Kimley-Horn Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

3.6
Kimley-Horn President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 200% 401k Match plus annual profit sharing contributions to you 401k (in 33 reviews)

• One profit center" model allows employees to collaborate across all offices with minimal friction (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Virtually every "cons" section here mentions the poor work/life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Kimley Horn expects extra effort (in 35 reviews)

1. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Benefits are better than you can find elsewhere, especially straight out of school. The bonus and profit sharing are exceptionally good.

Cons

Their heavy dependance on the use of the UT (utilization) score is frustrating and overly one-sided.

2. "Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of opportunities

Cons

Long hours, but that's the nature of consulting.

Advice to Management

I've had nothing but a positive experience. Thankful to be part of this company.

"Good Benefits and Bonuses"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good at Kimley-Horn. Nothing to change there. They offer every employee an annual bonus, with bonus amount based on your performance.

Cons

Great ability to grow and move up in this company if you're an engineer. Harder to grow and move up for those that are not engineers.

Advice to Management

Be sure to take care of and provide opportunities to all employees, regardless of their role within the company, even if they aren't the ones winning work. .

"A Fantastic Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

Cons

Expectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

5. "Wish I would have joined Kimley-Horn sooner in my career!"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We work hard but are rewarded very well. Great people to work with. Communication on the financial success of the firm it an open book. Strong year end bonuses. Even during the lean years when other firms were shutting down, our staff still received bonuses. GENEROUS 401K plan. To me, this is a long term commitment. You could call me a Kimley-Horn cheerleader!

Cons

On the business ladder, promotions are very slow in coming. Much slower than on the engineering side of the company. I know this is an engineering firm and those are the people that pay our bills, but recognizing folks in HR, IS, Marketing, and Accounting is equally as important. Long term employees in these areas provide a depth of client service that is important to practice.

Advice to Management

Regional leadership teams function differently from region to region. Some are more involved in every day to day decision while others reach out to partners to make decisions. They are regional leaders not regional managers.

6. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Professional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The structure and the culture are all about being an entrepreneur. If you're looking for professional opportunities and rewards - there's no better place.

Cons

Consulting isn't for everyone - it can be a demanding profession. Clients are budget and schedule driven - and competition is fierce - this can create tensions that have to be balanced.

Advice to Management

Keep us externally focused - this business is all about serving clients. We're growing - let's keep the bar high for new staff.

7. "Exemplary place. I do not know why everyone does not work here."

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great values and high integrity. High level of care for employees. Promotions and benefits cannot be matched by any other engineering company. The employees are top notch and very competent. Management is in tune with employees needs and shows a high level of care. The company is led by practice and has a very flat organization. The practice philosophy and focus is a big plus for the firm. The freedom of doing what you enjoy and continuing to grow within the firm is one of the main separators.

Cons

I cant think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great environment.

8. "I work with the best professionals in the business"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Getting to work everyday with professional, like minded colleagues who are all as driven for success as I am. Collaborating daily across the office, region and firm to help my partners be successful. Kimley-Horn has never failed to meet or exceed my expectations. Looking forward to retiring in 15+ years with a retirement package that will be unmatched in the industry. Culture is consistent across the firm. Strength in the diversity of the firm and it's one profit center. We work on some of the coolest projects with some of the best clients in Arizona.

Cons

Kimley-Horn attracts very talented and driven employees. Everyone strives to be as good or better than their peers. We expect the best out of ourselves and our staff and treat every project as if it was our own. While some weeks this is a 9-5 job, we do what we have to do to ensure our clients success.

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture promoted within which gives you the tools to choose your own career path and work on things you are passionate about.

Cons

It is an extra effort firm, so sometimes there are long hours, but it is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

10. "I've been here 14 years and love it!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at other engineering companies and Kimley-Horn is the best - great benefits, bonuses, career advancement, client interaction. The retirement benefits are amazing! Other consulting firms that I worked for early in my career had similar work environments, but without the perks. Plus I love the people I work with, we have a great team and everyone gets alone so well.

Cons

It's a consulting firm - so when there are deadlines you work extra hours to meet them. But I guess if you want to work 9-5 you should be a banker or work for the government. Kimley-Horn is a great place for motivated, self-starter types because they reward high achievers.