their ways, not receptive to new ideas or methods. Very easy to quickly fall out of favor with managers, especially in the technical services area. Employees can be terminated for very trivial reasons, usually for some very vague form of misconduct, so KBC won't have to pay unemployment. If you make a mistake, you will hear about it from QA/QC and your manager over and over again. Unbeknownst to the public, a lot of blood products, namely plasma, are sold to for-profit entities (used for research, cosmetics, etc) for great financial gain to KBC.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like preschoolers.

"No respect and bony fingers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Pros

It is a full time job with benefits. The retirement program is comparable to other companies and parking is close.

Cons

Employees are treated like children. Managers are patronizing and paternalistic. KBC plays the big "Blame-Game" with the fault always settling down the line onto the lower employees. Nothing is ever a manager or director's fault.
    Every stray mark or tiny clerical error is a huge deal and shows up on the employee's performance evaluation.
    My manager marched into our lab once time and announced, "There has been too much talking and too many mistakes in here lately, so we're going to have a 'Day of Silence'!"
    Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, free adults right here in America were forbidden to speak on the job for an entire day or else risk being suspended or fired.
    Now this same manager is spearheading the new Health and Wellness program that is supposed to benefit employees and follow what the employees want. Instead it is just another way for management to control us.
    We are on camera every moment, even in the breakroom and off the clock, and going into the restroom. We never know when the drug testing crew will be brought in to hustle us from our work areas like criminals under arrest. We're herded into the hallway and forced to sit under their watchful eye and the cameras, searched, then forced to urinate with a monitor/collector standing right there at the stall door that has big gaps at the sides. Employees not being tested have to stay away from the restroom. Have to go really bad or on your period? Too bad..you must go all the way to the other hallway on the ground floor.

There is blatent favoritism. One employee was suspended for being 15 minutes late twice in 6 months. Another employee in the same shipping dept. called in over 30 times in one year and nothing happened except she was promoted to a Senior Rep.

Beware of this place. The average length of employment is a mere 2 years. You will be railroaded or fired for no reason. We all never know whether or not our badges will let us in the door or whether HR reps will be waiting to fire us when we arrive.
    Everyone on evening shift freaks out if a director or HR rep pulls in the parking lot and a worried announcement is yelled over the intercom.. "HR/Director is on the premises!"
    Then everyone waits to hear who took the "Walk of Shame".

Advice to Management

Respect your employees more. We have carried you through dozens of inspections and garnered award after award. Compared to other blood centers, you are blessed with quality employees who work very hard. After every FDA inspection, new licensing application approval, new testing equipment implementation, and major system change you always clap your hands and say "Thanks so much!". But then 2 days later you are glowering, firing, and hating again.

You are earning millions with the new product licensing that allows you to sell more products in more places than ever and from now testing 3 more tests in-house instead of sending them off to another lab and paying through the nose.... so how is it that you constantly nitpick and complain?

Employees are aware that the directors have given themselves generous bonuses, while crying poor to hourly employees, half of whom live under the poverty line, and refusing to give raises over 2.8%.

It's becoming clearer to employees that our only option is to join a union.

9. "Boring."

Current Employee - Donor Scheduler in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Donor Scheduler in Lexington, KY

Pros

You get benefits but the job is mind numbing. Just sit on the phone all morning and afternoon making phone calls to donors getting the same response again and again.

Cons

It is boring and not challenging. Sometimes I think the clock starts to go backwords. You get no real chance of getting a raise. Something like 5% every other year.

10. "It's all about perception"

Pros

Occasional bonuses (not a large amount, but it's something), Employer sponsored pension plan, tax deferred 403(b), decent coworkers (below the management level), free Flu and Hepatitis B shots, a lot of time spent riding in company vehicles meaning you basically get paid to sit for a few hours a day (mobile department only).

Cons

Only a 15 minute lunch (mobile department) with no other breaks, the schedule is extremely unpredictable (just because you're scheduled off at a certain time doesn't mean you'll actually be getting off at that time), mandatory overtime with no concern for the staffs mental and physical well-being, management tends to promote less qualified staff members, managers and upper executives get extremely large bonuses compared to staff members (who actually do the work that makes the money), human resources has a reputation for keeping small mistakes on record and then using them to terminate employees when they get on their "bad side", managers will pretty much hire anyone off the street without doing proper interviews and then those employees usually leave abruptly causing a staff shortage (doubling, if not tripling, the workload of other members).

Advice to Management

Stop making decisions without staff input. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE JOB, even though you like to think you do. You keep losing people because the average human can only take so much abuse. A 55 hour work week IS NOT OKAY when people have families. The dress code should be revised (not all tattoos are offensive). Stop telling people to have a good weekend, because chances are that they haven't had the past 3 weekends in a row off (it's kind of a slap in the face). You already know what needs to be changed, you just refuse to put in the effort to change it. Phlebotomist are, in your own words, "a dime a dozen".

11. "The inefficiency of a non profit"

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center full-time

Pros

Affordable health insurance, wellness program, pension plan.

Cons

Inept management. Little concern showed when wasteful practices are brought to their attention. Managers receive no training on how to actually communicate and manage their employees. Employees often treated in a very belittling manor. Employee suggestions to improve inefficiencies at the blood center are not encouraged or nurtured when brought to their attention.

Advice to Management

Pay particular attention to your sales force. The DRS's, that are key to bringing In blood to your Center, are not just mismanaged but not managed it all. It is a case of the tail wagging the dog. They cost countless hours and untold amounts of money to the blood center by not following the very simple standard operating procedures that are put in place for them. No one ever holds their feet to the fire and they continue to waste the resources of the organization.