Kimball Midwest Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Kimball Midwest CEO Pat McCurdy
Pat McCurdy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Superior american made products (in 10 reviews)

• What I have come to find during my time here is a family owned company whose idea of appreciation is to treat you like part of the family (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Each sales rep has every tool they need to succeed (in 9 reviews)

• In order to work for Kimball, or any other MRO company you will have to sign a non compete agreement (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales jobs here are tough but very rewarding. Uncapped income opportunity and flexible hours!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, uncapped income opportunity, positive yet competitive environment. The company will supplement your income for the first year and give you additional goals in their building block training program, which is designed to make you a well rounded salesperson.

Cons

You must be able to motivate yourself to get out and sell as there is no specific office to report to every morning. You also should expect to sell on quality and value, not price. Sales goals can be slightly aggressive for people who are not used to a highly active schedule.

Advice to Management

Stick with your current core values as a salesperson based company and I'm sure Kimball will continue to grow exponentially!

2. "District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - District Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kimball Midwest is a family owned company. It is amazing the difference working for a family owned business vs. one driven by stock holders. The McCurdy's care so much for their employees and it is real. The culture is very strong and everyone has a commitment to excellence. I've worked for Kimball 9 years now and my only regret is not coming to work for them sooner.

Cons

I really don't have many cons. At Kimball, if there are any issues, everyone works together to get better and more efficient.

"Outside sales"

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time

Pros

It's a people person job. So if you love talking and meeting new people it's great

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. After having a plan to reach 400k in projected sales by getting into accounts that many had tried but they failed it wasn't good enough. One bad month and I got the axe. Then they had the audacity to ask for my connections at the accounts and almost a half year later I still have customers calling because no one has serviced them. There was no warning. No meeting saying you need to do this or this will happen.

Advice to Management

Better compensation package is definitely needed especially when you're paying for your own gas.
    The 10-6-2 is a flawed system and you guys admit it. 10-6-2 does not build massive accounts it builds a poor taste in the customers mouth.
    Training is poor at every level. You're supposed to have a certain amount of training days per month and you're lucky if the managers show up for half.

This is the epitome of a business that will be defunct in 10-15 years. Yes they've doubled in size every 5 years but they've hit a point where they've lost the sales ideology. The very nature of what they sell is being threatened by amazon because through a search that takes <30 seconds you can find out who makes their products and buy them for 1/6 of the price.

If you want to succeed invest in real ideas that when brought to you actually take a look at. Not "oh that would cost to much" or "that wouldn't fit our old school sales platform" there's a reason it's called old school sales. It's because it's old and has been replaced by newer better things.

"Regional Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for! Privately held, sales culture that focuses on our 2 customers: Reps and End Users. The leadership is consistent, honest and of the highest integrity.

Cons

We experience growing pains as we strive to double our sales every 5 years

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on Kimball Midwest's Core Values and Behaviors. Continue to be Sales Culture of Growth!

"Product line"

Current Employee - Product Line in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Product Line in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and approachable management

Cons

Pay could be better and no 401k match

"No company is perfect, but I do love my job!!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hey I am not saying that Kimball is perfect, but no company is. But I will say that Kimball has turned out to be a perfect company for me. As a sales rep with this company I can earn what I'm worth. Is it always easy?? NO. THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE EARNED!!! This company bends over backwards to give you all the training you open you mind up to receive. All the tools to do your job. And all the support a salesperson could ask for. But they can't go out and do the work for you. So kimball allows you to go out and work as hard as you can and let's you make as much as you can.

Cons

Our prices are too high (ok I said it) ... but of course this is rhetorical. Unfortunately many people get way too hung up on price. In fact many potential customers get hung up on price. But understand a few things... if we sell solely on price then we will lose customers on price. But if we earn customers on value then We can have customers for life. If you don't believe me then go to the nearest Mercedes dealer and ask them to cut their price to match the knock off brand down the street. I hope you are a fast runner because they will likely chase you off the lot. Or go to the nearest tire store and tell them you want the top of the line tire but at the cheapest tire price. Good luck!!! Bottom line folks is that value has to mean something. You get what you pay for. And for those of us reps that have become successful with kimball it's because we believe that our prices are not higher but are an extremely good price for the value provided. The people that can't make it in this business with kimball should not blame kimball, but take a real hard look in the mirror and realize that they weren't willing to do the work it takes to build a successful business. If it was easy and the cheapest everybody could do it and that would take away from what makes Kimball special as a company and as a opportunity!!

My biggest con is that I wish we had better insurance ... of course my expectations are high and like many people... who wants to be at the mercy of this country's insurance issues etc.

Advice to Management

Keep your hiring standards high. All of our reputations are on the line as we continually build Kimball brand to a high standard.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time

Pros

Great family to work for.

Cons

Sometimes the days are to long

"Sales Representative Review"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Make your own hours. Owners are invested in the success of employees

Cons

Commission only. Poor health benefits. No vacation or holiday pay.

Advice to Management

Consider giving outside sales representatives base salaries and paid vacation & holidays. Improve health insurance options.

9. "Employee-Centric Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The owners are very present in all areas of the company. Kimball Midwest does a phenomenal job at appreciating the hard work and talents of their employees by hold employee of the month ceremonies, company cookouts and holding other various activities. Education and growth are supported with professional development and really demonstrates the meaning behind "Green and Growing".

Cons

The pay is a little under median however well worth the work/life balance and appreciation received from the company owners and managers.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the development of your staff. It goes a long way!

10. "Kimball"

Current Employee - Picker in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Picker in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy, Monday-Friday schedule, benefits and paid holidays

Cons

Some Shifts are to late