Kessler International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Apart from the health plans, everything is great!"

I worked at Kessler International full-time

Pros

I worked at Kessler International in the beginning of my career, and because of that on my resume, I got accepted in more than half of the companies that I applied for. The place is a great place to learn and to get hands-on experience with some of the most challenging projects from around the world. The juniors are treated as professionals and get exposure to major projects right from the beginning.

Cons

The health plan is lacking as the benefits provided are not enough.

Advice to Management

Create a detailed health plan with appropriate benefits.

"Horribly Heinous People & Office Environment"

Former Employee - Forensic Accountant
    Former Employee - Forensic Accountant

I worked at Kessler International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Immersive job duties – as an employee, you are involved in cases start to finish and responsible for the work product presented to clients/courts
    - Variety of casework is stimulating – no case is ever the same as the one before
    - Ample desk space provided
    - Ability to develop close relationships with coworkers in a small office environment
    - Opportunity to travel with some expenses reimbursed
    - Health, dental, vision, life, disability, and pet insurance offered
    - Bereavement pay offered
    - 1 Hour Lunch Break
    - Informative employee handbook policy that details information about insurance, time off, and hiring/dismissal procedures, security measures, etc.

Cons

- DISHONEST! All of the 4 star+ reviews were written by management in an attempt to bring their average rating above 1 star. This positive trolling started in June 2016 and has successfully increased the average rating to 4 stars – CHECK THE RATING TRENDS! DO NOT BE FOOLED; these reviews do not represent most employees’ experiences. The negative reviews are pretty accurate for the most part.
    - NO TRAINING! Regarding my experience, the CEO told upper management, “Let’s see if she sinks or swims.” There is no written protocol for employees to refer to. They are left to troubleshoot on their own and then be reprimanded, and sometimes fired, by management for not doing work properly.
    - NO OPPORTUNITY TO WORK OVERSEAS! In my interview, I was told that Kessler International has international offices, which they do, but they’re not staffed. On the rare occasion that they are staffed, they’re staffed with receptionists who answer the phones, take messages, and forward mail. THIS COMPANY IS MUCH SMALLER THAN I WAS LEAD TO BELIEVE IN MY INTERVIEW!
    - Management has TWO SHIH TZU DOGS that hang around the office. They are constantly barking, running, or defecating wherever they please. There was even a joke made about a coworker stepping in dog feces while trying to use the copier
    - DIRTY OFFICE SPACE!! I have never sneezed so much in my life than the 9 months I spent at my desk. There is so much dust in the air, mold in the basement/storage areas, and dog excrement stains on the carpets. When I was a new hire, my desk still had food remnants on it from the last person
    - Management is very anal about time management. This company’s complex billing process requires that EMPLOYEES RECORD WHAT THEY SPENT THEIR TIME ON IN 6 MINUTES INTERVALS! Also, management’s clocks are fast (about 5 minutes) and they expect you to be at work according to their clocks, but come time to leave they expect you to wait until your clock’s time
    - NO RESPECT FOR EMPLOYEES’ TIME! Management expects for employees to stay until the job is complete even if it means staying late. At times, employees have stayed overnight
    - MANAGEMENT MONITORS YOUR INTERNET USAGE CLOSELY
    - MICROMANAGEMENT! Employees are often halted in their duties because they need management’s approval to continue and the end result is projects taking twice as long to complete
    - NO OPPORTUNITY TO GROW WITH THE COMPANY PERSONALLY OR PROFESSIONALLY! If you work here you may get a pay raise, but there is little hope that your position will change much unless you intend to stay with the company for many years (most don’t stay a full year)
    - EMPLOYEES TEND NOT TO STAY MORE THAN A FEW MONTHS HERE. In the time I was employed here, 10 people came and went; I was only there for 9 months. Management is constantly advertising on Craigslist saying this position is “a great opportunity for a recent college graduate.” They really mean they’re looking for naïve people to pay a low salary
    - NO PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS! If there are, then they are behind closed doors without the employee being reviewed present. This is really unproductive because the employees have no constructive criticism from management to know whether or not they’re doing their job up to management’s standards. At this job, you really don’t know whether you’re doing the job right or not; management does not communicate what they feel you could improve on to help the organization
    - TIME OFF POLICY IS UNREALISTIC! During your first year with this company you accrue time off, but you cannot use any until the following year. There is a probationary period of 90 days for which you do not accrue any time off. Thereafter, 0.25 days of sick time is accrued for every month of service, you receive 5 vacation days after one year of service, and 10 days after two years of service. That is vacation time limit. You could work here for 10 years and still only get 10 vacation days every year. TO GET ONE PAID DAY OFF, YOU NEED TO HAVE WORKED HERE FOR 7 MONTHS! And that counts as a sick day, which management may ask for verification from a doctor.
    - EERILY QUIET OFFICE. No music or cell phones allowed, just ringing phones, intercom, and management’s fussing. Generally a negative environment
    - PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE office memos sent when an employee does not follow protocol rather than discussing with employee
    - The amount of FORENSIC ACCOUNTING WORK HAS BEEN DECLINING FROM PREVIOUS YEARS. Often times I was asked to do other types of work such as trademark and copyright infringement research and notices, inventory, or document destruction (which should really be shredded)
    - REIMBURSEMENTS of any kind can take upwards to three months to receive depending on the CEO’s financial and staffing position
    - HEALTH INSURANCE is very expensive and the amount of the employer’s contribution varies by employee depending on management’s personal preference and financial situation

Overall, I learned a lot from this company in terms of what I don’t want from my employer. As a college graduate, this was a brutal learning experience and I hope my review will save others from making the same mistake. I recommend reading all the reviews listed here so you can see the drastic difference between the reviews that were written by management and the ones written by lower level employees.

Advice to Management

- INVEST IN YOUR EMPLOYEES: TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES! GIVE THEM MORE TIME OFF! COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY! Your employees are your greatest asset and your business pays for it every time one of them leaves or does a job incorrectly.
    - Create a protocol handbook so that employees know how to do their jobs properly to protect clientele and evidence
    - Say thank you more often. Appreciation goes a long way
    - If you insist on hiring recent college graduates or paying people a low salary, maybe consider offering benefits that will attract them such as a tuition assistance programs or loan repayment programs. Then you can offer them a lower salary in exchange for a very useful benefit
    - Properly destroy old case files and personal clientele information. That type of information should really be shredded
    - Leave the dogs at home or in someone else’s care while you’re working; they’re distracting and can be disgusting when their excrement isn’t taken care of. NO ONE WANTS TO STEP IN YOUR DOG’S CRAP WHILE TRYING TO WORK FOR YOU; ITS DEGRADING
    - DEEP CLEAN THE OFFICE SPACE! It will keep your employees and furry friends healthier and your office space more enjoyable to be in

3. "A great place to be for someone who’s not afraid to learn"

I worked at Kessler International full-time

Pros

The that I learned during my tenure there was that the workplace is suitably professional. The new comers are treated as professionals and are allowed to be on major cases with the seniors, which I believe is what promotes learning and boosts self-esteem. Although it is certainly hard to reach the top-tier individuals, everything else runs quite smoothly best part about Kessler

Cons

Lack of proper communication with the management.

Advice to Management

Ensure a stable and speedy communication system in place so that people can reach out easily whenever they need an issue to be resolved.

4. "THE company for a workaholic!"

I have been working at Kessler International full-time

Pros

At Kessler, you can get to work with the best people in the industry. The projects that the company receives are from big companies from all over the world, and even junior get the change to be in on those demanding projects. The workload is tough, but it is to be expected from a skilled and experienced corporate investigation firm.

Cons

The junior employees get work stress due to the workload.

Advice to Management

Make it clear while hiring that the workload would be great, so that the newcomers would be prepared for it beforehand.

5. "An amazing learning experience with experts who know what they are doing"

I have been working at Kessler International full-time

Pros

I have been an employee at Kessler International for about a year now, and I can proudly say that I have learned quite a lot during this time. Each new case is an exciting challenge and the highly skilled staff is quite accommodating in sharing their expertise with the newbies.

Cons

There are no opportunities for internships.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that the company set up internship programs to bridge the gap between academia and industry, and allow the rookies to learn about the industry.

6. "More leaves for newer employees!"

I have been working at Kessler International full-time

Pros

I like Kessler a lot and it is a place that I truly enjoy working at. I have been able to work with many top level corporate forensic experts within a few months and I believe is a great way to add to your knowledge. This place has been great for me from the day I joined. There are many learning opportunities and within a month I was given the chance to work on a major project. It was that time that I truly come to know the senior level employees of the company. They all helped me overcome cold feet and make me feel relaxed.

Cons

As a newer employee, I was not given many leaves.

Advice to Management

Add more leaves for employees with genuine reasons, especially for those being confirmed at the firm. I also would love to see more team building activities so everyone can interact with one another.

7. "Ample exposure!"

I have been working at Kessler International full-time

Pros

This company offers so much learning. As a new employee, at first I thought the workload was crazy, but soon I started to enjoy it. By working for various clients around the world, I was able to gain more experience in the field of corporate forensics. I worked on an interesting intellectual property project for a foreign company. We won the case, but it was a rough ride. In the end, only the exposure we got mattered.

Cons

Poor employee recreation and entertainment.

Advice to Management

Introduce better programs for employees who have completed one year at the firm.

"Always Exciting!"

I have been working at Kessler International full-time

Pros

Every day at Kessler is a new day with unique set of challenges. Those not interesting in working hard might find this company too demanding, but for someone like me, it really enjoy here. I love getting to learn so many new things and working with big names of the corporate world. What’s more is that the entire team is incredibly helpful, even the managers. They are always ready to engage with the staff and keep their connections strong with each one of them.

Cons

The workload can get overwhelming when there are more ongoing projects.

Advice to Management

More free time for employees.

"A great step towards a solid career in forensic expertise"

Pros

I worked at Kessler International in my early career and the experience I received on the job helped me grow. With their name on my resume, I was highly respected wherever I applied for a job and secured a great place in a renowned firm.

Cons

There is Lack of internship opportunities.

Advice to Management

None

"#fakenews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson Station, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson Station, NY

I worked at Kessler International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Drawing a blank on anything that would be remotely considered a positive to being associated with this company. Avoid at all costs.

Cons

Looking through these reviews, anything that has 2 stars or more has a high probability of being from management. This company only has a staff (minus management) of a writer, accountant, computer forensic personnel and receptionist.

There are about 25 reviews during the most recent calendar year, with only 4 staffed positions it is clear to see the intent of this organization. #fakenews. The majority of these posts are made by management in a egotistical attempt to glorify an otherwise horrific working environment and deplorable organization.

Belligerent employer - check
    Non-housebroken dogs - check
    Horrendous benefits - check
    Belittling employees - check
    Lack of training - check

Advice to Management

Dissolve the corporation.

MK - May karma always be you co-pilot in life.