Kimley-Horn Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Steve Lefton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The bonus and profit sharing are exceptionally good" (in 36 reviews)

• "they have great benefits for employees" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "I'd like to see any successful consultant that has perfect work/life balance" (in 65 reviews)

• "This extra effort is embedded into the system which tracks your productivity and contributions to the firm" (in 36 reviews)

1. "Senior Planner"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

I've been impressed with the company and the tools they provide to help in your success. The level of support from the top down is exceptional. Great place to work.

Cons

Can't think of any downsides to the job or company.

2. "Amazing opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

KHA was my first job out of college and I had a great time there. I worked hard but was given many opportunities to get involved in so many different things, like projects with other teams, out-of-work networking events, out-of-town projects, and sales pitches. I have worked at great companies with higher salaries since leaving KHA, but I've never had the career growth opportunities that KHA provided.

Cons

Salaries are a bit low, but the benefits are tremendous. Sometimes the number of times you have to redo construction plans is frustrating, but that's just part of being an engineer working with great clients.

3. "Great company"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Benefits
    People
    Culture
    Management takes care of you

Cons

It’s what you make it

4. "Great Firm to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kimley-Horn has a very flat management structure. The firm is truly led by practice and supported by management. You have the flexibility to pursue your passions and achieve success. The goals are challenging, but almost all employees are driven and more than happy to assist so it creates a very supportive and energizing environment. The rewards are fantastic when you are successful.

Cons

The goals are challenging. If an employee is not driven, it may not be the right firm for them.

"Best Engineering Consultant Agency by Far"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee Owned, greatest shareholder is less that 5%. Huge Bonuses. Awesome Profit Sharing.

Cons

Depending on your practice or who you work for, the hours could be long. For example, a client might call you and have you run through a fire drill, now the whole staff has to work late all week to meet a new deadline. However, that's not a problem specific to Kimley-Horn. That's what you sign up for to be a successful consultant.

I'd like to see any successful consultant that has perfect work/life balance. There's an ebb and flow to it that's learned over time. Sometimes it's balanced, sometimes it's not. It could be worse for sure. Look at companies like Google or Facebook where their employee's sometimes run 80 hour work weeks for a year.

6. "Good"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Profit Sharing and bonuses

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Hard Work, Great Benefits"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

This company is top notch in regards to compensation and benefits compared to peers. The retirement and profit sharing contributions are unmatched in the engineering industry. You can become very wealthy if you stick it out to become a shareholder.

Cons

As a new hire and mid-level employee you are expected to work for every penny you earn, which often requires 120% total effort. You do not see the benefits in your salary, but are rewarded after a long year of hard work in year-end bonuses and profit sharing contributions. Expect to work late nights and weekends during deadline pushes.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the work of the younger and mid-level staff, this is where the bulk of the company's revenue earning production originates.

8. "Good, not Great"

Current Employee - Engineering Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great bonuses and people are awesome

Cons

Terrible work and life balance

"Expect more from employees. Experience better."

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst
    Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kimley-horn does well in keeping track of their employees billable hours.

Cons

Kimley-Horn extra effort culture takes a toll. Not only do I have to work a lot I also need to put extra effort on learning KH culture.

Advice to Management

Employees have lives outside of work. Extra effort to learn a culture that is only useful when working for the company.

10. "Not very clear on "expectations""

Former Employee - Civil EIT
    Former Employee - Civil EIT

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Lots of office gatherings and activities. Very friendly people. Lots of brown bag opportunities to learn about different disciplines.

Cons

Looooong hours. I was told in a meeting to "improve within a couple weeks" in order to be able to stay, but that is clearly impossible to do within a week or two. Not a lot of communication between PM and EIT. A lot of throwing info/data at you without actually "knowing" what you're doing.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals, achievements and expectations for new hires/graduate engineers.