Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey A. Arnol

"Welcoming Workplace with Great Growth Potential"

Pros

There is an opportunity for professional growth and development. My communication, problem-solving and leadership skills have flourished during my time at KOS. As you move along your career path, the Partners, Directors and Managers prefer that you communicate with their clients in order to gain and enhance skills that are necessary in this field. The leadership at KOS allows for independent thinking which has enhanced my problem-solving skills. Over time I have been able to recognize problems and formulate a solution in an efficient an effective manner. Recently the firm has experienced growth through acquisitions. This is an example of how the partner group is investing in its staff’s future. The staff have an opportunity to “take the bull by the horns” and work with these new clients which eventually can be transitioned to them. The firm has allowed its staff to participate on various committees that determine the firm’s procedures and policies. The partners are committed to helping the staff mold their career. Career advancement can be exponential at KOS if you are committed which is evident at the manager and staff level.

Cons

Can be difficult at times to switch between accounting, audit and tax work. My preferred method of learning is repetition. But definitely a plus for inexperienced professionals who are still trying to determine their career path. Slightly understaffed at the moment and are facing the same staffing issues that a vast majority of accounting firms are facing.

Advice to Management

Maybe consider opening a satellite office in the city, if not in the city than in the Evanston area. The commute can be tough some times. Continue to keep the staff informed and involved.

"Not for me. Probably not for you."

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

- Flexible environment
    - Most people are nice
    - Opportunity to work on a variety of work
    - Salary is fine

Cons

As I write this I am preparing my exit from the firm (as soon as I can get an offer from somewhere else).

Work is disorganized. Leadership, although friendly, have a difficult time managing the firm and creating a place where you actually want to try hard. They act like they care, but at the end of the day, they just want to make sure you're billing enough hours to their clients.

If you picture public accounting as an environment where you learn a lot, work with really professional people and clients, and do interesting work, you will be disappointed. Some partners are smart and professional, but there's a definitely creepy factor that I never expected to find at an accounting firm.

Should've listened to my friends and went with a bigger firm where there is more opportunity (and I accept that I probably will need to work harder).

Advice to Management

Read and act on the feedback you receive.

Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. Response

Jan 27, 2016 – Partner

I am the firm’s Human Resources Director. We take the feedback in the above post very seriously, as we strive to promote a professional, safe and collegial work environment at KOS. Based on the ... More

"Terrible Work Life Balance - Avoid!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

- Upward mobility for those willing to put in the time and work hard

Cons

- Way too much work (audits and tax returns) given the number of staff
    - Newer leadership is bringing down the morale of the firm
    - High turnover from past few years now making sense to current staff; another wave of high turnover is coming

Advice to Management

Stop growing for the sake of growing and keep in mind the staff who work hard for you.

Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. Response

Dec 14, 2015 – Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are committed to creating a comfortable and collaborative environment for all our employees so we are disappointed to hear about some of your ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hinsdale, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hinsdale, IL

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to be involved in many different tasks each day
    Flexibility in schedule, good life/work balance
    Employees are nice and collaborative
    Employees are cared about

Cons

Great potential to make this firm an innovator in the CPA arena

Advice to Management

Continue to let employees grow and be involved with clients and continue to be open to new ideas

"Great Opportunity for Involvement and Growth"

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

Management has an open door policy, encourages people to give their feedback, be part of the growth and development of the firm and genuinely cares about its employees. Happy employees will result in happy clients. I am proud to work for such a company

Cons

The grass isn't always greener on the other side every company has its pros and cons. There is a lot of opportunity to be part of making this firm a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek employee involvement, provide them the tools they need to grow and listen to their needs you are moving un the right direction.

"Happy to come to work everyday"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Deerfield, IL

Pros

Flexible work hours, clear growth opportunities, two reviews a year with relevant feedback, great mentor program, ability to pick your specialty as well as work on other accounting area's. Partners have an open door policy. Partners make an effort to respect work-life balance outside of tax season.

Cons

The firm has had some growing pains as it is transitioning to a bigger firm. Partners appear to be addressing these issue's. Tax season hours are not flexible. Which is the norm in the industry.

"Decent Local Accounting Firm with Some Significant Flaws"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

Outside of tax season, hours aren't bad.
    Most people who work there are very friendly.
    Pay is just as good as larger firms.

Cons

Very high turnover, most staff seem to be unhappy.
    Although there are flex hours, many managers and partners still have the "punch clock" mentality.
    Uncertain career growth opportunities.
    Partners expect you to market the firm, even as a staff - this is a significant portion of your bonus.
    Partners sometimes act like they are operating individual practices.

Advice to Management

Come together as one firm, and spend more time teaching younger staff.

"Decent Place To Work"

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

Nice benefits, good training opportunities, flexible work schedule outside of tax season, ability to move up in the organization, competitive salary, generous work space

Cons

Overtime is built into salary, past tax season more difficult than expected, worked longer hours during tax season than wanted to, expected to work 55-60 hours per week

Advice to Management

Communicate better with all levels of staff

"Small firm working towards large firm structure and mindset."

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

Young and energetic staff members. Majority of partners are approachable on a daily basis. Competitive pay in comparison to larger accounting firms.

Cons

Nickel and dime on all perks (e.i. meals during busy season). Preach flexible work arrangements but receive backlash when practiced by employees. Eight partners = working for eight different companies.

Advice to Management

Really focus on training younger staff. The eight partners need to be on same page as much as possible because a negative tone at the top is apparent and trickles down to the staff level.

"Good opportunity in theory, but not in reality. Management is disorganized."

I have been working at Kessler Orlean Silver & Co. full-time

Pros

- Flexible work hours outside of tax season
    - Opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects
    - Salaries for younger staff are decent

Cons

- Although management preaches work/life balance and "family environment", this is often not how it is at all
    - Poor alignment between partners of the firm, which leaves staff frustrated
    - Poor training; most partners/directors/managers don't want to take the time to train younger staff, yet they complain when staff don't appear to be improving or learning

Advice to Management

Get on the same page - come up with unified procedures and philosophies, and stick to them.