Kimball Midwest Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Kimball Midwest CEO Pat McCurdy
Pat McCurdy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Superior american made products (in 10 reviews)

• What I have come to find during my time here is a family owned company whose idea of appreciation is to treat you like part of the family (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Each sales rep has every tool they need to succeed (in 9 reviews)

• In order to work for Kimball, or any other MRO company you will have to sign a non compete agreement (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work with!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have worked with this company for 14 years as sales rep. Unlimited support from top management all the way down. Continous training opportunities, bonus opportunities, and unlimited earnings potential.

Cons

If you don't put in the effort, you don't reap the rewards

2. "No company is perfect, but I do love my job!!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hey I am not saying that Kimball is perfect, but no company is. But I will say that Kimball has turned out to be a perfect company for me. As a sales rep with this company I can earn what I'm worth. Is it always easy?? NO. THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE EARNED!!! This company bends over backwards to give you all the training you open you mind up to receive. All the tools to do your job. And all the support a salesperson could ask for. But they can't go out and do the work for you. So kimball allows you to go out and work as hard as you can and let's you make as much as you can.

Cons

Our prices are too high (ok I said it) ... but of course this is rhetorical. Unfortunately many people get way too hung up on price. In fact many potential customers get hung up on price. But understand a few things... if we sell solely on price then we will lose customers on price. But if we earn customers on value then We can have customers for life. If you don't believe me then go to the nearest Mercedes dealer and ask them to cut their price to match the knock off brand down the street. I hope you are a fast runner because they will likely chase you off the lot. Or go to the nearest tire store and tell them you want the top of the line tire but at the cheapest tire price. Good luck!!! Bottom line folks is that value has to mean something. You get what you pay for. And for those of us reps that have become successful with kimball it's because we believe that our prices are not higher but are an extremely good price for the value provided. The people that can't make it in this business with kimball should not blame kimball, but take a real hard look in the mirror and realize that they weren't willing to do the work it takes to build a successful business. If it was easy and the cheapest everybody could do it and that would take away from what makes Kimball special as a company and as a opportunity!!

My biggest con is that I wish we had better insurance ... of course my expectations are high and like many people... who wants to be at the mercy of this country's insurance issues etc.

Advice to Management

Keep your hiring standards high. All of our reputations are on the line as we continually build Kimball brand to a high standard.

3. "Sales jobs here are tough but very rewarding. Uncapped income opportunity and flexible hours!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, uncapped income opportunity, positive yet competitive environment. The company will supplement your income for the first year and give you additional goals in their building block training program, which is designed to make you a well rounded salesperson.

Cons

You must be able to motivate yourself to get out and sell as there is no specific office to report to every morning. You also should expect to sell on quality and value, not price. Sales goals can be slightly aggressive for people who are not used to a highly active schedule.

Advice to Management

Stick with your current core values as a salesperson based company and I'm sure Kimball will continue to grow exponentially!

"Sales Representative Review"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Make your own hours. Owners are invested in the success of employees

Cons

Commission only. Poor health benefits. No vacation or holiday pay.

Advice to Management

Consider giving outside sales representatives base salaries and paid vacation & holidays. Improve health insurance options.

5. "Sales-Don't waste your time, terrible company."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people but heed the warnings posted here...the negative reviews here are very true. They lie about everything it's a big waste of time.

Cons

This company is lacking any integrity at all. They do not treat people with respect or care about people at all. They lie when they are recruiting you. Be sure to ask the same question two or more times, you will get a different answer each time. After you sign the non-compete the truth comes out but it's too late. They sue everyone and you will have to pay to defend yourself.

Advice to Management

You can't buy integrity.

"Very misleading organization....beware!!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, in my experience. Their pens write nice.

Cons

Poor training, my manager was a con-artist, was blatantly lied to about account base provided (none). A lot of turnover in their sales dept. No defined territory, you will compete against your own company. You will make many fruitless sales calls on existing customers as KM will not tell you whom is an existing customer. If you're a single parent a sales job with KM offers zero stability. If you believe in integrity, and yourself, you will not like a sales job with KM. They have very poor vendor relationships, and the KM owners have already taken their cut...so you will be forced to sell at low margins. You will cold call day in day out to build your account base...completely unrealistic in a world where people need stability most. If you enjoy being a bottom feeder and sneaking in backdoors, this job is for you. You can do better I assure you!

Advice to Management

Don't lie to new salespeople when telling them they will have an account base. Tell new hires the job is all about constant cold calling, with zero active accounts. Explain the ridiculous pay plan in much greater detail. (I had weeks I earned less than minimum wage). Don't tell potential new hires the company can meet your pay requirements. Tell potential new hires the job is 100% commission and has no benefits for 60 days when you first interview. It will save many people a lot of time. KM's technology infrastructure is a joke...ever hear of SAP? Get in the game with major account opportunities, most large organizations won't touch you without some type of terms and contract. Bottom up sales only goes so far....where are the execs making and maintaining large customer relationships?

"Sales Rep."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New Lexington, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New Lexington, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Basically you are self employed , Great Customer Service. The mato is 2 Customers you the salesman and your customer. The Best inside TEAM IN THE INDUSTRY.

Cons

I have been with company for 10 years and have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the New Products and great training that Kimball Midwest provides...

"Outside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to list. This is a horrible company to work for. There are no set territories so you waste a lot of time cold calling. They need to get an up-to-date system

Cons

EVERYTHING.... DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY. You are treated with no respect, management is horrible and they do not know how to help or manage

Advice to Management

Grow some balls. Hire qualified people

9. "Unlimited earning potential with a flexible schedule"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the greatest benefits as an outside sales representative at Kimball Midwest is the opportunity of unlimited income with a flexible schedule. There are unlimited resource tools and a strong support team to help when needed.

Cons

I do not have any cons to report. In this business your success depends upon how self motivated you are. Wake up, go sell and make it happen, it's all up to you!

Advice to Management

Continue to support Sales Representatives to work as if they were running their own business.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

American made products
    Lots of really great items of all kinds
    Very nice office staff
    Good products with high prices
    No time management
    You work at your own pace
    Insurance options if you make your sales goal.
    Insurance is not really very good coverage

Cons

Very vague on details during hiring process otherwise no one would except the job. No 401k plan but they tell you that they offer one. you use your vehicle and pay for gas. They do not take out your state taxes. You pay for your customers catalogs $15 each you pay for company handheld to communicate your sales $15 a week to use this. You pay for your samples to demonstrate to your customers. If you have none you will sell nothing. If a customer has a return they take it out of your paycheck for shipping label to return item. They seriously rock your paycheck for a lot of money and you can't do anything about it. There is a lot of hidden things they don't tell you up front. You learn the untold along the way. They offer a good start pay but neglect to tell you it's not all clear money. There prices are so high it's almost impossible to get 20 percent commission on sales like they lead you to believe.
    Very very few long term employees in the sales department of kimball. The reason kimball is designed to make all the money with almost no overhead cost. Kimball investment is nothing in there employees. If you leave they leave accounts dormant with no service. Witch makes it hard to gain customers trust if they had previous rep . Do your research folks before you jump into this company. They pray on people that have a great book of business and promise you everything. Most find themselves very disappointed and lied to by kimball.

Advice to Management

I felt like this was kind of a Pyramid scheme. My manager
    Was so interested in hiring bodies that he was mostly unavailable to his current sales team. The more he managed the more money he made. But in away I see why he stayed so busy hiring people because after a couple months most was leaving the company. You have almost no support in the sales Feild. They mostly leave you alone after your training. My manager was very pushy salesman when he worked with me . I was always ask to not bring him back to accounts by my customers. They don't care what you sell or how you sell it just sell it and worry about your next sales goal when it's time. Ruthless is a great description of selling for kimball. I have never experienced anything like kimball Midwest in my life. It's unbelievable to me they even have any sales force by the way they operate and treat people.