Kiewit Power Constructors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Dave Flickinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent Pay, very secure company, good benefits (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits, highly competitive salary, great training (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving every year; Work/Life balance was nil; its seemed as majority were out of the "good ol'boys" click (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours, frequent relocation, high demands on personal life (in 17 reviews)

1. "Excellent place for an engineer to work."

Pros

Company and managers care about employees.
    Develops engineers and exposes them to a wide variety of work.
    Opportunity to work in the field.

Cons

Kiewit's documentation requirements are tedious.
    Field work comes with very long hours.
    Like most large companies, you can get lost in the crowd.

2. "Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Lusby, MD
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Lusby, MD

I worked at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct access some some of the best managers in the industry. Interesting projects. You will learn a wide range of skills if you stick with the company. Great starting salary and benefits package

Cons

Long hours. 12 hour days while working 6 days a week are common. Work schedule may change day to day depending on project needs.

3. "Great company, great competition"

I have been working at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time

Pros

Great company, great organization, learning opportunities

Cons

Sometimes more politics than merit

4. "Nothing Spectacular / Nothing Horrible"

I have been working at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time

Pros

Decent Pay, very secure company, good benefits. Kiewit is a leader in the industry. Good opportunity if you are enthusiastic.

Cons

I've been here too long for anything to be new and exciting. Women have to be extra awesome to be taken seriously (but there is hope).

Advice to Management

Work harder to recognize unconscious bias.

"Sr. Project Quality Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Quality Manager in Memphis, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Quality Manager in Memphis, TX

I worked at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair pay, Most of the upper management is good, they'll come around to ask about the dept. you're working. I've only worked for 4 company's in 30 + yrs., and this by far this is the company to work for.

Cons

My direct boss is a very unfair person. In some departments, if your not in the "click" your employment won't be for log! I found this out the hard way! I was laid off after 10 yrs. of loyal service. Like a dummy - I didn't even see it coming. The way I was laid-off I felt like a criminal, even-though I was labeled "for re-hire" I they wouldn't ever hire me back. They have used my resume for a number of estimates to strengthen this particular dept. and not get a "hey thanks for the good work".

Advice to Management

You cater to the youngsters too much. Allow them to get thru at least 2 projects before they're promoted to Gen. Supt. or even Project Manager. Maybe this doesn't matter but it puts a bad taste in the mouths of the people that have worked 25-30yrs and will never get a chance to do these "Upper Management" jobs.

6. "Poor Family values for Emplyees"

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Jessup, PA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Jessup, PA

I worked at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, Poor Employee Consideration and treatment

Cons

Do not have any consideration for their employees privacy or time off. They want to know what you are doing on your time off. As a craft person on hourly rate with no company paid PTO they demand to know what your doing with your time off and want you to ask for permission for the time off, even if it is just a day.
    Stay FAR away from this company. Told them to lay me off or fire me after argument with my supervisor. They finally fired me. Thank you Lord.

7. "Office/Field Engineer"

I have been working at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time

Pros

Great working environment and benefits

Cons

None to comment at this time

"Disenchanted"

Former Employee - Lead Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Lead Field Engineer

I worked at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Diverse projects coordinating big name companies, vendors and manufactures while directly managing the construction crews.
    - Opportunity to travel, generally within the US or Canada.
    - Good starting pay.
    - Meet some amazing people.

Cons

- The projects they pick always have a problem with them, typically schedule, which means long hours and no materials. Everything is an emergency.
    - Job locations are usually in the middle of nowhere. Hard to find living arrangements (which they do not help with) and long drives to the airport.
    - You quickly realize you got the short end of the stick when you calculate the hours you work. There are no bonuses, raises are sad and the dangling carrot of stock is a joke.
    - The people are great cause you are all suffering together. All everyone does is drink and complain about work. If they don't complain about work then they are apart of the boys club who has actually received stock and sees the thousands of dollars of debt as an asset that they are willing to slave through 30 years to pay-off.
    - Lastly, equal opportunity??? Management was more curious about my relationship status than my career.

Advice to Management

There is nothing to say to management. Their business model is to hire young and those that don't burn-out are either the chosen few that get preferential treatment or are left to trudge along until they take the initiative to quit. The company reviews are all the same and they do nothing about it. It is "your" decision.

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits:
    * Medical, dental, vision plans are among the lowest in corporate America, and the quality of these plans is excellent.
    * Life insurance and other insurances are incredible. For young people, this might not be as important, but individuals with families do appreciate it.
    * PTO – It’s great, Entry level employees start with 2-weeks then it grows with time. Unused PTO rolls over to the following year which is great.
    * After a VERY HARD LONG LONELY hours, you COULD become a stockholder. Being a stockholder is basically the true American Dream (You would put a lot of blood, sweat, tears, health, divorce, etc in order to get that).

Pay:
    * For young employees, pay is slightly higher compared to other firms.
    * Yearly raises are usually based on performance which promotes great work ethics.

Reputation:
    * Kiewit’s greatest strength is it’s reputation. The majority of people come to work here for few years, just so they can have an established name on the resume.

Projects:
    * Diverse, challenging fast paced, even joint venture projects.
    * High profile projects.
    * Responsibilities are given to staffs quickly and management would give any responsibility to anyone depending who they know.
    * Work is excited especially for someone who’s a recent college grad and is willing to learn.
    * With high profile, complex, and different project personnel comes EXTREME STRESS LEVEL. I find this a pro, because it prompted me to be a calm and patient person who thinks carefully before he speaks or act.

Relocation:
    * Must be willing to be relocated whenever and wherever.
    * With relocation comes exposure to more projects thus gain more experience.
    * Will experience seeing different locations and knowing various people. Some will become lifelong friends. I met people that I respect tremendously and wish all the best.

Personnel:
    * Depending on the person’s personality, but you should be able to get along with people during work hours.

Culture:
    * Kiewit’s culture is a sink or swim culture.
    * This culture is definitely for ambitious people.
    * Sky is the limit within reason for motivated people if they’re given the right opportunity and were fortunate to work for the right manager.
    * Constantly changing work environment and it’s uncomfortable for most people, but it will allow people to adapt and change their perspective in life to either the better or the worse depends on the individual’s personality and morals.
    * You are given all the responsibility you can handle and then some so you are constantly being challenged.

Training:
    * Kiewit has a top tier training programs. I find Kiewit invests and dedicates a lot of time on training.
    * Culture School is a great training asset. e.g. Field Supervisory School and other technical training.
    * I wish I saw more technical training on how to do specific things. Visual and practical training would definitely setup individuals for success.
    * The learning curve is rather steep so if you enjoy a fast pace environment.

Team Building Events:
    * Great way to know the coworkers and ease work tension.
    * Kiewit provides plenty of team building events that does help people become friends.

Cons

Benefit:
    * Unfortunately, if you’re not a stockholder, you’re not viewed as valued employee at Kiewit.

Pay:
    * After a while, the pay becomes unimpressive.
    * When working at a job-site, the pay is extremely low, especially when broken down into hourly wage. Personally, in the office, I worked 60-70 hours/week doing Ops. I worked 90 hours/week estimating. At Jobsites, my life was dedicated to the projects even though I’ve personal responsibilities.
    * It’s widely known that anyone who gets hired after you would make more money than you.
    * Yearly raises are extremely unfair. You could get 2-3% raises while the people you would train would get 10% raises. This is very unfair and it does bring motivation level and ambitious people down. Such practices shows people that their hard work is unappreciated and this world is nothing but dark crucial place where they’re just being used, abused and underappreciated.

Reputation:
    * Kiewit’s reputation could be a resume builder, but it’s also affecting the company negatively.
    * Kiewit’s reputation outside is not the greatest. People get treated badly and end up leaving the company to work somewhere else and end up becoming successful people.
    Projects:

* Work-Life balance is a big issue
    * With the long hours spent at various projects, it’s very important for people to get along with each other so the experience can be enjoyable.
    * Engineers unfortunately, especially the ones that don’t know people in power are used, abused and unappreciated, while the people in power get most if not all the credit. However, this would depend on the morals of the manager.
    * Poor choices of leadership leads to projects being run by inexperienced people who don’t make wise decisions.
    * No recognition of others.
    * Communication is big con that I have seen at Kiewit as a whole:
    1. Huge miss communication. That’s because it seems like everyone for themselves whether they realize it or not.
    2. The management team across Kiewit as a whole is inexperienced. Some managers were promoted way too early. Some other have never managed people or high profile projects previously.
    3. People are scared to communicate effectively. When people are asked a question in meetings. Usually job security is what's feared.
    * People are just numbers on various projects. Such key role players are usually pulled away from projects suddenly. This cause turnaround process issues as well as closeout issues.
    * Common goal:
    1. People are not working for the same common goal. From what I’ve seen, people are throwing people under the bus in order to make themselves look good (I’ve been through this over and over) - reason? save their jobs and run away from their actions.
    2. When FE from other disciplines are not cooperating with each other, there’s a loss of production.
    3. Major LFE and other FE only care about being on the center of the spotlight instead of completing the project the right way and take care of their assets.

Relocation:
    * A little to no notice is given to people before they get relocated. This makes people feel as if they’re just numbers. Also, most people have personal life, families and their own issues. Such practices add more issues to the individual's life
    * COLA is insufficient for SOME projects.

Management:
    * There is a 50/50 split on the types of managers you will encounter. You might get a great mentor, one who pushes you the right way and will request you for all of their projects. You might also get a manager that micromanages, belittles you, curses, demands that you do your job and theirs, forgets the chain of command, treats field engineers as slave labor. This type of manager, the one you would expect to be fired, actually get promoted. The company acts on the "good old boys club" promoting based on who you know, not what your skills or accomplishments are. You will have to become buddy, buddy with a person from said group to get acknowledged for the stock program.
    * All companies have a good ol' boys club and Kiewit is no exception. Sometimes you get into this club via merit and sometimes it's because you kissed the right rear-end. Unfortunately, this is just how the world works. Not every hardworking employee doesn’t recognized, but it seems like the majority are some other’s drinking pals.
    * Management is out of touch, for example, if nothing gets reported, no one would realize something is wrong whether it’s quality, ethic, or personnel issues.
    * Management team seems to be focusing only on the negative side. I could do 10 things right and 1 thing wrong, however what would get remembered is the negative.

Personnel:
    * Almost everywhere I went personnel issues was a big issue which impacts projects sites and offices negatively. For the future, project’s personnel should be chosen carefully so the chemistry can be better.
    * Big reason why employee leave is because of the management’s ARROGANT PERSONALITY. I was belittled almost everywhere I went. Such practices really put a burden on individuals and cause the high turnover that Kiewit has (over 50%).
    * From what I’ve seen HR is just a face, I haven’t thought about going to HR regard anything, because I know they won’t be able to help me when the work environment is obviously a known hostile environment.
    * Advancement seemed to be available only to those in leadership positions or who are connected with people who are in powerful positions

Safety:
    * Safety is preached widely, but not followed, because the leadership cares only about its own success instead of the overall common goal.

Advice to Management

Start treating people like you would like to be treated. Put yourself in their shoes, the ones you forgot about. Young folks are not going to endure your company for longer than 5 years if you do not change the way you think and act. Act as professional as you would to a client to ALL of your fellow employees. Learn humility. Be more open minded to employees with families. Do not talk down to your staff, talk to them…

Put ancillary initiatives on the back burner and focus on re-building employee proficiency with core skills. Proficiency with core skills will develop itself over time if Kiewit allows people to become good at their job before changing it. Get rid of the mentality that employees are either moving up in the company, or moving out. Kiewit needs specialists in specific roles to be successful. Right now, talent is diluted because people are not given the opportunity to employ the lessons they've learned from their mistakes before being moved on elsewhere to make more mistakes. Some people will survive this sink or swim culture and be successful.

Most will not. The stock program is no longer a motivating carrot because it's not as profitable, and generation Y doesn't think long term. Drastic changes to the compensation structure are needed as a result. Pay is top-heavy and senior management does not contribute to the bottom line as much as Kiewit has convinced themselves that they do. Front-load compensation by instituting a bonus culture at low levels. Reward proficient specialists equivalently to those with management roles. Get rid of deferred pay increases for those entering a new role. Reward top talent appropriately before they leave. Drop the ego that Kiewit is the best at everything. Kiewit may once have been the best at everything, but it's not anymore. Resting on laurels and a "too-big-to-fail" mentality will be Kiewit's biggest downfall. Try to keep the new culture of politics, bureaucracy, and corporate BS to a minimum. Talented people don't have time for that.

10. "I would never work for them again."

Former Employee - CDL Driver in Lusby, MD
    Former Employee - CDL Driver in Lusby, MD

I worked at Kiewit Power Constructors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent. Most of the co-workers are good.

Cons

One is set up for failure from day one. Communication is lousy, Safety is a joke. If you speak up or report a Safety issue you will have a taeget on your back. Half of the management team is incompetent. A very Negative environment to work in. One needs to be in the "Good ole boy club" and a "Brown noser".

Advice to Management

Better communication and skill level. Employees are your most valuable asset. Without good workers, the job and company will suffer.