Kimball International Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert F. Schneider

1. "Fantastic Company!"

Current Employee - Architecture & Design Market Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Architecture & Design Market Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Kimball International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Literally the nicest company to work for. Extremely generous, sustainable, kind, thoughtful... You are definitely part of a family here.

Cons

Sometimes things are a little slower in the MidWest (compared to our East coast pace), but we have learned to work together

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Market Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Market Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful exposure, etc.

Cons

None currently at this time.

3. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Jasper, IN
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Jasper, IN

I worked at Kimball International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No positive things to say about this "on it for yourself only" company. Worst place that I have ever worked.

Cons

The "leadership team" at Kimball Hospitality is a joke at best. They do not run the company, they let one specific customer dictate who gets what positions. There is absolutely no team there it is every person for themselves. I have seen a member of leadership give direction and when that direction was wrong they denied giving that direction and blamed it on the employee. No morals and HR is only there to cover their own tails. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Leadership team is allowed to yell and curse at employees with HR sticking up for them. Very toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Let the entire leadership team go!

5. "Great company with good values"

Former Employee - Sales in Jasper, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Jasper, IN

I worked at Kimball International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deep rooted history. Very knowledgeable and tenured people at corporate. Good pay. Good benefits. Non micro managed work place. Good product quality.

Cons

Confusing dealer distribution. Male dominated management and workforce. Old school approach to processes. Weak architect and designer presence. Corporate culture.

"Not a bad company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Post Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Post Falls, ID

I have been working at Kimball International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has been great working with me to allow me to be the mom I needed to be and setting my hours where I needed them. I have been given opportunities to grow and advance with in the company. When announcing their closure this year that have given many of us a year to two years to figure out what we are doing and find employment. It's sad, but I'm grateful for the time to adjust.

Cons

For what I do I am paid horribly low, but was willing to endure such to balance me family life. If you are looking for advancement and pay that matches this may not be a fit for you. If you are willing to make a trade off for the sake of family life then it'll be a good fit.

Advice to Management

I have always said this company needs to do better in training those that are looking to advance, especially your leads.

7. "Great career choice!"

Former Employee - Sander in Danville, KY
    Former Employee - Sander in Danville, KY

I worked at Kimball International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work days, hours, benefits, and retirement. The people were great to work with.

Cons

You would find sometimes that some employees would slack off in your department so you would have to pick up the slack.

Advice to Management

Make sure all employees are not slacking and supervisors are keeping up with their departments.

8. "Professional people, dedicated to improving processes, serving customers, and developing their people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jasper, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jasper, IN

I worked at Kimball International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offered lots of growth and development professionally though internal and corporate trainings. Given opportunities to grow into new roles. Good group of people overall.

Cons

While there may be development and professional growth, the advancement into new roles didn't always reap the proportional salary adjustments. To be successful, it really depends on who your manager is and if they have your back. Otherwise, good luck with raises or advancement. Work/life balance wasn't always there, again, depends on your direct manager.

Advice to Management

Take time to understand internal processes and have better communication between departments. Seek to really listen to employees when concerns are brought to your attention.

"Covering their Assets"

Current Employee - Can't Say in Jasper, IN
    Current Employee - Can't Say in Jasper, IN

I have been working at Kimball International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not to much possitive to say about the company. They really seem more about the inside group then about the company or the people.

Cons

Young people with little experience are often hired over people of real experience. It creates an atmosphere where incompetent management can gain suporters. Young inexperienced people tend to go along with the program and are moldable. Experienced people won't put up with it.

Advice to Management

If the departments are hiring inexperienced people, it's a red flag. Consider the risk in these departments to be very high!

10. "Oppressive"

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Kimball International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job is in Florida which has no State income taxes. That does not come close to compensating for low salaries at this company

Cons

Very weak salaries and benefits package. Promise of bonuses do not come true due to cost structure caused when Kimball purchased Reptron. Long hours required of salaried staff. Equipment is old and outdated and provides difficulty when trying to meet quality requirements of the customer. This company wants to compete with the big boys (e.g. Flex, celestica, plexus, jabil, foxconn), but they never will. They can't provide the service level of the larger EMS providers so they have to work their employees like dogs to meet a lower price level. Customer base is the scraps the big players in the industry do not want.

Advice to Management

Sell out to larger company

"Popularity Contest"

Former Employee - Travel in French Lick, IN
    Former Employee - Travel in French Lick, IN

I worked at Kimball International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If your charming and mindless with minimal skills you will fit right in. Smile and nod with every thing they say.

Cons

The company is a popularity contest with managers who could not tie their shoes and employees who are let go if they say anything. Perfect place if you want to live a lie and have a brown nose.

Advice to Management

Take the golden parachute. I am not sure this company can be saved from what is inevitable at this point.