Kimball Midwest Reviews | Glassdoor

Kimball Midwest Reviews

Updated April 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • What I have come to find during my time here is a family owned company whose idea of appreciation is to treat you like part of the family (in 17 reviews)

• Superior american made products (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Each sales rep has every tool they need to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• In order to work for Kimball, or any other MRO company you will have to sign a non compete agreement (in 6 reviews)

"A great place for sales professionals"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Kimball Midwest (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a SALES PROFESSIONAL who's grown tired of companies who don't see you as such, who reward all of your hard work and efforts by capping your earnings, who are constantly revising and "tweaking" your compensation plan, or who make you do a pile of reporting only because both sales and upper management are clueless as to what it is you do all day, then Kimball Midwest just might be the place for you. At Kimball Midwest, it's the SALESPERSON who's at the top of the organizational chart--not the CEO or the managers. The entire organization is committed and driven to doing whatever it takes to support YOU, a.k.a. "the boss." The company realizes that without YOU out there selling every day, they have no company. It truly is a refreshing culture for salespeople. I only wish I'd found them when I was starting out in sales.

Cons

Obviously no company is perfect, and Kimball Midest is not for everybody (as the negative feedback here at Glassdoor witll attest). Perhaps one of the most unique things about Kimball Midwest is that all of our sales managers are SELLING managers. We go through the same "on boarding" process as every new hire; none of us begin managing salespeople until we've been out in the field carrying the bag, selling and building up our own territories. In other words, we know what life is like in the trenches, and we know first-hand what it takes to be successful...and what it takes to fail. The reps that I've hired who've gone on to enjoy great success with us have the following traits: money-motivated, aggressive without being overly pushy, self-disciplined to manage their own business without a lot of oversight, smart, customer-focused, and willing to work hard and put in a lot of extra hours during the first year or two that it takes to build up a solid territory. When I think back on the reps that I've hired who failed, virtually all of them shared the following traits: disorganized, unable to close on a sale and ask for the order, confused persistence with being pushy, lazy and unwilling to put in the time and effort needed to build their territories. If you see yourself as having all of the SUCCESSFUL traits that I mentioned, DO NOT BE DETERRED by any negative comments here on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great family owned company that gives you everything you need to succeed."

Current Employee - District Manager in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Hammond, IN

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time

Pros

Work out of your home office.
    Highest commission in the industry.
    Great training available.
    Great sales support.
    Highest quality products.
    Spend 80% on USA made products.
    Availability of ownership.
    Family is involved at every level of the business so there is a voice for every employee.
    Great benefits that are geared toward helping sales force.

Cons

Benefits package is sometimes confusing to understand.
    If you don't have the wherewithal to be a straight commission rep. this career is not for you.
    Economy can greatly effect your success.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what it is that has made you so successful and those who want to work hard with you and achieve success have that opportunity.

"Okay company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Representstive in Manteca, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representstive in Manteca, CA

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess it would be the freedom of setting your own schedule

Cons

No real hands on training, Start from scratch in building your account base, competing against other Kimball sales people for the same piece of business.

Advice to Management

Define territories for the sellers so that they can be more productive.

"salesman"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with accounts and selling a quality product. Could make a lot of income in right situation

Cons

First year is difficult, Not enough time given to build the territory.

Advice to Management

A new salesman needs at least a year of a base salary. Especially if taking of an area that has been run down. Takes time to build a business.

"Average at best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality products, good facility, training is thorough. Not a lot of things you wouldn't expect any company to be

Cons

Management has a "superior" attitude, and you will be left on your own to figure out many things. Lots of failed delivery shipments because of out of stock items. Poor health plan, pay dates vary by month.

Advice to Management

Learn the ropes before telling others how to go do their jobed. Drop the Almighty attitude

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management, family oriented company

Cons

Pay plans, poor health benefits and 401K

Advice to Management

With record breaking year after year sales growth, how about investing some of that profit into a 401K company match and find some decent health insurance. Also, new sales people should have a 12 month salary plus commission.

"Quality people, products, and service."

Current Employee - Sales Manager In Training in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager In Training in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Kimball Midwest (More than a year)

Pros

Kimball Midwest has an excellent line of products to serve a diverse array of businesses. The product quality is incredible and when demonstrated properly will wow the most experienced of end users. I started with very little product knowledge but Kimball provides excellent training and all the support you can expect out of an employer. If you can't sell this product, you probably shouldn't be in sales.

Cons

There are no cons for those who want to sell quality American made products. It's hard work! You really have to hustle your first year but it really pays off. I've been in retail, direct, and contracted service sales for over 20 years and this is by far the most rewarding.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing! You have found some of the most talented, honest, hard working reps in the sales world and I can tell that they love what they do and are proud to work for such a great company. Thank you for the opportunity!

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to get out and see customers. Have good products to supply the customers and clients with. Growing company in industrial maintenance.

Cons

They tell you that they will start you with a base salary package plus commission for first year, then progress to commission only after that. However that's one HUGE LIE!

"Outside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lorton, VA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lorton, VA

I worked at Kimball Midwest (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products to sell to customers.

Cons

You have to be able to carry 70lbs of equipment to each sales call and do several demonstrations in front of customers. I ended up getting hurt on the job and was out of work for almost 4 years. Very physical job. Straight commission as well!

"It's a job"

Former Employee - Shipper in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Shipper in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company. Family owned. Cookouts every other month.

Cons

No opportunity to move up the ladder. Politics as usual.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the company.