Kiewit Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist (in 120 reviews)

• Not a lot of opportunity for advancement; long hours; working in trailers in inclement weather; must have PPE even if you work in the office (in 120 reviews)

"welder"

Former Employee - Structural Welder in Ingleside, TX
    Former Employee - Structural Welder in Ingleside, TX

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, when Harvey hit we still got paid.

Cons

none, if you follow the rules all is good

2. "Boilermaker Helper"

Pros

Amazing safety culture! This company backs each employee with training and a true professional attitude towards safety

Cons

Punitive punishment for rules based on minutiae

3. "Engineer 1"

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Kiewit has good benefits, good 401k match (although it takes 5 years to vest), good Health insurance and good disability insurance.

Cons

The hours are ridiculous. 60+ hours a week, sometimes working weekends. the salary would be awesome if you were only working 40 hours a week.

Advice to Management

The reason you have to pay so much in training is because everyone quits because you work them to death. Hire more engineers, treat them better, save money on training and keep well trained employees for longer.

4. "If you’re okay with brow nosing and backstabbing, this is the place for you."

Current Employee - Business Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Business Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits & 401K and since I have to get to a 20 word minimum I’ll go with the location is close to some great places to eat.

Cons

Pretty much no annual increase. You’ll get 3% every year even years the company is super successful. Bonuses don’t exist unless you’re teacher’s pet. HR is terrible, unresponsive and have no earthly idea how to do their jobs nor have any clue how the work is built. They pass everything off onto anyone and everyone. There is never any team building or building events. No casual Friday.

Advice to Management

Start offering higher increases to the employees who come to work and work hard. Instead of people who just suck up to you and can’t do their jobs. It’s tiring watching the lazy people do nothing and get promoted and bumped up. While the rest of us who usually cover for these people, get passed by because we don’t come tell you good morning every day.

5. "All Depends on Luck"

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Great, interesting projects with the potential to take on a lot of responsibility. If you get in with management they can help guide your career.

Cons

Easy to get lost in the wilderness or forgotten about, people get laid off after a project because HR entirely forgets about them. Extremely low morale and retention.

Advice to Management

Have a serious revamp of relocation policies, lots of great staff get missed or forgotten because HR ignores non-management.

6. "Go somewhere that cares about you..."

Current Employee - Engineer I
    Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits for families (but get ready to never see your family or have to pick up and move with 10 day's notice)... worked with a lot of great people although most of them left for better jobs or because they realized there's more to life than working all the time.

Cons

Be prepared to work 70 hours and get paid for 40. Poor relocation help in the Puget Sound area (ie if you lived/worked up north and they tell you to work south of Seattle, get ready to drive 2 hours each way or pay to move yourself). Only upper management gets bonuses. Raises don't keep up with job market inflation = fresh out of college, no experience engineers get paid more than engineer's who've been here 2-3 years. Way too much politics and favorites in upper management... you better hope to be on one of their "golden child" projects or be prepared to never advance in your career. Plus why would they advance you, engineers are expendable. If you want fair pay for your level and you quit, you are simply "not the right person for the company".

Advice to Management

What was this about PEOPLE being your greatest asset? Or what about how you preach that health, family and safety should be of ultimate importance? Please consider paid OT or having more personnel to allow us to work normal hours. We want lives outside of our "Kiewit Family". And lastly, as somebody who really wanted to shine at Kiewit, who felt pride being a part of this prominent company... all I wanted was to be paid fairly or for salary transparency. When the new hires are paid more and know nothing and HR condescendingly tells you to get over it ... I realized that you're right: I'm not the right person for this company. I respect myself too much.

7. "Engineer II"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, room to grow into a bigger role, they pay to move you around from project to project

Cons

you have to go where the work is which is never where you want to go. its great for a single person but not ideal for a family

Advice to Management

pay attention to the young employees need too

8. "Sr Analyst Technology Group"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health, dental etc. benefits are decent. pay scale is adequate.

Cons

You have to like to work in a packed overcrowded on top of each other cube environment. Kiewit employs massive amounts of tech temp help that are foreigners so you have to put up with transient staffing. Rather than building a technology culture where talent is rewarded you are pretty much at the mercy of, well we can hire more temps. Mostly Indian tech employees. Parking is a mile away, long walks in dimly lit walkways and parking lots. They just got rid of pay to wear jeans on Friday... To compete with TD, Huddle etc.... Crazy that anyone in a technology group has to wear dress clothes but now jean day is free on Fridays.

9. "Engineer"

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

has a hands on training facility

Cons

Work life balance does not exist
    Poor project management

10. "Pipefitter helper"

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Good hard work good people good place to learn teach u allot

Cons

Not really good pay at all stuck me with people who only speak spanish

Advice to Management

Wish u pay more