Kiewit Corporation "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kiewit Corporation Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Nov 18, 2019

3.6
Kiewit Corporation CEO Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard sometimes(in 150 reviews)

• "You might have to work long hours (more than 10 hours) including working from home(in 141 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great job"

Former Employee - Transportation in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Treats employees very well and good benefits.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people

Kiewit Corporation2019-08-20
  2. "Stay away, discrimination, favoritism"

Former Employee - Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice projects, nothing else is good.

Cons

It's all a sham. 50 to 60 hr weeks. Pay is lower than industry standards. Back stabbed, people want to get involved in your life away from work. Even though you do good work, if they do not like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. I compare it to high school, no one will tell you what's really going on. They will just lie and pretend to be your friend.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees, not what your favorite buddy tells you.

Kiewit Corporation2019-11-07

"Avoid at all costs. There are far better opportunities out there."

Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Emphasis on training. Young work force. Looks good on a resume.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent. Working 80 hrs/wk is completely normal and you will work plenty of weekends as well. Holidays are by no means guaranteed. I worked an 18 days on/3 days off schedule, and I only received holidays that happened to fall on my 3 days off. You will be sent to work on projects in the middle of nowhere, and you have no say in the matter. You will be expected to move across the country... on a moment's notice and you will receive very little help with the move. Don't expect to move up the ladder very quickly at all. Kiewit is very slow to promote from within. Turnover is extremely high within the company, and the chain of command is horribly convoluted. Lastly, the pay is poor for the number of hours you are working. You don't get paid overtime, and field engineers do not receive per diem. It is unheard of to not receive per diem pay when working the long hours Kiewit requires, and working in the remote locations that Kiewit sends you to. We were told many times that we would be receiving per diem pay and paid trips home every 3 weeks, only to have that promise taken away right before mobilizing to site. All in all, do not work here. There are plenty of far better opportunities out there. Just two months after leaving Kiewit I'm making more money to work half the hours per week in an infinitely better location.

Advice to Management

Treat your field engineers with respect and be honest with them. Its as simple as that. Its a very low bar to meet, and you are currently failing miserably at doing so.

Kiewit Corporation2019-08-16

"Worst place I've worked at"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Benefits with a few good people.

Cons

No team environment, HRBPs are viewed as gods and HR Specialist are suppose to cater to the HRBPs. The only way to move up is if you rub shoulders with the right people or if you stay in the same job for 10 years. No clear growth path at all or incentive to grow employees.

Kiewit Corporation2019-02-22
  5. "Engineer 1"

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Good benefits, 6% 401K, except if you accept to be part of the private stocks. good price for medical.

Cons

management and training needs improvement. Salaries could be a lot better

Kiewit Corporation2018-08-22

"Management is Heartless"

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, new hires are given alot of responsibility

Cons

Management only cares about the well being of the company, not the employee

Kiewit Corporation2018-08-06

"Field/ Office Engineer"

Former Employee - Field/Office Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

High starting salary and good benefits. Great people... just don’t know when to go home.

Cons

No work life balance. Hours are “7-5” in the office but you’re looked down upon if actually leave at 5. You accrue 20 days PT0, but when you work Saturdays it might as well be 0. Field hours are 6:30 to 6:00... constantly overloaded with work that is over your head. Understaffed projects. I get this part of the industry norm but why not break that mold

Advice to Management

Incorporate some sort of work life. balance.You burn your people out and that results in dumb mistakes. You preach safety so you can go home to your family... but you never see your family with the hours. Create work life balance and maybe people will stick around and not hate their lives.

Kiewit Corporation2018-07-26

"Mixed Feelings"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large, stable company with good benefits and decent pay. Huge opportunities present themselves if you work hard (and if you get in with the right people). The company holds fun celebratory events but those have cut back recently. Most employees are driven, goal-oriented people who are enjoyable to be around. On-call IT department is appreciated in the field when a quick solution is needed!

Cons

The only way I've seen to "make it" in this company is to get in with management, and others agree. If you don't brown-nose the higher ups, your career will become stale. Lots of middle management get through with little to no work. Work hours can be tough occasionally, but that is to be expected with this industry. Company has taken pieces of benefits away consistently in recent years: 401K match, gym reimbursement..., field pay increases, etc. Lots of hurts on projects even though they preach safety as being number one priority. They also stress that people are one of their greatest assets, but do little to ensure each employee is actually taken care of (their mentoring program vanished within a year or two of me starting working for them). Stress their exceptional benefits package as a means to justify lower-than-average pay, while the benefits are quite similar to other construction companies. Absolutely alarming rate of turnover.

Advice to Management

Make sure every employee is taken care of, not just those who choose to brown nose to management. Give equal opportunities to those employees that decide not to brown nose. Stop taking away pieces of our benefits. Do something about middle management pushing responsibilities to others but still taking credit for the work. Don't let things just fall through the cracks (Career Development Path plan, people... availability chart, etc.) that were important at one time, as some of us still refer to those. Finally, actually follow through on our company's values - they are more than just words on a poster!

Kiewit Corporation2018-05-09

"Good if you;re a white male"

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for more than 8 years

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, as long as you have a job

Cons

If you're not a white male, you find yourself earning less, moving more, and being transferred more often. White males are predominantly owners of the company. Go to the head office in Omaha and there are only white faces.

Kiewit Corporation2018-04-19

"Know What You're Getting Yourself Into"

Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Variety of Projects, Fast Paced, Good Benefits, Great Training, Responsibilities Come Fast So Long As Performance is Good.

Cons

Clear Lack of Diversity/Minorities with Only Lip Service Approach to Fix. Favoritism. Salary lacks. Constant Relocation, Which Can Get Old Quick. Poor Work/Life Balance

Kiewit Corporation2018-04-30