Kimball Midwest Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kimball Midwest CEO Pat McCurdy
Pat McCurdy

Pros
  • Superior american made products (in 10 reviews)

• What I have come to find during my time here is a family owned company whose idea of appreciation is to treat you like part of the family (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Each sales rep has every tool they need to succeed (in 9 reviews)

• In order to work for Kimball, or any other MRO company you will have to sign a non compete agreement (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work with!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have worked with this company for 14 years as sales rep. Unlimited support from top management all the way down. Continous training opportunities, bonus opportunities, and unlimited earnings potential.

Cons

If you don't put in the effort, you don't reap the rewards

"Sales Rep."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New Lexington, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New Lexington, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Basically you are self employed , Great Customer Service. The mato is 2 Customers you the salesman and your customer. The Best inside TEAM IN THE INDUSTRY.

Cons

I have been with company for 10 years and have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the New Products and great training that Kimball Midwest provides...

"Outside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to list. This is a horrible company to work for. There are no set territories so you waste a lot of time cold calling. They need to get an up-to-date system

Cons

EVERYTHING.... DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY. You are treated with no respect, management is horrible and they do not know how to help or manage

Advice to Management

Grow some balls. Hire qualified people

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

American made products
    Lots of really great items of all kinds
    Very nice office staff
    Good products with high prices
    No time management
    You work at your own pace
    Insurance options if you make your sales goal.
    Insurance is not really very good coverage

Cons

Very vague on details during hiring process otherwise no one would except the job. No 401k plan but they tell you that they offer one. you use your vehicle and pay for gas. They do not take out your state taxes. You pay for your customers catalogs $15 each you pay for company handheld to communicate your sales $15 a week to use this. You pay for your samples to demonstrate to your customers. If you have none you will sell nothing. If a customer has a return they take it out of your paycheck for shipping label to return item. They seriously rock your paycheck for a lot of money and you can't do anything about it. There is a lot of hidden things they don't tell you up front. You learn the untold along the way. They offer a good start pay but neglect to tell you it's not all clear money. There prices are so high it's almost impossible to get 20 percent commission on sales like they lead you to believe.
    Very very few long term employees in the sales department of kimball. The reason kimball is designed to make all the money with almost no overhead cost. Kimball investment is nothing in there employees. If you leave they leave accounts dormant with no service. Witch makes it hard to gain customers trust if they had previous rep . Do your research folks before you jump into this company. They pray on people that have a great book of business and promise you everything. Most find themselves very disappointed and lied to by kimball.

Advice to Management

I felt like this was kind of a Pyramid scheme. My manager
    Was so interested in hiring bodies that he was mostly unavailable to his current sales team. The more he managed the more money he made. But in away I see why he stayed so busy hiring people because after a couple months most was leaving the company. You have almost no support in the sales Feild. They mostly leave you alone after your training. My manager was very pushy salesman when he worked with me . I was always ask to not bring him back to accounts by my customers. They don't care what you sell or how you sell it just sell it and worry about your next sales goal when it's time. Ruthless is a great description of selling for kimball. I have never experienced anything like kimball Midwest in my life. It's unbelievable to me they even have any sales force by the way they operate and treat people.

"Manipulative Organization"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly nothing was positive about this company.

Cons

Entire experience from interview, to their "training" to their sales "process" was a joke. Felt like I had joined a cult. Not sure if they actually believe their own BS or if they just have no morals and laugh all the way to the bank. I actually checked glass door before I accepted their job offer but as other reviewers have discovered they bury the real employee reviews into the back pages of Glass Door (nearly all of these authentic reviews are 1 star negative) with 5 star company planted reviews (all glowing & positive)...like I said, very much like a cult. Had I simply sorted the Glass Door reviews by rating and read the lowest rated reviews I would have saved my career (and my customers) a lot of pain and grief.

Advice to Management

Be honest. A first step in your rehabilitation? Stop attempting to influence honest online review sites like Glass door. Use the Golden Rule, the way to get your reviews positive is to treat employees and customers like human beings, just because an employee has signed your non compete doesn't mean you own them.

"salesman"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with accounts and selling a quality product. Could make a lot of income in right situation

Cons

First year is difficult, Not enough time given to build the territory.

Advice to Management

A new salesman needs at least a year of a base salary. Especially if taking of an area that has been run down. Takes time to build a business.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to get out and see customers. Have good products to supply the customers and clients with. Growing company in industrial maintenance.

Cons

They tell you that they will start you with a base salary package plus commission for first year, then progress to commission only after that. However that's one HUGE LIE!

"Outside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lorton, VA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lorton, VA

I worked at Kimball Midwest (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products to sell to customers.

Cons

You have to be able to carry 70lbs of equipment to each sales call and do several demonstrations in front of customers. I ended up getting hurt on the job and was out of work for almost 4 years. Very physical job. Straight commission as well!

"Great place to create a career with good people who care deeply about your success"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Canton, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on sales, products are given to show and demonstrate. Flexible schedule, ability to be your own boss and run your own little business, great benefits, great pay, amazing front office for support, training was excellent, management is helpful, younger crowd who is eager to help you in anyway shape or form. Up and coming in technology. Constantly improving and trying to make things easier for sales reps.

Cons

Hardly any, wish there was a way to know exactly where current accounts are to avoid finding an account already is taken care of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the help, positive reinforcement is huge so thank you for that.

"Best job i've had"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest (More than 10 years)

Pros

Your success is all up to you and what you put into the job. I've been there more than 15 years and don't know what else I would do.
    I found that the harder I work, the luckier I get.

Cons

Doesn't happen very often but sometimes an order gets held up for no reason. And it seems to happen to really important orders. I've heard a lot worse from reps with other companies so maybe I'm spoiled. The pricing can be kind of high but I figure I'm a professional and I'm going to get paid for it. I earn the higher price. Besides, if you're in there because you're the cheapest, you're gone when somebody cheaper comes along. I'm there because I'm better. You have to be better and prove it to take my business. Good luck with that.

Advice to Management

Lower the requirements to attend sales meetings. These are great motivation and can drive higher numbers from slower reps with more exposure to successful people.