KeyPoint Government Solutions Special Investigator Reviews | Glassdoor

Special Investigator

1.8
Eric A. Hess

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Investigative experience, work from home, & professionalism (in 109 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and work from home (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't pay well enough for the amount of work conducted (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management is more concerned with numbers and more impersonal (in 20 reviews)

"Not an ideal career"

Current Employee - Special Investigator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Special Investigator in Washington, DC

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

managing your own schedule, meeting new people, mileage reimbursement

Cons

unrealistic work load, pushy management

Advice to Management

treat your employees better and pay more.

"Investigator 1"

Current Employee - Special Investigator I in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Special Investigator I in Washington, DC

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can not find any pros.

Cons

Even if you are desperate for a job, look for other opportunities. After 5 months with KeyPoint I was ready to take any job, as long as I leave KeyPoint. Luckily I received a good offer and resigned on the spot. Their time frames for work completion are unrealistic, management is rude thinking that they own the staff and can speak as they wish, equipment is outdated, training is okay, but lacking practical aspect

Advice to Management

You are going the same road as USIS, and since most of you are from there, soon you will look for a new home. It is because of companies like KeyPoint, which promotes quantity over quality we have so many unfit people in federal employment and the military. Also, stop saying employment at will, because you ask people to pay you for training if of course they are foolish enough to cut you a check if they leave under a year. Wake up, slavery was abolished over a hundred years ago.

"I wish the leadership was better."

Former Employee - Special Investigator in Loveland, CO

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible. Good support for field investigators.

Cons

Poor management, overloaded with work, inconsistent guidance.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and LISTEN to field staff.

"Yes it is all bad!"

Former Contractor - Special Investigator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Special Investigator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Finishing out my year and not having to pay those blood suckers back!

Cons

It is all true. If you read these reviews you will know the truth. Do not trust one word they say and if you do good luck. They do not care about you or national security. They are a private company out to make money; the quicker you figure that out the better of you will be.

Advice to Management

Please go back under the USIS rock you came out of.

"Special Investigator"

Current Contractor - Special Investigator in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Special Investigator in Washington, DC

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is being able to work from home and having freedom to work or not.

Cons

Too many too list. As an independent Contractor, I only get paid per piece of investigation that is completed. Basically you make next to nothing an hour since they pay so little and there is so much unpaid admin work and training courses that are unpaid. My "Supervisor" is really great overall but there is too much pressure on them so they are always pressuring for more work to be done. Even when I am going to go on vacation for three weeks I will turn on my computer and see more casework that can not be completed because I won't be there to complete it. It is ridiculous how many times I have to ask to have work removed because I can't do it. Also, they only give you 14 days to get it done and that includes holidays and weekends. Good luck getting a hold of people and having them call you back because 90% of them never get back to you and you spend all day trying to track people down and doing there job for them. It is really frustrating. Don't bother asking for more time if you are sick, your kid is sick, or your kid didn't have school for all the school holidays, teacher work days, and weather related closures. You learn to just lie to ask for time since you can't tell the truth because it is not accepted. Then I get a very aggressive email about how I am not being a "team" player because I am asking to have work removed (that I can not do) and the work really needs to get done, basically begging me to do it. It never ends and gets old after a while. I am leaving when my year is up in a few weeks to a different company that pays twice as much and miles so it will actually be worth it. Also that is the point of why I am in Independent Contractor not a full-time or part-time employee because I want to set my own schedule and decide when to work and not want to work. My supervisor really is great in every other way but the pressure is too much on everyone and when you add all my driving to do everything that is required you basically make next to nothing. I like meeting new people but that is about it. The turnover rate is so high. I keep in touch with three other people from my training class and only one is left with Keypoint. The other two have moved on and I am moving on in a few weeks.

Advice to Management

Hire new people but that won't matter since the turnover rate is through the roof and no one will stay. I used to work full-time as an Investerigator with OPM when it was still under the Department of Defense (Defense Security Service) and it was so much better because they cared about investigations but Keypoint doesn't care. They only want the contract dollars and don't care about anything else. So no advice will matter at this point. I think they will eventually lose the contract like USIS. New companies keep popping up all the time but I think the only solution is to make it all federal so the standards of caring and integrity will be upheld.

"Investigations"

Former Employee - Special Investigator in Loveland, CO

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can work alone and from home

Cons

Metric system, too much pressure to close cases.

Advice to Management

Adopt a new management style regarding national security.

"The investigator is given more than possible to complete in the allotted time frame."

Current Employee - Special Investigator in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Special Investigator in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

The ability to schedule you own life. Can work around things that go on. Work from home can be great if you are disciplined to stay focused on work.

Cons

The company wants a normal start and end time for the day so it's not that flexible. Also starts loading on the cases as if you were a seasoned investigator when you first start. Micromanaged from the the top down down.

"disillusioned and disgusted"

Former Employee - Special Investigator in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Special Investigator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work from home, make own schedule
    do important work
    travel (if you enjoy that)

Cons

Company has turned into a total travesty. Management is horrible. The turnover among field investigators has been a veritable bloodbath. The reasons for this are manifold. It would take book. Sad part is that the taxpayer is footing the bill. Congress has been asleep, despite huge warning signs, and profits seem to be the only concern. But not even that will be possible much longer. Keypoint is a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Resign and look at yourselves hard in the mirror for a long while. Then find other work that does not harm the national security, not to mention the economic well-being of hundreds of good, honest people who just want to be treated fairly and with respect.

"Contract Special Investigator"

Current Contractor - Special Investigator () in Fort Drum, NY
    Current Contractor - Special Investigator () in Fort Drum, NY

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, ability to take time off, and type from home. You get paid for what you accomplish vs. Hours on the clock. It's nice to not watch a clock; it's a different mind set

Cons

Constant changing requirements, high work tempo (as a regular employee) Contractors can take work or leave it. Not reimbursed for Mileage. You're paid $200 per subject interview, $50 per source, $25 for a record. If you have to travel long distances, pay isn't worth the travel.

Advice to Management

Issue ridden cases should be paid at a higher amount. It would encourage investigators to "hear" additional issues and would be more fair. Many subject interviews are worth far more than $200 to brief, interview and type.

"Once was a great company"

Current Employee - Special Investigator in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Special Investigator in Loveland, CO

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, was helping with national security at one time, received a salary, made some friends but unfortunately they have left this company behind.

Cons

Micro management: manager who wants to know every day or every other day what cases you will close out that day. No cost of living increase..ever, benefits kept getting cut in order to save the company more money and which makes KGS look more profitable. To many management positions were filled from former USIS management who drove that company in the dirt. If you are not in the "click" of being a yes person your are an outsider and treated as such. You are only a number and thus can be replaced. There is no personal involvement between most managers and investigators, you are only a number. Contractors can pick and choose what cases they want to work while full timers get everything no matter what. No place to move up so people are moving out. There is no more national security, it is close cases as fast you can the company needs to make is revenue goal for the month. Training program has been cut to get new hires to the field faster. The training of new hires is lacking which is causing more failures in the field and then people get fired.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring directors to direct the directors director and you would be more profitable and find Someone else to run the company, someone who cares about national security and the people who work here not just how we make him look.