Kespry Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2018

4.0
George Mathew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Meaningful work. Going through mid-stage growing pains."

I have been working at Kespry full-time

Pros

- Smart, hardworking team solving hard problems
    - Good perks
    - Fast pace work environment

Cons

- Challenging growing pains of a mid-stage company
    - Market is still evolving and continues to remain hectic
    - Teams are still too siloed

Advice to Management

Stay focused on solving ongoing product/market fit issues.
    Pay closer attention to the quality of 'middle management' hires/promotions.

2. "If I knew what I was getting into...I wouldn't be here"

I have been working at Kespry full-time

Pros

-Good pay

-Free lunch everyday

-*some* really friendly and kind coworkers, and *some* that genuinely work really hard/help others in efforts to make Kespry successful however they can.

-industry and customers are really down to earth people, and the aggregates/mining/insurance customers we serve aren't traditional "tech" customers.

-some days leadership intermingles with staff at either happy hours or lunches.

Cons

-legacy employees are rude, bossy, and bully others, and gang up with each other to keep the company going the way they want it to.

-no diversity whatsoever, and definitely no mention of company positions/efforts to hire equitably and inclusively --- let alone prioritize inclusion initiatives for existing employees. Just look at our board and leadership bios on our website...enough said. There's no company dialogue on bringing people of different backgrounds to that management/board level. It's embarassing to be a part of a company so silent on any pressing and important equity dialogues, while so loud on other "pet project" initiatives from employees with the loudest voices and connections directly to the CEO to prioritize these initiatives (Breakline "partnerships")

-no real promotion paths unless you are a legacy employee, and the only visible promotions celebrated are....the legacy people...

-no long term product vision, lots of infighting and finger pointing. No one knows what success looks like for Kespry long term.

-morale is reaaaallllyyy low and energy/focus is dangerously low, making it difficult to feel excited to work here nowadays

-some team members (esp engineering) get away/exploit working remotely way too regularly, and no one from their respective management team provides a strong managerial voice to keep their teams in check --- offices are regularly empty and quiet on Thursdays and Fridays.

-industry is proving harder to sell to, product saturation is increasing and competitors catching up.

-The blind drinking of the product kool-aid has led this company to run in circles for way too long.

-NO HR DEPARTMENT - it's a mix of current business roles that have to fake operate as HR in different ways, but not really taking care of HR itself. it really, really shows.

Advice to Management

-engineering should stop pointing fingers and ganging up with each other to oust anyone but their own team and take a hard look at engineering productivity and lack of team collaboration. They're all busy looking outward and blaming others when their employees are consistently not in the office or willing to work as a coherent unit with the rest of the organization. Many are difficult to work with or just plain don't show up for really crazy reasons/long vacations and get away with it. How is this ok??

-Legacy employees and lack of new vision/strong senior leadership is running this place to the ground. You get low morale and employee frustration because of the way this place is run.

-Promote from within more broadly and reward hard working employees (not just *your* favorites that are already middle/senior level management for no real reason), and celebrate your promotions consistently.

-Figure out a long lasting product vision and roadmap ASAP.

- You're working some team members really hard, to no recognition or appreciation. Often times, it's the opposite when it trickles down to staff - lots of cracking the whip and blunt frustration from management/leaders after it's too late. Stop blaming the employees, without looking around at who makes the decisions and how.

-Provide a safe, happy, and enjoyable place to work for everyone of all backgrounds.
    No elitism, "looking down from your high castle", or bro/boys stereotypical Silicon Valley tech startup. You're really going to struggle long term unless you course correct, and do it aggressively. Making excuses for culture and inclusion will and has backfired already.

-be more transparent, and be realistic about our industry, product, and team. Struggling to hit financial goals quarterly is not something you just glaze over for 2 minutes in an all hands, and neither is aggressive staff attrition for reasons above. People are probably plenty happier at another company run way better, and that is sad for the Kespry team.

"Ignorance, Incompetence and Ego"

I worked at Kespry full-time

Pros

For the moment, Kespry is at the right time and place for UAS. Buoyed by the collapse of some of their competitors, the available market is growing and any real competition appears to be shrinking. Recent strategic partnerships also promise a lift in marketing and visibility for the company and its products. The homegrown hardware is quite impressive and can rival most any competitor. Staffed (for the moment) by some very smart people, they can do most anything they want in the aerial intelligence domain.

Cons

Kespry is a cluster of mis-management. In true start-up form, the initiatives to keep the company alive can best be summed up as, "everything, all at once." There is no single direction or strategy that anyone in management can point to and articulate a clear vision of what it means to succeed. Morale is in the toilet as more and more personnel find the exit.

To suggest that the personalities are "strong" would be an understatement. Unless you cherish the opportunity to be micro-managed and second-guessed, this is probably not the place for you.

Diversity? HR? Non-existent. This is an autocracy. Decisions, especially those made in the software domain, are often myopic and clouded by a "not invented here" mindset that prevents any real advancement and innovation.

Advice to Management

Wake up.

The entire organization is crumbling beneath your feet. Find the rot and excise it. Don't dismiss real criticism as "differences of opinion." Stop coddling self-indulgent employees and build a culture that is open, collaborative and successful. Until that time, there is not enough lipstick for this pig.

"imploding due to egos and lack of experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Kespry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast paced
    good solid core of employees
    huge potential
    company socials
    intelligent and motivated coworkers
    competitive salaries
    good benefits
    free lunches

Cons

momentum on the downturn for last 8-12 months
    exec egos
    nice ceo but lacks experience. letting exec team ruin the company
    little to no opportunities for advancement
    not promoting from within
    nepotism and favoritism has set in at exec level. letting go of and losing the best employees because of this.
    cross departmental tension and silos - poor communications between all groups but especially product/sales/customer success
    lack of exec industry experience, product has fallen behind the competition
    turnover growing and morale dropping
    not a serious surveying system no matter how much you throw marketing at it. typical silicon valley mentality that they know best (think airware). renewal rates reflect this

Advice to Management

BOD needs to understand it's the employees that built this company and got Kespry to where we are today. Too many layers of management and execs in the company lately have hindered team communication, innovation and the ability to work in an efficient and productive manner.

Instead of being market leaders, we have become reactive and spend more time putting out fires. Take a serious look at your executive team before blaming employees and cutting jobs. There's a solid group of skilled and experienced employees who are passionate about this company. Unfortunately they are overlooked and rarely listened to. This ultimately falls on the CEOs shoulders. Also, if you don't 'kiss up' to the execs and ceo, good luck on any career advancement.

When you stop innovating a product for 12+ months and deals are lost to competition, while at the same time seeing your renewal rates decline, it's not time to blame your sales, marketing or customer support team. It's time to be concerned of your exec team.

Get back to the basics of building a solid product, becoming leaders again and stop worrying about head counts, appearance and executive hires. Get the team atmosphere back. Trim the exec fat and get back to being transparent. This isn't a 'transition period' or 'growing pains', it's a lack of leadership from the top down.

btw - most of the 2017/18 overly positive reviews are padded. we were told to do so in order to attract new hires.

"Room for improvement."

I worked at Kespry full-time

Pros

Kespry has incredible technology, hands down a unique place to work.
    CEO & Chairman is a pretty cool guy. I love working at companies where you have a CEO who is approachable and engaged. I'll forever have a soft spot in my heart for George.
    The President is also a pretty funny guy, he values people who work hard and very much so cares about the culture.
    I laughed a lot and built a strong network of people I admire and trust.
    There is some AWESOME talent @ the company- more awesome than not.
    When I worked for Kespry, I felt like I had a ton of freedom and trust from my direct manager. That is because I am a HARD worker and proved myself capable.

Cons

I only gave Kespry four stars because I think the core areas that need to be addressed are easy fixes; product, marketing, cs.

Product leadership will blame others for the lack of innovation, and point a ton of fingers. There's an old saying when you point a finger, there's usually ten pointing back at you.

Leadership favors the wrong people at times. There are two core individuals on the CS team that 80 percent of the org does not care to work with, but they're still somehow overlooked. It almost felt like if you showed enough face, you would get ahead. I know I am not the only one who thought that either.

You cannot hire people who do not have the right experience and legit references to get the job done. Hiring to hire, is a very bad idea. To my point above about freedom and trust, if you're not hiring the right people, and mixing in bad management, it creates stress for everyone and a ton of turnover.

Many of the people who I started with left. I'll admit some of them needed to go. Some of them should've had their voice heard and been taken more seriously.

Marketing leadership is on another level of rude, arrogant, and invasive. This is the most glaring issue.

Advice to Management

I would like to remind Glassdoor readers that these reviews are one person's experience and perspective. Kespry will rise if the executive team addresses the people who kill the culture. If you don't know who they are, ask around.

Also, hire someone in HR, full time. How are people supposed to complain about management issues with no one to go to?

"Culture Has Shifted Under New Leadership"

I worked at Kespry full-time

Pros

- Many hard working team members within the organization

Cons

- Leadership team is a bit misguided and has taken a hard handed approach to running the company.
    - Leadership doesn't put in the effort to grow and develop employees. They would rather replace them than train them.
    - Culture has become volatile and aggressive .

"Middle management has little to no actual management skill."

I worked at Kespry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic group of people to work with.
    Exciting market to work in.
    Tech company level benefits (catered lunches, excellent insurance packages).
    When the product and service worked(!), clients were truly excited at the efficiencies gained.

Cons

Corrosive middle-management style (read: witnessed some petty, immature behavior towards subordinates that I was surprised to see in the work-place).
    Found middle-management to be disingenuous at best, two-faced at worst.
    Saw groups of people laid off/fired--horrible for moral.
    No actual internal HR department. If you experience something that should be brought to HR your actual recourse is to either quit or try to transfer to another group in the hopes you can avoid the toxic person(s).
    Often encountered resistance from my direct supervisor and our group manager when attempting to fulfill what, I thought, was my job description (part of job title no less). Wish I had that clarity from supervisor from the beginning, would have avoided conflict and misalignment of expectations.

Advice to Management

I would avoid over-promising and under-delivering, puts everyone who interacts with clients in a compromised position. Part of my job description should have read “Professional Apologist”.
    If your going to promote people up to management positions (yah, that is great to see!), I highly recommend providing these selected individual management training (or at minimum communication skills classes). To say I found this sorely lacking would be generously put.
    It's one thing to espouse and paint a rather rosy corporate culture, but altogether another to execute. I saw behaviors from all levels of management that had me questioning my choice to join Kespry.

"Brilliant minds + leader problems at times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Kespry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A) Some brilliant people live here
    B) When things go well, energy is great
    C) President really cares about employees
    D) Engineering / hardware dev group is top-notch and beats all odds when challenged to deliver for customers

Cons

A) Concerns due to growing pains
    B) Negativity coming from the top down to middle levels
    C) Select team leaders need realignment and/or time to replace

Advice to Management

When I interviewed, things were different than past couple months. Everybody was happy and productive.

Now you have team leaders who could not market or sell their own products in charge. Get folks who want to make a difference for customers over price numbers and activity metrics so they look good internally.

Below review is def fake news. Hopefully there is changing acoming b/c you’re best folks are unhappy or overwhelmed or both.

"BOD needs to trim the fat"

I worked at Kespry full-time

Pros

President is a wonderful & personable leader

CEO has good product vision - needs to learn customers profiles better

Sales & CS leaders need to be seriously looked at. You know what you need to do. Confidence in them and team spirit is down hardcore.

It isn't your employees that are leaving that is the problem - it's your Mgmt team and how certain individuals treat us.

Good product and engineering biz, keep these ppl

Cons

Is there a clear vision from mgmt to employees? No. that's why I left on my own accord.

No real growth chances unless you are a few select favorites.

Advice to Management

BOD needs to trim the fat off upper mgmt. because you have some untrustworthy leadership in place.

Find the right leaders with proven experience. You have a good CEO. You need to eliminate recent hires underneath before more talent jumps ship.

"Great company with drive for innovation and success"

I have been working at Kespry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast paced, user experience driven, innovative.

Cons

Lacking quality product management experience and direction