Kiki de Montparnasse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kama Carnes

"superior products, great brand, good leadership, under-funded"

I have been working at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was promoted twice with raises within a few years. I report to the President and think she's a good mentor who has made the brand. I like most of the people who work here.

Cons

There's been a couple bad hires, the one left needs to go.
    It's run like a start up. People think it's a big company with lots of money behind it, but there's little financial investment. Example, there isn't money to make new product or for anything really.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.
    Need funding.

2. "Unethical"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful product with exceptional construction. Third party offerings were chosen well.

Cons

I was terminated for being pregnant and not given any reason and was not paid in full at my termination as is Nevada law. I was promises opportunities for quick advancement which was not the case. The location I was in generated very little business.

Advice to Management

The product in the store was beautiful but presentation was lacking. Customers expressed a lot of curiosity about the brand but it was on the employees themselves to research the brand and share the story. I was brought in to correct behavioral issues with the previous staff that involved drinking on the job and inappropriate interactions with guests. The new team was professional and motivated but shortly after my belly started to show in the gowns that were our uniforms, I was let go suddenly without reason.

"Sad but True..."

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time

Pros

Beautiful product, strong brand, heaps of potential, if you are strong at self-managing & motivating then the lack of management would be a pro

Cons

Has had same product for many years now, poorly managed company on whole, president of company presumably means well but micromanages beyond compare, more than often does not show up to work and crafts transparent excuses and stories as to explain her absence, only looks out for herself, does not build up employees, doesn't recognize new, strong ideas, no consideration for others. There isn't room for growth despite what president may promise you upon hire. The office environment is, in truth, toxic. The same awful cycle over and over, ad nauseum. No funding. Extremely low salary compared to comparable brands. I cannot think of a single past (or present) employees with much of anything nice to say, and doesn't that say it all. Cannot speak one way or other to these prior reviews, but given president's obsession with yelp (staff has been asked to write glowing reviews before, and to have trusted friends do), my guess would be that she is chiming in here, and often.

Advice to Management

Where to begin...Structure, discipline, and hard work need to come from the top down. Funds need to be applied to the necessary areas. New product is essential. HR would be a good idea, some checks and balances. Hire enthusiastic retail staff who actually want to work in retail. Really just start anew. Don't try to hire inexperienced (and thus cheap) staff who don't know what they're doing. Strength really begins at the top. Good luck!

"Sadly Kiki is gone..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The beautifully designed boutiques, exquisite tailoring, sexy sophisticated designs, some great talent although very few.

Cons

The company has gone under and no longer exists. The TRUE negative reviews were absolutely accurate. It was run into the ground by a megalomaniac who hid her lack of experience very well. The owner did not know the drama, chaos and unprofessional atmosphere we all experienced day in and day out. If the brand had a true professional it would have done exceptionally well. It's very sad the truth was not made known. Attempts were made but he did not want to hear the truth.

Advice to Management

Continue the brand again in one small discreet locale which caters to the VIP clientele.

"Setting the record straight - I recommend."

I have been working at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time

Pros

Part of my job is to be aware of what's out there about the brand. I came across some bad reviews on GD that are from the same bitter person who continues to post untrue comments about the company. Her personal vendetta against the company and executives shows her ineptness and lack of professionalism. I have not been solicited to write this, just want to do the right thing.

Cons

It's a great place to work, but one entitled employee who doesn't get her way can be a drain on such a small team.

Advice to Management

More funds allocated to R&D and digital/social marketing would be helpful.

"Great opportunity to connect with clients but poorly managed"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The name recognition for those in the know make this a great place to work for. They truly make beautiful products and curate the product offering very well. Management does a good job of maintaining the allure of the brand.

Cons

The management style made the corporate environment very hostile & stifling. It's a small company so growth opportunities and earning potential are very limited and extended only to a select few who are well received socially by the President. There wasn't a sense of unity among the teams at different stores, corporate or logistics.

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly. Keep your eyes open to bad behavior and good behavior and use that as a benchmark for internal growth. Invest in your people and they will treat your company like their own.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Wonderfully curated and luxurious boutique. Gorgeous product.

Cons

The president is absolutely out of her mind. She likes to say all the right things and act like she cares so much about employees, but her actions show the complete opposite. For a while, I have been receiving these updates. Every time a truthful negative review gets posted, two more fake overwhelmingly positive reviews get posted over top. It is clear that the owners and president of this company do not want to accept any fault and make any decent changes after so many poor reviews. Instead, they keep trying to cover up the truth. One last thing, a year ago, things got so bad here that an entire team walked out on the store. Trust me you don't want to work here. Go to La Perla or Agent Provocateur and save yourself the trouble.

"Don't be fooled"

I have been working at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time

Pros

prestigious name and beautiful product

Cons

Poor leadership, cliquish corporate culture, nasty gossip which travels fast in a small company, no room for growth, very little innovation. Do not believe the recent glowing reviews - they were solicited after several people quit or were laid off to attract talent. This is not a meritocracy so be ready to feel a lot of frustration if you take the job. Those with the CEO's ear take credit for other peoples' work.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility and don't encourage yes-men.

"Great brand, wonderful people and room to grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Kiki for over 3 years. I must say it’s a great place to work. It seems these sites attract more gripes than compliments from ex employees needing a place to voice off. But I’d like to think giving an honest review will help attract more good people (good for me and the company.) It’s a fast-paced fashion company, so it’s got the usual pressures. The difference is a) there’s heart in the work (CEO is great and so is the rest of the team), b) the product is amazing, c) you can grow quickly and people train you and care about your welfare. It’s a family, and there’s not many companies out there who still invest in their employees or think about you more than a number.

Cons

It’s a small company and you have to pull your weight. Can be a con for some, but those who like to be productive and acknowledged for it, it’s a plus.

Advice to Management

Need more sales people in corporate. So many opportunities and interests, just can’t get to it all…

"High on my list of best experiences so far."

I have been working at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The designs are absolutely stunning. It's true that everything is made by hand, and in New York. You are so proud to work here because of the quality of the people and products. I respect the head of the company and admire her as a person and leader. She takes time with everyone and mentors each employee. Everyone feels connected and like family, and it starts at the top and spans out across the company.

Cons

During peak busy times, we all are working super hard against deadline. It's fun because we're working together on important things, and you see your hard work come to life. But it can be intense when it all happens at once. There's less than 10 of us in corporate, and we all wear multiple hats.

Advice to Management

Would benefit from more support entry level positions to help with workload.