Kerkering Barberio & Co Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Kerkering Barberio & Co CEO Robert Lane
Robert Lane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay, fantastic colleagues, room for advancement, great perks (meals during tax season, give always, acknowledgements) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The cons about working at KB is that tax season is very busy and at times this can be stressful and affect your work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

1. "KB is for real"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Kerkering Barberio & Co full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

KB has a great culture and good hard working people. I don't think there is a smarter group of people working together in the state of Florida.

Cons

Compensation is much lower than the national average. There is a very high turnover given the nature of tax season.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fire and focus on retaining middle managers, especially ones that start as interns. Get some ROI on your investment, don't let them walk!

2. "Staff Accountant, CPA"

I have been working at Kerkering Barberio & Co full-time

Pros

Great environment, overtime pay during tax season and breakfast on Fridays!

Cons

I don't have any cons.

3. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Executive Administrative Assistant in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Cons

Lack of training by management

Jun 15, 2016 – Managing Partner

Thank you for providing insight on your personal experience in working with Kerkering Barberio. We work hard to create an environment that is rewarding to our team members, and many of your positive... More

4. "Average"

Former Employee - Accountant in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Accountant in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Kerkering Barberio & Co (Less than a year)

Pros

HR team is one of the best, most professional out there. They put in maximum effort to keep employees satisfied and relations smooth.

Cons

None nothing not a thing.

Advice to Management

As with most smaller firms, more training.
    More team building for more group cohesiveness increased morale and less exclusionary behavior.

Jun 15, 2016 – Managing Partner

We appreciate your candid feedback regarding your employment with Kerkering Barberio, and thank you for recognizing the efforts of our HR team, which works hard to make our company one of the leading... More

5. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Great place to work. Flexible work environment; opportunity for growth if you are hard working and passionate about your job; and large firm with great resources / people for complex accounting work.

Cons

None. Great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Jun 15, 2016 – Managing Partner

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your career with KB. We agree that there are many opportunities for growth and are pleased to facilitate an environment of both personal and... More

6. "great work environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Kerkering Barberio & Co full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to work remotely; production bonuses; rebates for generating new work

Cons

some lack of communication; isolation of "teams"

Advice to Management

needs to be more inter-team communication

Jun 15, 2016 – Managing Partner

Thanks for providing this feedback of your work experience with Kerkering Barberio. The points you identify help us to know what our team members value and areas that we may look at to improve. We... More

"Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Kerkering Barberio & Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They want you trained. They care about their employees and retaining them for the long term. The perks are extremely competitive.

Cons

Tax Season. If you can't handle the pressure probably not for you.

"Very good company to work for"

I have been working at Kerkering Barberio & Co full-time

Pros

KB is a company which strives to keep its employees happy. Effort is made during the busy seasons to keep employees positive & motivated: dinner provided at times, massages, special events like lunches & contests, a supportive atmosphere. HR makes an effort to seek out issues and resolve them. Management seems honestly concerned with keeping a work-life balance to help avoid burn-out & turnover. Also, the company is extremely flexible during slow seasons, and even during busy season to a reasonable point. Open door policy is great for bouncing ideas around.

If you are a self-starter, your career path here will be very bright, with lots of opportunities. If you need to be micro-managed to accomplish things, you may have a harder time with the culture. There is no "good old boys club" at KB; if you work hard and well, you are rewarded.

Cons

401k match could be a lot better/bigger.

Like any public accounting firm, work during the busy seasons is intense. However, KB does a great job at trying to make things easier on employees.

"Good company, good benefits, some retention issues"

I have been working at Kerkering Barberio & Co full-time

Pros

A company that gets many of the small things right when it comes to employees. Recognizes birthdays, has cookouts on the parking deck, no "mandatory fun" events.
    There is a strong focus on using best practices and tools that are usually not seen except in larger corporate settings, this is good. Development is provided not just on technical skills, but on soft skills also.
    Offices are nice and working schedule is flexible according to each employees needs.
    Employees are treated respectfully, fairly and professionally.
    Lots of room to grow, if you are a self-starter.

Cons

Largest issue currently appears to be retention of long-term and upper level employees.
    This raises the question if employee concerns are not being addressed appropriately with each individual to avoid loss of talent.
    More structured and targeted training and development plan/system could be developed.
    Some perception issues may be being caused because higher levels have become too separated from the front-line preparation and don't have a feedback system in place to address items that don't affect them directly.

Advice to Management

Keep working to build buy-in on initiatives that benefit the company in the long-term.
    Be careful that an initiative doesn't just fade away... as this can be perceived as a failure to follow through or close the loop.
    Remember to listen to lower levels as the younger generations can provide insights or different ways of viewing a situation.
    Overall, company is responsive to people and their needs, but there is some disconnect that is causing the loss of talent.

"Great firm to work for!"

I have been working at Kerkering Barberio & Co full-time

Pros

I enjoy working at KB because of the variety of project opportunities offered. I also like the flexibility and the fact that I never feel like I am being micro-managed. KB has an open door policy and I can always go to my supervisor and ask questions. In addition, they provide financial assistance for the CPA exam and have fun events throughout the year. I also like the fact that we get paid for overtime hours and/or have to option to bank the extra hours for future use during slow season.

Cons

The cons about working at KB is that tax season is very busy and at times this can be stressful and affect your work/life balance. However, this comes with working at any CPA firm.