Kimball Midwest Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kimball Midwest CEO Pat McCurdy
Pat McCurdy

Pros
  • Family owned company where it is clear the owners truly care about their employees and the community (in 16 reviews)

• Superior american made products (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Each sales rep has every tool they need to succeed (in 9 reviews)

• In order to work for Kimball, or any other MRO company you will have to sign a non compete agreement (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work with!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have worked with this company for 14 years as sales rep. Unlimited support from top management all the way down. Continous training opportunities, bonus opportunities, and unlimited earnings potential.

Cons

If you don't put in the effort, you don't reap the rewards

2. "It's a great place to be!"

I have been working at Kimball Midwest (More than 8 years)

Pros

KM offers schedule flexibility which is a great thing to have. Our department works really well and closely together. There are often employee appreciation lunches and employee of the month recognitions.
    The owners know everyone and thank us often for our contributions.

Cons

Being a smaller company there are not a ton of opportunities for advancement and some promotions seem to not be merit based.
    The health insurance can be confusing and expensive but there is a company HSA contribution to offset the expense.

3. "Sales Represenative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family owned and operated. There is still a company in todays climate who has a genuine interest in your success. Sales Reps are treated as valued assets. You earn what you're worth. This is the best company to work for in this industry...

Cons

If your not a sales person you're not going to make it here and you shouldn't.

Advice to Management

Please do not ever sell out. Publicly traded companies are full of greedy shareholders who could careless. I hope I never have to work for another one.

5. "Great and Progressive Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have the ability to make a significant impact on the sales team and sales managers on a daily basis. It really is a family focused culture from the ownership down to the sales team which no other organization I've ever worked for comes close to. It is a regular occurrence for the owners of the company to stop me and say hello, congratulate me on my successes, and to ask questions regarding my role and what is working and not working. The company really has a continuous improvement mindset and I enjoy being able to make suggestions and changes to better improve processes and procedures at every level. I can say that in terms of the opportunities available for sales reps/managers etc. they are very lucrative. But, you do have to put in the work to achieve success. You cannot expect to be successful and be rewarded if you do not put in the hard work that is necessary to achieve it. The positions that I recruit for are not for everyone, you need to be a self-motivated and driven person that enjoys having full control over your business and your career. I have been recruiting for this company for over 5 years and have talked to many candidates at hundreds of different companies and so far we are the only company, in my opinion, that allows an employee to have full control over their career from upward progression and compensation from a sales rep role to sales management. We also find the right fit for that individual within our company if their current role is not best suited for them. We are also one of the only companies that I know of that rewards and praises the sales team at the extent they do and truly makes a "two customer" philosophy.

Cons

In my current role, the biggest "con" would be that I do not have more of a say in terms of my capabilities in the hiring process. As a recruiter, it can be frustrating not having control over a full-cycle recruitment process. But, this is a very moderate "con" in my opinion as I still am able to have input and give some direction to the management team on potential candidates.

Advice to Management

None at this time. Continue to be open to change as this has been a huge benefit of working for the company.

6. "Quirky, but Quality"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full of engaging personnel, Encourage a culture of development both professional and personal, Family owned/operated as a part of day to day operations and improvements, Strong emphasis on /investment in growth

Cons

Set policies with many grandfathered-in exceptions

7. "Field Sales Representative"

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time

Pros

Independence, no ceiling on income potential. Wonderful product quality and shipping support.

Cons

Crossover of customer base, as no geographic protected territories exist.

Advice to Management

Betterv vetting of sales team due to frequent turnover, which affects customer satisfaction.

8. "Horrible experience working for this company ."

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time

Pros

High commission Rate, Freedom, Flexibility, Network Support ,New Products

Cons

Very limited management support. I was told pay plan, benefits and mileage were guaranteed that is false. The pay plan, benefits and mileage are linked to the goals if the goals are obtained no benefits, no mileage pay and no base pay. I was totally misled by management. I was told to set up my friends and family to acquire first bonus. I was told there are no shipping fees , but I was not told that if a customer has to return anything the sales rep pays for it. The company encourages management to mislead new applicants to get sales reps to sign on with company. The local managers get bonuses for new applicants apart of this misleading pay plan.

Advice to Management

Increase Management support.
    Lower prices to be competitive

"Non Stock Purchasing"

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kimball cares about it's internal employees and does a good job showing it. Free lunches and awards ceremonies abound. Opportunities to move in the company are always present for those who want to move up.

Cons

Kimball leadership cares too much about GP% and not enough about putting money in the bank. Larger sales are difficult to make due to this philosophy.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the internal employees. Sales reps are important, but internal employees feel like second class citizens sometimes.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Key Account Specialist in Clovis, CA
    Current Employee - Key Account Specialist in Clovis, CA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

To be such a large company and still be willing to take input from the field to make things better is very cool.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say, the company is willing to give you the tools to get the job done, it's up to us to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Keep the business operating as a "Speed Boat" and not a ship!

11. "Great opportunity"

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time

Pros

A culture that does what it says it will do. Challenging. Great people at all levels and tremendous support. Winners will love it here.

Cons

Not really any downsides.

Advice to Management

Continue finding ways to speed up processes and to eliminate redundancy across programs, applications, and work flow. Be willing to drive changes that make good business sense even if a few people groan about it.