Kimley-Horn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Kimley-Horn CEO Steve Lefton
Steve Lefton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The bonus and profit sharing are exceptionally good" (in 37 reviews)

• "they have great benefits for employees" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "I'd like to see any successful consultant that has perfect work/life balance" (in 65 reviews)

• "This extra effort is embedded into the system which tracks your productivity and contributions to the firm" (in 37 reviews)

1. "Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee-friendly, profitable business model, generous compensation packages that focus on rewording performance and contribute to the success of others, good health benefits, and a caring work environment.

Cons

No overtime pay is provided, and bonuses are paid out over an extended period of time in the year following the actual year of performance.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to accrue personal leave when they start employment, regardless of whether they start in the middle of the month or not.

2. "marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

perfect fit if you're looking for a fulfilling career, as opposed to a job, and a great place to grow your business skills

Cons

not a great place for people that need to have a "boss", or want to be a "boss"

Advice to Management

Call more of the internal training programs and frequent brown-bags, "business training" or "leadership training"

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall compensation including salary bonus and profit sharing are second to none. If your priority is money, this is your place. The professionalism of most staff is above industry average. There are great people at this firm. I made lifelong friends in my time there.

Cons

Kimley-Horn is not for everyone. All consultants work many many hours, but Kimley-Horn does it better than anyone else. They have some of the highest utilization rates in the industry. 120+% total effort weekly is encouraged. Kimley-Horn is an engineering firm. If you are not an engineer or like winning your own work, you likely won’t last. There is no appreciation for niche or support practices. Period. The ridiculous compensation, especially of senior staff, does not lead to mentoring or development of junior staff. No one is going to sacrifice the least for you when there’s so much money on the line.

Advice to Management

If you want to maintain the small company feel, refrain from managing everything from spreadsheets. They tell one side of the story. Stop trying so hard to diversify your personnel. If your workplace is true to its core purpose and values, this shouldn’t be an issue.

4. "Great Place"

Pros

Awesome work, Great Team effort

Cons

None really that come to mind

"Office Politics"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many resources within the company.

Cons

Too competitive internally.
    PMs are too aggressive with work .
    Poor work/life integration.

Advice to Management

Please make sure there is fair treatment between YPs and PMs. Even though KH describes itself as a "flat surface" company, there is known indicators of office politics/favoritism within the company.

6. "Amazing opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

KHA was my first job out of college and I had a great time there. I worked hard but was given many opportunities to get involved in so many different things, like projects with other teams, out-of-work networking events, out-of-town projects, and sales pitches. I have worked at great companies with higher salaries since leaving KHA, but I've never had the career growth opportunities that KHA provided.

Cons

Salaries are a bit low, but the benefits are tremendous. Sometimes the number of times you have to redo construction plans is frustrating, but that's just part of being an engineer working with great clients.

7. "Great company"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Benefits
    People
    Culture
    Management takes care of you

Cons

It’s what you make it

8. "Senior Planner"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

I've been impressed with the company and the tools they provide to help in your success. The level of support from the top down is exceptional. Great place to work.

Cons

Can't think of any downsides to the job or company.

9. "Great Firm to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kimley-Horn has a very flat management structure. The firm is truly led by practice and supported by management. You have the flexibility to pursue your passions and achieve success. The goals are challenging, but almost all employees are driven and more than happy to assist so it creates a very supportive and energizing environment. The rewards are fantastic when you are successful.

Cons

The goals are challenging. If an employee is not driven, it may not be the right firm for them.

"Best Engineering Consultant Agency by Far"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee Owned, greatest shareholder is less that 5%. Huge Bonuses. Awesome Profit Sharing.

Cons

Depending on your practice or who you work for, the hours could be long. For example, a client might call you and have you run through a fire drill, now the whole staff has to work late all week to meet a new deadline. However, that's not a problem specific to Kimley-Horn. That's what you sign up for to be a successful consultant.

I'd like to see any successful consultant that has perfect work/life balance. There's an ebb and flow to it that's learned over time. Sometimes it's balanced, sometimes it's not. It could be worse for sure. Look at companies like Google or Facebook where their employee's sometimes run 80 hour work weeks for a year.