Ketchum Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ketchum CEO Rob Flaherty
Rob Flaherty

Pros
  • Creative agency, great people, opportunity for growth, commitment to work/life flexibility (in 16 reviews)

• good work/life balance, interesting clints and challenging tasks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • the work/life balance of an agency can be stressful at times (in 29 reviews)

• Late nights and long hours is the norm in PR (in 22 reviews)

1. "Review"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth, opportunities within the company that don't exist at small agencies. Great people.

Cons

Low salaries and office politics make it difficult to feel valued. Some people are kept at the same levels with no growth for years while others are quickly promoted. Hours are extremely tough.

"admin asst, receptionist, office details"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

enjoyed working with staff and always coming to the office motivated and inspiring ohers

Cons

after 18 wonderful years of employment, I didn't really appreciate the option I was given to leave the company. And those were being fired or leave via disability. Hired a employment lawyer and received severance and vacation pay.

Advice to Management

there is a reason key staffers are leaving and that's understandable. But under some of those conditions mentioned and to recruit current staffers and they too leave, immediately, says something

"Great company with a ton resources and good hardworking people"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, creative, hardworking, professional people in a fast paced environment with excellent clients. Excellent meritocracy.

Cons

Can be overly formal. Not a great place to build confidence. Takes several years and a good manager to get to do meaningful work. Pay your dues type of place.

Advice to Management

Stop taking yourself so seriously and loosen up a bit. Be more approachable and casual. While talented, some people need to get over themselves and stop trying to intimadate.

"Incredibly talented agency. Teams work hard & play hard."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge PR firm offering an integrated suite of services to clients and comprised of the most talented and brilliant professionals. Company as a whole practices great internal communications, backed by a supportive/present HR team and offers all types of training opportunities to keep employees engaged and growing with the latest trends in our industry and our clients' industries. Opportunities to pave your own career path and seek challenging work. Good pay compared to other agencies, pay increases outside promotion cycles, and bonuses as a result of award-winning work.

Cons

Work-life balance, as with most agencies, is difficult and heightened when staffing is strapped. Stressful environment juggling client deliverables and needs across accounts. Management training needs enforced and supervisors should be held more accountable to the growth and development of their direct reports.

Advice to Management

Focus more on motivating and developing junior staff to eliminate burn out and turnover. Need better structure in place for supervisor-to-direct report relationships. Offer mentorship program.

"Ketchum"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ketchum full-time

Pros

Ketchum DC is fun and the ppl are nice and friendly.

Cons

Employees are not given their do.

6. "Interesting experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum as an intern

Pros

Training: employees have many opportunities to grow.

Cons

The work hours can be long especially when you're sitting in a cubicle all day.

Advice to Management

Try to get out and talk to your employees. Of course there are things like email and IM but showing your face would be nice.

7. "Experience is what you make it"

Current Employee - Managing Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ketchum is a place that allows you to grow, but growth won't just be handed to you. Work hard and raise your hand to opportunities and don't be afraid to create an opportunity that doesn't yet exist.

Cons

Rise above office politics and learn to navigate around some department heads that are afraid to confront staff at any level head on.

8. "New to Ketchum but enjoying it so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture; something different every day; great team; never a dull moment; fast-paced; always something new; access to leadership at all levels of the agency; collaborative environment (everyone pulling together to complete projects on time); excellent process in place for reviews (both formal and informal); very creative - no idea is a bad idea; room for growth at all levels.

Cons

Long hours and no overtime; no reimbursement for using public transit (bus, metro); it's a big company so there is some level of bureacracy that you have to wade through.

"Great experience but they burn through people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High profile clients and engaging projects. Cutting edge digital and creative departments. Great place for junior PR professionals to gain valuable experience.

Cons

Morale is extremely low – management views employees as interchangeable 'resources' to be worked into the ground. Account teams agree to insane deadlines without consulting those who will be executing the work. Managers think nothing of calling at 10pm or over weekends with the crisis du jour.

Advice to Management

Manage your teams. I experienced weeks where my direct manager never even spoke to me. Absent or un-engaged managers can create a volatile workplace where employees are pitted against each other and back-stabbing gets you ahead.

10. "Challenging at times, like any big agency, but focused on client service (not office intrigue)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

In a town and industry that can be frustratingly crowded with self promoters, the team at Ketchum is remarkably collegial, professional and dedicated to client service. From top to bottom, I'm not sure I've worked with a more talented, hard-working group of people.

Cons

I don't think there's anything unique to Ketchum that isn't problematic in the industry as a whole. Clients are demanding, hours can be long, and the job itself is stressful (but comes with high rewards).

Advice to Management

I know the company took significant steps to avoid laying off staff during the downturn, and I hope they show an equal dedication to sharing the benefits of a stronger performance this year.