Key Energy Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Key Energy Services President and CEO Robert Drummond
Robert Drummond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management shift in personnel is always unsettling with employees (in 9 reviews)

• In the end, I did get laid off, but that was due to the oil and gas market (in 4 reviews)

1. "Company review"

I have been working at Key Energy Services full-time

Pros

Pay fairly well. Offers full benefits

Cons

Lack of experienced upper management.

2. "Its good training groundsd"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Hobbs, NM
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Hobbs, NM

I have been working at Key Energy Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

experience, nothing, nothing , nothing

Cons

always being on call, being taken advantage of, Noone knows what the industry is about.

Advice to Management

take care of your employees

3. "Place is a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Key Energy Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid every other week. SOME people are friendly and helpful. Parking garage is attached to building so you don't have to walk outside. Good benefits.

Cons

The place is a joke, or at least the safety department is. I quit my job to come work here. Key was paying me 50% LESS than what I was making before but I felt Key was giving me a better opportunity in the long run. I was wrong.

My resume reflected what I was capable of doing and in the interview, I made it very clear what I did not have experience with. This seemed to go over well and I was told I'd be taught how to do everything.

From the the day I started, it has been one giant joke of a job. It was incredibly slow and most days I had nothing to do. I've seen some reviews on here saying a lot of people just try to look busy when they aren't doing anything which is true. On top of that, the person in charge of training me and showing me what do was incompetent at the least and was also a two faced alcoholic (literally the day I started she decided to tell me the "gossip" on everyone but claimed she "minded up her own business). She claimed that when she started working at Key that no one helped her with her job and she had to learn it all herself so she believed I should be doing the same. Anytime I asked for help, it usually got thrown back at me like I was supposed to know everything already. The times I did ask for help, I was told "it's not my job, it's yours". I did my job and I did what I was supposed to do. Most jobs will give you some sort of feedback when you first start to let you know where you stand with the position and what you need to improve on. I never got this. I thought things were going well. I ended up getting fired today due to "constant poor feedback" and "I didn't answer my phone twice". Honestly it's a pathetic excuse.

The safety department in Houston now only has 3 people in it because they can't keep people around.

The company hasn't made a profit in who knows how long. They're incredibly cheap and everything is always "what is the cheapest way we can fix this" or "this is too expensive to fix so we aren't going to fix it". What a great mindset. On top of that, they have all these positions that need to be filled but are too cheap to hire someone else/can no longer get approval to hire someone else so other people end up having to take on multiple jobs.

HR is also lacking considering they were constantly wanting to hire people who had failed pre-employment drug tests/been previously terminated for failed drug tests.

"Poorly Ran Company On All Levels......"

Former Employee - Roustabout Foreman in Sidney, MT
    Former Employee - Roustabout Foreman in Sidney, MT

I worked at Key Energy Services (More than a year)

Pros

They are currently in the process of preventing a full blown bankruptcy by allowing the largest bond holder of their debt ($700 million roughly, of $950 million total) a large majority ownership in the company. This may prevent a full blown bankruptcy, short term, whereby the debt holders could have forced the company into liquidation or forced sale of any remaining assets (workover rigs, buildings, properties, etc.) to cover those debts. What does this mean to the average hourly employee? It means you may show up one day to work and all the doors are locked....no prior warning or notice!

Cons

Many economists believe we are headed into a deeper recession in 2017 which will put additional stresses on the energy companies already hurting or carrying a high level of debt. There is a high probability that Key Energy goes bankrupt in the near future as oilfield demand for their services becomes even more competitive and others in the same business that are healthier financially cut costs even further as the recession deepens. Key has too much 'true debt' and besides their largest debt holder turned majority owner, it has a poor track record of increasing debt in a downturn market.

Going forward, besides their majority shareholder, it will have extremely limited access to any additional funds from which to operate their day to day business from. And since the majority shareholder has already sunk $700 million into the company, it is doubtful they will be free with any remaining cash requests for ongoing day to day operational expenses. Expect an even greater cost cutting initiative to begin soon going forward. This means all non bills will be challenged and little to no pay raises for the foreseeable future (1 year minimum).

Advice to Management

Quit following the corporate offices wishes in terminating 'high cost' employees (higher hourly salaries, housing allowance) that are in fact your more qualified/safety minded/competent employees in order to hire in lower cost (lower hourly salaries, zero housing allowance), less qualified ones with a greater probability of higher long term costs (accidents/recordables, loss of customers, etc.) and over a policy not actively adhered to in certain areas of your business.

5. "Good company, bad (former) management"

Former Employee - Senior Environmental Director in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Environmental Director in Midland, TX

I worked at Key Energy Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At one time, Key was a great company. Unfortunately, past management and BoD pretty much ran this company into the ground. The current crises has less to do with the downturn than it does with a 10 year process of poor acquisitions and horrible business decisions. New management has a lot of challenges.

Cons

Company filed Chapter 11. What else do you really need to know? CEO listed below is incorrect. Alario has been gone for almost a year...best decision the BoD made the past 10 years.

Advice to Management

I wish the new management good luck.

6. "Dispatcher"

Former Employee - DISPATCHER/ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST in Giddings, TX
    Former Employee - DISPATCHER/ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST in Giddings, TX

I worked at Key Energy Services (More than a year)

Pros

This used to be a good place to work until the management ran it into the ground

Cons

They have been laying employees off for the last year...I would not recommend working there.

Advice to Management

The Management is Terrible!!!

7. "Expeditor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Key Energy Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small to medium sized Company

Cons

Upper management needs to be more responsive to lower level management

8. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - RIG in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - RIG in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Key Energy Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. Good pay and decent hours for this type of job

Cons

Management needs to listen to employees and deal with the everyday problems with vendors and equipment

Advice to Management

Get the right people in place to have a better handle on your business. As managers you have the responsibility of taking care of the company but also all your employees

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Key Energy Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to learn in multiple departments to complete daily tasks.

Cons

Company has no direction and excessive cronyism.

Advice to Management

Stop placing fishing buddies and "yes" men with no creativity in leadership positions.

10. "Executive Assistant / Office Manager"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant/Office Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant/Office Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Key Energy Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Location perfect. Employees very nice.

Cons

Very slow in processing work. Always told it was the Key way of doing things.