Kettering Health Network Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Fred Manchur

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not much room for advancement unless you know someone or you are Seventh Day Adventist (in 6 reviews)

• Often short staffed, expected to work over the legal 16 hours straight (in 5 reviews)

1. "Huc/Na"

Current Employee - HUC/NA in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - HUC/NA in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Kettering Health Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company, plenty of room to grow and achieve the best in life.

Cons

Being exposed to different illnesses, but with proper safety in place you should be fine.

Advice to Management

Make sure you always appreciate ALL employees from the nurses to the aides they will work harder just by being told they are doing great.

2. "Team Leader"

Current Employee - Nursing Team Leader
    Current Employee - Nursing Team Leader

I have been working at Kettering Health Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, PTO, and atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of communication and consistency

Advice to Management

Follow through in a constant manner

3. "Rn"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Kettering Health Network part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching hospital for all different types of students. allows you to be open about faith. Opportunities to change areas within the hospital. Remodeling looks nice

Cons

Money hungry and rather have nurses work short then pay incentives. Low paying for area and national standards for nurses. High turnovers.

Advice to Management

Train them well enough they can leave, treat them well enough they won’t want to.

4. "HR dept and nursing mgmt does not support employees."

Former Employee - Floor RN in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Floor RN in Dayton, OH

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hospital itself is fine and the job itself was decently staffed on the nursing floor and house supervisors doctors and NP/PAs are generally great. It was less stressful than premier health nursing jobs.

Cons

The nursing mgmt and HR department do not honor the disciplinary step system and does not support employees. The overall culture on the nursing floors does not support or parallel the Religious (kind caring good) environment and culture portrayed by the orientation/business process. Very clicky. I thought it was my dream job and I was wrong. I was there 6 months and loved it so much. I was doing very well and was solely responsible for initial life savings decisions on several patients during my time there. I had no problems not even a single tardy, nothing.
    A couple women decided they didn’t like me (I thought everyone liked me enough as I am very helpful, friendly and kind), and they fabricated something to the mgmt. This was confirmed later by 2 employees including a supervisor in a private message to me. The next week NM pulled me into her office asking me strange questions which I answered, to later find that she used those questions against me as she presented information she obtained from my charting and locators. I was as honest as I could be and explained everything in my reasoning and defense (for example, a Med scanner wasn’t working in a certain room and she asked why I manually entered a routine medication prior to my locator showing I entered the room. I explained that I HAD entered the room prior and the locator must have not picked up at that time, as they often do, and that the scanner is broken in this room, and that I have had the patient all week and know them very well and that if there were to be an error or dropped the med it is easy to make the correction in the MAR for accuracy and pt safety of the record. She was not satisfied with anything I said. This is one example of literally at least 10 similar things that are average and common issues in nursing. Also, NO patients were harmed at all or were ever in a possibility of being harmed. She simply did not accept my answers). She told me she “HAD to report it to HR” which is incorrect, as it is up to mgmt to handle such affairs and discipline staff within policy. I was suspended from work 9 days without a phone call from mgmt or HR. I was NEVER contacted by HR, I was never able to explain my side of the story or accusations against me. I was wrongfully terminated and am unable to work in any KHN facility which rules out half the jobs in my city (and I am actually a great nurse who actually wants to be at bedside). I spoke with 2 lawyers who both said this was indeed wrongful termination and defamation of character. They said because OHIO is an at will employment state, that is why there is nothing I can really do unless they prevented me from getting another job elsewhere.
    I also had 3 instances of staff members who openly claimed to be “pagans”/“witches” (no I am not joking), do and say weird things to me without reason or provocation, such as “beware when a witch points at you” after they were pointing at me, and I went to see what they needed. Just weird!! I also had to assist patients that were being neglected by other nurses (alarms and lights going off too long) and yet I did not try to ruin anyone’s livelihood or reputation. I do not recommend anyone to work here at all if any of the other floors are like that one (which close sources say at least 3 others are!)

Advice to Management

Hire experienced nurse managers, not those with less than 3 years experience.
    Encourage them to follow disciplinary steps and policy guidelines to avoid the hospital/company loosing thousands of dollars for hiring people just to abusively terminate them shortly after hire with no defense.
    Take extra classes or seminars on conflict management to assist handling and properly investigating “complaints” about staff members and prevent unlawful intimidation/sabotage of the position and reputation of valuable, experienced employees that bring quality to the workplace...

5. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Kettering Health Network full-time

Pros

Christian environment. Great people to work with

Cons

Health insurance too high. Very strict polices

6. "Watch your back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Kettering Health Network full-time

Pros

Benefits are nice. Food is good in hospital.

Cons

No room for advancement. Back stabbing. Good old boys club is in full force! Work hard and get written up for not doing everyone else’s job.

Advice to Management

Stop showering your favorites with unwarranted kudos and being their puppets. Do for one, do for all. Stop inept scheduling.

7. "Administration"

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work and an enjoyable environment. Dedicated to their patients and well-being.

Cons

None that I can think of.

8. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The network is great to work for

Cons

Not able to move up in the ASB

Advice to Management

Promote the right employees

9. "Director"

Current Employee - Director of Ooperation in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Director of Ooperation in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at Kettering Health Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong relationship with employees and physicians
    Leadership Is faith based and growth focused
    Faith Based Organization

Cons

Minimal Advancement Opportunities
    Job satisfaction
    Limited decision making authority

10. "Nutrition Ambassador"

Former Employee - Nutrition Associate in Kettering, OH
    Former Employee - Nutrition Associate in Kettering, OH

I worked at Kettering Health Network part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work independently, friendly and helpful staff

Cons

Very paper-oriented and weird hours