Ketchum Reviews | Glassdoor

Ketchum Reviews

Updated December 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Creative agency, great people, opportunity for growth, commitment to work/life flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• good work/life balance, interesting clints and challenging tasks (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can at times be difficult (in 35 reviews)

• Long hours with no overtime compsenation (in 26 reviews)

1. "Ketchum Los Angeles Review"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Management recognizes hard work. Room to advance. Solid leadership. Name recognition within the industry

Cons

IT department got consolidated and made everything more complicated. Support model went from 1 tech per 60 users to 1 tech per 200. users

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on people. Recognize hard work. Address log hours with flex time or other perks.

"A wonderful firm"

Pros

collegial atmosphere, strong senior leadership, lots of opportunities to grow, from international assignments, diverse range of clients, terrific mentoring, learning and coaching programs.

Cons

As part of Omnicom, there is a lot of focus on quarterly results, pressure to drive new business, time sheet obsession, little to non-existent incentive/bonus programs

Advice to Management

The executive management team at Ketchum is top-notch and one of the most stable in the business.

3. "Ketchum Culture"

Pros

Engaging, supportive and fun loving culture and environment with senior leadership that is extremely visible. Ketchum truly values their employees and offers a variety of resources to grow talent.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative to say about my experience thus far at Ketchum.

"You are part of "Accounts" not teams"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Looks great on your resume
    - Big clients
    - Very hierarchical: every year or two, your get promoted to the next level. Clear career path.

Cons

- No office or team culture.
    - No camaraderie and don't expect most people to help/support you. Everyone works for themselves.
    - Very hierarchical: very clear set of tasks, hard to be given more responsibilities.
    - Either very long hours or not enough work. They rarely strike a good balance. Depending on the period, I had way too much on my plate, or I was begging various account managers to give me something to work on.
    - Pressure to be "billable" (difficult to achieve 7.5 hours/day of billable time when you are not given enough work), and bill a lot of hours and at the same time, not be too expensive = extreme productivity pressure. It also prevents any kind of office/team culture because each time you spend 5 minutes chatting with a colleague or going to the restroom is 5 minutes less of you being billable.

Advice to Management

We work hard. Don't put so much pressure on your younger staff in terms of being billable. Allow people to socialize at work, otherwise, you face high burn out and high turn over rates. Allow rotations from departments to departments.

5. "Managing Account Supervisor"

Pros

Client work, growth opportunity and benefits

Cons

Salary and lack of office culture

"Not the best intern experience, though it looks good on a resume"

Pros

-you'll work on solid accounts (big brand names)
    -you'll be tied to a manager who helps you (and mine was great) so there's some mentorship which is nice
    -you can work 40 hours or you can work 60 hours per week - however much you want to put into it, as long as you get your work done.
    -you can choose what time you came in in the morning, so long as you worked a solid 8 hours each day
    -it looks good on a resume and gives you a lot to talk about in full time positions

Cons

-as an intern, a big con is that they DON'T offer full time positions at the end of the summer - you are not guaranteed one (no job stability)
    -bad pay ($12/hour)
    -ignored by the rest of the office after your first day (they tucked us interns in a back room and people didn't really try to integrate us into the office)
    -account executives/etc don't really fully explain things and that can hurt your performance even though its not your fault
    -can be thrown into projects at the last second or can be given projects that don't have enough going on --> often, I didn't have enough work and was super BORED
    -as is the case at most agencies with billable work, you have to log every single hour of your day. because of this, you can never slack off and have to be accountable for every second of your day and have to stick to rigid time budgets for projects.
    -the culture is just ok. the office itself wasn't very nice and compared to other companies the office amenities sucked.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employees lower on your totem pole. They are often overworked, ignored and mistreated. Although senior leadership was friendly and approachable, they are often too busy to hear the concerns of those who are so inferior to them in the agency hierarchy.

ALSO - have a more organized and structured internship program. I often felt lost and without guidance and had to too heavily rely on my mentor to help me find work.

"Account Management Intern"

Former Employee - Account Management Intern
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern

I worked at Ketchum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing, and there are some huge accounts. I was able to work on many different projects during my time as an intern and it exposed me to the many facets of public relations.

Cons

You can be working 50+ hours a week as an intern and it's a very stressful job. The one con is that Account Supervisors are so busy they don't always have time to teach you how they want something done and it can reflect poorly on you, even though you are an intern,

8. "GMN"

Current Employee - GMn
    Current Employee - GMn

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and culture

Cons

Could have more competitive salaries and benefits

9. "Review"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth, opportunities within the company that don't exist at small agencies. Great people.

Cons

Low salaries and office politics make it difficult to feel valued. Some people are kept at the same levels with no growth for years while others are quickly promoted. Hours are extremely tough.

"Growth Employer (Digital)"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you're a star employee, you will get recognized and rewarded for your efforts
    - Work is based on merit--hierarchy doesn't hinder creativity
    - VPs and above are surprisingly accessible and many are hands-on
    - Our two most senior leaders are trustworthy, transparent and approachable
    - Working on mid-size and large name brands with big budgets helps aid creativity and overall results
    - Lacks the feeling of "traditional PR"
    - Invested in growth and retention activities for junior employees
    - Very high retention and "boomerang" rates (departures were likely laid off or bad cultural fits)
    - Competitive pay

Cons

- Intense scrutiny over time sheets and overall billability.
    - Digital team is growing so fast, the entire department feels fragmented
    - Although it's getting better, Digital is still thought of as an "add on" by traditional PR teams

Advice to Management

You're doing a a great job in driving business results.