KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 762 of over 858 reviews

4.0
Kimley-Horn CEO 	Steve Lefton
Steve Lefton

What people are saying about Kimley-Horn

Join the conversation on

Recruiters

1m

a

Recruiting Manager

My firm, Kimley-Horn, is expanding in the Pacific Northwest and we’re looking for a recruiter to lead and continue this expansion. We’re hoping this person has 5+ years of experience. We offer a competitive total comp package. If you contribute 4% to your 401K the firm gives 18%. Must sit on-site in our downtown Seattle office 4 days a week. Please DM me your info if you’d like to learn more!

7 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and 401K.(in 135 reviews)
  • "The people are great for an engineering firm(in 68 reviews)
  • "Bonus is great but not worth the amount of hours that go into it(in 41 reviews)
  • "The pay here is great because the company is privately owned and all profits are shared.(in 33 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and it feels like everyone is there to help you.(in 33 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Kimley-Horn and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place for to build a career

May 31, 2022 - Project Manager in Frisco, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get what you put in. This company is built for people who want to work hard and be rewarded for their efforts.

Cons

Culture can vary office to office and manager to manager.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Benefits, Expect to Work Hard

Jun 21, 2022 - Civil Analyst in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kimley-Horn has some of the best benefits and overall compensation package I've seen before. The 401(k) and bonus program are unmatched in the industry, and the health benefits are pretty standard. This is an excellent place for someone to quickly learn and progress through their career, as there are many opportunities for young engineers to step into roles often not given young engineers at other firms.

Cons

This is not a job for someone who wants to put in a basic 40-hour work week and coast through their career. The benefits are fantastic, but that also comes with an expected average 45 hour work week depending on the workload of the department. Management is usually flexible with schedules, but projects often require staying late at the office to meet deadlines.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Favorite Place I've Ever Worked

Apr 6, 2022 - Urban Planner in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Interesting and exciting types of projects - Office has a lot of young people and is over half women which is not super common for an engineering firm - Compensation is far more than anything I was offered in the public sector - Great work atmosphere and everyone works really well as a team - Flexibility with schedules - The company paid for my professional exam, fees, prep courses, etc. and is supportive of any additional training I feel is necessary for the work that we do I was hesitant to accept a job with Kimley-Horn based on what I had heard from other people about the long hours but that has not been an issue at all. I consistently work about 45 hours per week which I would expect as a consulting firm but I am more than compensated for my time. I am also extremely passionate about planning so most of the time it doesn't feel like work. I've had multiple jobs and internships in the public and private sector and this is my favorite place I've worked so far.

Cons

Honestly, it's hard to find a cons. The St. Pete office is a really great place to work, but I'm sure each office has it's own flavor/feel. I'd recommend anyone interviewing, or on the fence, take advantage of the time in the interview to ask about the office's culture and make sure you get a good vibe from the people you would be working with or for.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Grateful

Jun 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment with all of the support of an excellent corporation creates opportunities that cannot be found elsewhere. My colleagues are top notch.

Cons

Ensuring communication throughout the organization takes work. We are all very busy but work is more enjoyable when we also take the time to get to know one another.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Work for Career Motivated Individuals

Jun 7, 2022 - Land Development Civil Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great profit sharing if you stick around for 6 years. Optimistic work environment and great people to work with. The company will give you all the tools you need to be successful and will help you further your career. They also do a great job of trying to advance your technical skills.

Cons

Expect to work 46-50 hours a week as standard. The time you get off in the evening can frequently be unpredictable (making it sometimes difficult to have firm plans with friends after work). It is common for deadlines to require you to work late (7pm-ish). Occasionally it will be even later. Most people are out of the office by 2pm on Friday, so expect to work 40-44 hours between Mon-Thurs.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Patience is Key

Jun 5, 2022 - Civil Analyst in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who all share a common goal in getting projects done on time with quality deliverables. Great benefits. Half-Day Fridays. "One-Profit Center" means teams across the firm aren’t fighting over resources and greater mobility to shift employees to other teams and projects.

Cons

"Extra Effort" work culture. You will work more than 40 hours per week, even with half-day fridays. You need to work here for 6 years to become fully vested. 401k contributions dont kick in until you have 1 year work experience. 401k and profit sharing benefits dont hit your account until February of each year. "One-profit center" could have negative consequences that I cannot yet speak to with my level of experience.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great

Jun 26, 2022 - P-1 Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Retirement is massive and so helpful

Cons

time worked can be really inconsistent

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to have a CAREER

Jun 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, coworkers you love working with, high compensation, and more autonomy to do what you love and passionate about than you will find anywhere in the industry. This is a place where you are recognized for your contributions and rewarded accordingly.

Cons

This is not a 40 hour work week environment, but it also isn't a 55+ hour work week environment either. The company has a philosophy of extra effort and generally likes employees to average 44-46 hours per week over the course of the year.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Average civil consultancy

Jun 17, 2022 - Civil Analyst in Orange, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of work, can get into anything you express interest in doing because there is plenty of work to go around -Great support in pursuing PE licensure -fun office environment

Cons

-Expectation of 45-50 hour work week -poor work life balance and a culture that fosters workaholics -High utilization/billable goal -Resistant to change/ a bit conservative when it comes to integrating new technology/practices -Conservative energy extends to policies ex. required in person work throughout the pandemic BEFORE vaccinations were available, extremely strict when it comes to work from home/ only allowed as a one off due to qualifying excuses

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best place to be for the right person

Jun 13, 2022 - Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic culture, unlimited growth opportunities, autonomy over your career and trajectory. Flexibility with schedule. Top notch supervisors

Cons

Wish I would have found them sooner

Viewing 1 - 10 of 762 Reviews

Kimley-Horn Reviews FAQs

Kimley-Horn has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 858 reviews left anonymously by employees. 73% of employees would recommend working at Kimley-Horn to a friend and 87% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Kimley-Horn employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Kimley-Horn. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

73% of Kimley-Horn employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Kimley-Horn 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 4.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Kimley-Horn to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be management, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Kimley-Horn Job Seekers