Kiewit Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a huge Issue (in 114 reviews)

• Long hours and difficult to maintain work life balance (in 110 reviews)

1. "Journeyman Pipefitter"

Former Employee - Joyurneyman Pipefitter in Covington, TN
    Former Employee - Joyurneyman Pipefitter in Covington, TN

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good pay scale & beneifits

Cons

more so called safety men than hands safety people our really a goon squad

Advice to Management

0 chance

"The bait and switch"

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Cove Point, MD
    Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Cove Point, MD

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay , decent start times

Cons

Unfair treatment of workers , intimidating workers , no excused absences , do not recognize supervision hiarchy , rif locals before travelers, no longer provides tools for craft , doesn't honor original agreements , no food or drink for sale on site for craft ., supervision inexperienced , poor job conditions , safety policies not equally enforced , cronyism , chilled work enviroment, bullying of craft , poor material supplies , can not request in advance for personal time off even for doctor appointment. or any reason.

Advice to Management

You could easily go into the private prison system . take your 4 billion dollars and leave the dc metro area and don't come back . fooled us once shame on you , fool us twice , I don't think so !

"Awful Steer Clear"

Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401K, opportunity to travel, exciting projects, (usually) job security. Decent benefits, PTO, opportunity for stocks (if you kiss the right you know what)

Cons

No life outside work in Omaha market. Saturdays/Sundays required. Only reason to work here is to have that "Kiewit" experience on your resume. If you get hired on be aggressive in your starting pay negotiations. They're banking on getting you on for the cheap. Work there a maximum of 4/5 years and get out. Go to a company that will treat you better.

Advice to Management

Who cares, they don't give a hoot anyways. Let's just imagine the most unfavorable things you could say about a company, now go even lower...just beneath that. Scum management.

"IT Professional"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of supervision which mean you can come and go as you please. Encouragement to learn new technologies is a plus.

Cons

There are a lot of young and inexperienced managers who have never managed people before and have never worked for another company managing people people. Young females who do not know what they are doing as managers, and they don't do much of anything. They text on there phones during meeting and giggle. Very unprofessional work environment. If you are in the good ole boy click, or a flirty female who will be a SR. Manager. There are double standards on policies. Some people can work from home while others can't. Some people can get away bypassing production processes when others cant. They are just some examples of the numerous double standards at Kiewit.

Advice to Management

Get a clue of what is going on and do your job as a manager. Enforce policies and procedures.

"Beware and Do Your Research First..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super nice and friendly people that are very respectful that were appreciative of hard work. Brand new facility (where I was located). Compensation and benefits were really good. Work and life balance was great (very close to home).

Cons

Work environment (inside my department) within the Marketing department at The Woodlands, Texas location. Very poor management skills. Lack of communication and leadership qualities from management.

Advice to Management

Make favoritism a little less obvious.

"Doesn't live up to their promises"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Benefits are great. If you can put a few years in you have some of the most respected experience. Lots of freebies.

Aside from my experience (in Cons), I felt other engineers were fine with the long days. I just saw people with no life, with weight problems, health problems, etc, happy for their career and understanding that their investment will pay off in the long run. Some of the other engineers were awesome guys. Their training opportunities are great vacations and allow you to meet other interesting people.

Cons

They will overwork you. They have no reason why except for "that's just how it is done". The corporate culture is a cult. Lots of wasted time in meetings learning to keep your site clean or wear safety gear. They dumb everything down for the dumbest employee so if you are smart you may feel you're wasting your time. Their training is fundamentally broken and I was very unhappy with how little knowledge was imparted to us.

Advice to Management

It's not like management will listen to you. It's a cult. They think corporate speeches fix cracked concrete. I learned too late to shut up and drink the kool-aid.

"Superintendent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Good place to build your resume and take your skills to another company that not only appreciates your abilities, but compensates you for your efforts.

Cons

Work life balance is minimal or nonexistent.
    Upper management is bleeding the lifeblood out of a once great company. Peter Kiewit would be turning over in his grave if he could see what has happened to his company.
    Realize that you are a commodity, nothing more and you will understand how the company operates.
    Your salary seems reasonable on first blush, but after calculating the uncompensated hours you are required to work the pay is approximately 60% of the advertised rate.
    This is a dead end job for a dead end company.

Advice to Management

Cleaning house from the top down is the only hope for survival in this competitive industry.

9. "breaks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ingleside, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ingleside, TX

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for and good benefits.

Cons

Work 10 hours and only get a 30 minutes for lunch break and no other breaks before or after lunch.

Advice to Management

More breaks would be nice.

"This is only a stepping stone!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They spent a huge amount on lunches and entertaining guest.

Cons

Lack of leadership in management roles. Racism is openly displayed in the Company's history. The Lenexa office is run like a Mom and Pops operation. Ole Boy's last stand!

Advice to Management

Get out of the business and allow employees with experience to move up in the Company.

11. "They are lairs"

Current Employee - Steamfitter in Cove Point, MD
    Current Employee - Steamfitter in Cove Point, MD

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was getting night shift differential, working 6/10 crushing the game making a killing, work wasn't bad, (not hard not easy) sometimes you would have to fight to stay woke

Cons

Cove point was 1 1/2 to get to, everyone's all high and mighty on safety until the work starts, they let heavy equipment operators run the whole damn place

Advice to Management

Grow a pair