Kimley-Horn Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2020

3.9
Kimley-Horn CEO 	Steve Lefton
Steve Lefton
Pros
  • "The retirement and profit sharing contributions are unmatched in the engineering industry(in 44 reviews)

• "Great company, great benefits no complaints(in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent place to grow a practice and a career"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture is amazing - it's hard to believe how much fun we have while still working pretty hard. The benefits are unmatched (they are really as good as advertised), the compensation is strong, and performance is rewarded. Everyone has an opportunity to share in the success of the firm. I also love the ownership structure - privately held and many hundreds of owners across the firm with no one person controlling more than a small percentage. You really feel like you are working for each other at "the Horn", and not for Wall Street or a few select owners. Working here at first requires a bit of faith and trust, but for smart, motivated people, it pays off in spades.

Cons

Working here requires some extra effort, but mostly it requires passion and energy.

Continue reading
  2. "The job is great if you don’t mind the overtime"

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture and people!

Cons

A lot is expected or you

3. "Amazing Place to Work that's Growing FAST"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Retirement contribution match is the best in the business. You're expected to work hard, but you get compensated for it and all of your colleagues work just as hard. It's a team effort. The number of employees and offices are growing very fast so it's a great time to become part of the team.

Cons

No cons in my first year

4. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Just plain awesome all the time. The people are great.

Cons

There aren't any downsides that come to mind.

5. "Best in the field of Civil Engineering Consulting!"

Former Employee - Engineer Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

benefits, company culture, people, unique project opportunities, training

Cons

long hours and high utilization

6. "N/A"

Former Employee - N/A in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly co-workers, access to a lot of resources, good pay and great incentives.

Cons

This isn’t a 40 hour job. You’re expected to give 115% to this company.

7. "A perfect place for the driven"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For those with a passion for what they do the rewards are endless. This is a place for you to truly be in the driver seat of your career.

Cons

With a big reward comes High Expectations which some folks struggle with. But i have worked in a couple offices and the team is always there to help.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Production Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a culture that is very employee oriented and they do whatever it takes to ensure that their employees are surrounded by a good environment and have what they need to succeed. They also have great benefits.

Cons

Can have long hours but a lot of times that is expected in the engineering field.

9. COVID-19

"Small company feel has vanished over past two years."

2.0

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k Match (8% to employee 4%) Profit sharing (10% of salary AND bonus) Bonus (varies, but best in industry) The best of the best work here

Cons

Long hours. Expect to work 46 hours on light weeks, 52+ on heavy weeks. This varies greatly depending on your team and discipline. I’d suggest asking for your entire future teams yearly hours worked during an interview before accepting an offer. This should be easy for HR to provide (public knowledge to all staff) and cuts out all the BS. You’ll be able to divide that number by 26 to get a true feel on the expectations for that team. 6 year vesting schedule. On top of that, you only see your contribution once a year (industry standard is every paycheck). You will not get a contribution for your first year here, meaning if you start working here at the beginning of a calendar year, you will not see a single penny of 401k match / profit sharing for 24 months. Our 401k & profit sharing are distributed on February 15th every year. 30% of our contributions (for the entire year) were wiped out in one month due to COVID-19. Management, consider giving employees their contribution bi-monthly to allow for true cost-basis investing. Low salaries. This is usually not an issue with a bonus & profit sharing, but all of that is possibly gone with COVID-19 impacts. If you calculate your true hourly rate (we are not paid OT), it is much much lower than industry standard. Bottom line. If you’re looking to identify your life as being a civil engineering consultant, this place is for you. You’ll make good money (in the long run). If you’re looking for flexibility and to have free time in your 20’s, look elsewhere. This isn’t 2009, even in this global pandemic there are plenty of opportunities.

Continue reading

"Great Experience, VERY Long Hours"

Former Employee - Land Development Civil Analyst

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits including an insane 401K match, great medical, good overall company culture, sizable bonus at the end of the year (even though bonuses are taxed at a higher rate and they do not cover what would've been straight-pay overtime)

Cons

Utilization rates are VERY important, and vacation time is not subtracted from the total hours you need to work to meet your UT goal. Essentially, if your UT is 96% and you take a week long vacation, you have to make up those 38.4 hours over the course of the year by working overtime without pay.

Found 412 reviews