Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance CEO Bradley R. Smith
Bradley R. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Programmer Analyst 1 Co-op"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good work life balance, caring people.

Cons

Moving up can be iffy. Room to move up can be absent.

"Adjuster"

Former Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is understanding and willing to work with you to meet your needs.
    Health Insurance and Retirement are top of the line.
    Compensation is fair.

Cons

The workload is heavy at times, there is a lot of stress related to denying claims and as a multi-line adjuster there are many different aspects to learn.

"Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

Pros

Immediate management cares about the staff. The company remains flexible with family issues. Really enjoy my co-workers. Great insurance. KFB does a lot for the community.

Cons

Upper management does not seem to care. They work the salaried employees and run them into the ground. The claim loads are triple any other insurance companies. They do not pay well. They keep promoting people that don't have knowledge or confidence to make decisions. Upper management does not seem to go to bat and keep making us work more hours, weekends with zero compensation. Middle management can't seem to help the situation. It appears that anyone that complains is black balled.

Advice to Management

Help us!!! We are dying here. Study other companies. This is a hard job and you are literally killing us. The people under the pension program can't go anywhere, but you are literally running the company into the ground. Do you not care about your employees or the customers? It's impossible to provide good service!!!

"Great company"

I worked at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very positive and takes care of employees as well as policy holders.

Cons

Difficult to advance or move to different departments if you work in an agent's office. Because they are seen as separate companies, you are seen as an outside candidate.

"State Office Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture that really prides on tradition and cares about their employees. Goes above and beyond for employee appreciation events, and their recent take on wellness has been incredible. Half day fridays!

Cons

The culture can also be very political, and you have to watch how you act or speak out or you may get "black listed" within the company quickly. It can be very difficult to transfer positions, or get promotions within the company. Even if all criteria is met for a promotion, you may not get it because you may not be the most favored. A lot of the people that work for this company have worked here since high school, so they are very tightly knit and can be very cliquey if you're coming in from the outside.

Advice to Management

There has been a lot of turnover recently with people retiring - I would encourage HR to look at candidates that are the best equipped for the job, more so than people that have been with the company for a long time. It might not be a bad idea to get in people from the outside that have big ideas and plans for the company. I'm hoping with the new leadership that has recently come into place, KFB will have some changes for the better.

6. "Overall"

I have been working at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time

Pros

I have worked at Kentucky Farm Bureau for quite some time. This company may be the last bastion of respect and concern for employees left in Kentucky. The work environment is low stress for most. compared to other companies in the Louisville area. There are always exceptions and management is aware and are always looking for ways to adjust the stress levels down. The salaries are on average a little lower than other larger companies but the value of the benefits plans put us a notch above other companies in my opinion. People think the grass is always greener on the other side. I have been there, it is not. If you are chasing the big bucks with little benefits, KFB is not for you. If you want a long term career where promotion can come from within, the benefits are very good and would like to work for an employer who cares about it's employees and members, then KFB is the company for you.

Cons

There are always little things you can pick out. There are no real issues that stand out to me that should make someone leave other than we are a medium size company so there will not be as much room for advancement as there are in larger companies.

Advice to Management

Our management team is very intelligent, yet down to earth. their concern for maintaining good relations with their work force is evident, whether in the State office or at the agency level. My advice would be to continue being the great team that you are.

7. "Claims"

Pros

work life balance, benefits are great, coworkers are supportive. The job is still stressful, but I can't think of a better place to handle claims.

Cons

At times management could relax and trust their people, because most are always working for the good of the company. But this not often ... And minimal in the big picture.

Advice to Management

Trust that you hired the right team.

8. "Java programmer"

Pros

low pressure of work, chance to work on applications end to end, good team , coworkers and managers

Cons

little low pay but is compensated with good work environment

9. "Insurance agent"

I have been working at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time

Pros

great, helpful, people who actually care about you and help you succeed

Cons

nothing comes to mind currently

Advice to Management

none

10. "Claims Adjuster"

I have been working at Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance full-time

Pros

great work environment, friendly personable management, great benefits

Cons

can't think of anything that needs changing

Advice to Management

keep up the good work