Kiewit Corporation Engineer I Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2019

3.4
Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock
  1. "This is a great company to work for, we build exciting stuff all the time"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

fun, great team, lots of training, free stuff, move to new places, build the biggest, coolest stuff using the biggest coolest equipment

Cons

All depending on position and project but it can be long hours and it can be stressful but you will learn greatly and be given lots of responsibility.

Kiewit Corporation2014-10-28
  2. "Every project I've been assigned to has been a failing project"

Current Employee - Engineer I (Entry Level) in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay for a first job after graduating college Younger generations (20-40 y/o) are high-energy people and driven

Cons

Very political with raises, promotions, etc. "Promotions" do not come with a pay raise - raises are completely at the discretion of the higher-ups, which is where the politics come in Company "Lifers" have no regard for safety or quality and directly cause the company to loose time and money.

Advice to Management

Company "Lifers" have no regard for safety or quality and directly cause the company to loose time and money. Kiewit will not replace or weed out these individuals, instead bouncing them around between jobs until they cause enough damage to get put in a position where their responsibilities are essentially none.

Kiewit Corporation2019-02-23

"Engineer 1"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Hanover, MD

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were great and most of the projects were fun to work on.

Cons

Management will throw you under the bus for problems they create. No mentor-ship available and communication was severely lacking. They make you work long hours ( I did back to back day and night shift for 107 hours in a week and wasn't even thanked).

Advice to Management

Please communicate with your employees. Choosing to ignore an employees questions about operations can lead to issues on a project.

Kiewit Corporation2018-08-10
  4. "Typical Construction Like work"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office/estimating work is not too bad lots of PTO is nice

Cons

expect you to work 50 hours a week as normal more hours is common sometimes feel like people don't care about your personal life

Kiewit Corporation2018-07-18

"Go somewhere that cares about you..."

Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits for families (but get ready to never see your family or have to pick up and move with 10 day's notice)... worked with a lot of great people although most of them left for better jobs or because they realized there's more to life than working all the time.

Cons

Be prepared to work 70 hours and get paid for 40. Poor relocation help in the Puget Sound area (ie if you lived/worked up north and they tell you to work south of Seattle, get ready to drive 2 hours each way or pay to move yourself). Only upper management gets bonuses. Raises don't keep up with job market inflation = fresh out of college, no experience engineers get paid more than engineer's who've been here 2-3 years. Way too much politics and favorites in upper management... you better hope to be on one of their "golden child" projects or be prepared to never advance in your career. Plus why would they advance you, engineers are expendable. If you want fair pay for your level and you quit, you are simply "not the right person for the company".

Advice to Management

What was this about PEOPLE being your greatest asset? Or what about how you preach that health, family and safety should be of ultimate importance? Please consider paid OT or having more personnel to allow us to work normal hours. We want lives outside of our "Kiewit Family". And lastly, as somebody who really wanted to shine at Kiewit, who felt pride being a part of this prominent company... all I wanted was to be paid fairly or for salary transparency. When the new hires are paid more and know nothing and HR condescendingly tells you to get over it ... I realized that you're right: I'm not the right person for this company. I respect myself too much.

Kiewit Corporation2018-02-22

"Get in then out!"

Engineer I

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for more than a year

Pros

Good learning experience if your a new college graduate. Plenty of opportunity to learn the construction business.

Cons

Management is mediocre at best. They expect you to give your soul and treat people like expendable assets. Long hours and no compensation. There is no need to stay more than two years, your a fool if you do. Once you have experience you will find work opportunities with higher pay and less hours.

Advice to Management

Management is mediocre at best. Stop treating employees like expendable assets. Train up employees and compensate, maybe you won't loose so many.

Kiewit Corporation2016-08-28

"Doesn't live up to their promises"

Engineer I in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Benefits are great. If you can put a few years in you have some of the most respected experience. Lots of freebies. Aside from my experience (in Cons), I felt other engineers were fine with the long days. I just saw people with no life, with weight problems, health problems, etc, happy for their career and understanding that their investment will pay off in the long run. Some of the other engineers were awesome guys. Their training opportunities are great vacations and allow you to meet other interesting people.

Cons

They will overwork you. They have no reason why except for "that's just how it is done". The corporate culture is a cult. Lots of wasted time in meetings learning to keep your site clean or wear safety gear. They dumb everything down for the dumbest employee so if you are smart you may feel you're wasting your time. Their training is fundamentally broken and I was very unhappy with how little knowledge was imparted to us.

Advice to Management

It's not like management will listen to you. It's a cult. They think corporate speeches fix cracked concrete. I learned too late to shut up and drink the kool-aid.

Kiewit Corporation2015-09-10

"It's a good company to work with."

Engineer I in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

The harder you work the better the rewards. Good systems in place for career development.

Cons

Work-life balance is thought to maintain. May be dumped with too much work sometime.

Advice to Management

Delegate tasks ahead of time.

Kiewit Corporation2015-08-06

"Engineer at Kiewit"

Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Available training, challenging work, competitive pay, stock option, many locations to move to, great 401k plan.

Cons

No work-life balance, normally work 55 - 80 hours a week. Management is very heavy on favoritism. Very little holidays.

Advice to Management

If you want all employees to feel engaged and "own" the company, give non-stock holder bonuses. Different district received different COLA is not a good standard.

Kiewit Corporation2015-01-30

"Could be better, but could also be a lot worse."

Current Employee - Engineer I in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Despite other reviews I've read reporting otherwise, I feel like there is an acceptable level of work / life balance (This may vary depending on project and location), but there are definitely some people that like to be seen at work >12hrs per day. - A good level of respect from peers. - There are a lot of very knowledgeable construction veterans willing to share what they know.

Cons

- Pay is not as high as it should be for my level of education and experience. - Too many young engineers don't seem to have as much experience or skills as I would have expected.

Advice to Management

Put people in positions that are in line with their education and experience. Just because someone is new to the Kiewit family, it doesn't mean they need to be kicked down a few notches.

Kiewit Corporation2012-11-08