Kiewit Corporation Field Engineer Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Bruce E. Grewcock
  1. "Great experience"

Former Intern - Field Engineer Intern

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for less than a year

Pros

great diversified experience, a lot of responsibility

Cons

work 45-60 hours per week

Kiewit Corporation2019-09-30
  2. "Amazing Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Field Engineer Intern in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for less than a year

Pros

Kiewit has an amazing internship program. They make it very easy to move to a new location with great relocation benefits. They are not afraid to give interns real responsibilities and integrate them into the team. Also a great segway into a full time career!

Cons

Work hours can be long, but that is to be expected in the construction industry.

Advice to Management

N/A

Kiewit Corporation2019-04-22
  3. "Challenging Work"

Current Intern - Field Engineer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation for less than a year

Pros

The work is very challenging and will not leave you bored. The company has excellent travel compensation because you will be traveling a lot to get to the work. You're always going to be safe on the job. Kiewit has extremely high standards and policies around safety. They have excellent career progression. They like to hire younger guys, train you up and mentor you, and keep you within the company because of how well their development programs work. This also makes you extremely valuable to other contractors in case you leave Kiewit.

Cons

You are fully expected to go where the work is as any sort of project manager or superintendent. The people I met on my internship said to expect a move at least every 2-3 years at a minimum. Some times there may be projects that last less time. As an intern, my workday was 8AM-3:30PM with 30 minutes for lunch. By the end of my internship, I was working from 6AM-6PM and didn't have time for lunch. There was always at least 1 project manager who was still working after I left, and I was told that 60-80 hours work weeks weren't unheard of.

Advice to Management

Hire more personnel. The company is extremely data-driven and fast-paced, but under the staffing at my project, the managers are young and burnt out working up to 80 hour weeks without any sign of relief.

Kiewit Corporation2018-08-01
  4. "Field Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Field Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for more than a year

Pros

People are great Great learning environment

Cons

Disorganized on boarding Poor communication between operations and HR

Advice to Management

Give information needed in a more timely manner.

Kiewit Corporation2017-08-24

"Might as well get a divorce"

Current Intern - Field Engineer Intern

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation for less than a year

Pros

You get to see the right way things are done. If you are salary, you get paid time off (PTO.) There is lots and lots of training. Too much. Its overkill.

Cons

Where do I begin? You move all the time with a week notice. There are people who haven't seen their families in years. Some people live in trailers and just relocate across the United States with the company. You will never have a real home. Craft workers are laid off at the end of projects. When you do something right, nobody cares. When you do something wrong, everyone cares. Constant meetings. Low pay. They don't pay you for travel time. High turnover rate. HR will tell you anything you want to hear just to hire you. They tell you one thing, but do another. Get everything in writing because HR will pretend they don't know what you are talking about. Kiwi thinks a meeting solves everything. Managers hold meetings and speak just to hear themselves talk. When he is done speaking, the next manager pipes up and says the same thing, just in different words. Not a challenging internship. My mentor never wanted an intern and often simply ignored me or refused to answer my questions. I was treated like an intern and given no responsibility.

Advice to Management

Don't be so full of yourselves. Make the employees feel like you know they exist. When someone says good morning to you, have the common courtesy to respond. Follow the rules you set for us...you are not exempt.

Kiewit Corporation2015-11-08
  6. "Field Engineer Intern"

Field Engineer Intern in Tioga, ND

I worked at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Excellent Pay. Ability to travel.

Cons

Bad work-life balance. Lived in a man-camp and pretty much just worked all summer.

Kiewit Corporation2015-03-16
  7. "Excellent Training, Many Opportunities, Excellent People, NO Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Field Engineer Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training, fast promotions if you're willing to work hard, sociable and young co-workers, big emphasis on safety and doing things right the first time, efficient meetings and operations, no BS.

Cons

no work life balance, 5am-6pm or later 6 days a week, could get a move letter with little time in advance, could get pigeonholed into a small field

Advice to Management

should raise pay for engineers who slave away

Kiewit Corporation2014-09-20
  8. "Field Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Field Engineer Intern in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for less than a year

Pros

Very good experience, you are given a lot of responsibility right off the bat. As a field engineer, you do not need much technical knowledge to do your job. Fast paced environment, employees really friendly. Lots of overtime. Average work day was 6:30am-5:00pm or 5:30pm. Lots of fun team building.

Cons

No experience required really, did not apply any of the engineering I was taught in school.

Kiewit Corporation2012-12-17
  9. "A lot of really awesome experience in a short time."

Former Intern - Field Engineer Intern in Peachtree City, GA

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for less than a year

Pros

Quickly and consistently given as much experience and responsibility as you are willing to assume. They never lay anybody off. Employee Stock Ownership possibilities after about 5 years.

Cons

They will ask you to move often on very short notice. That is to be expected, as it is the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

N/A

Kiewit Corporation2012-12-05