Kimley-Horn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Kimley-Horn President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 200% 401k Match plus annual profit sharing contributions to you 401k (in 33 reviews)

• One profit center" model allows employees to collaborate across all offices with minimal friction (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Must work to keep good work/life balance (in 55 reviews)

• Extra effort is rewarded, however rewards are barely equivalent (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great opportunities for driven professionals"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Company's core purpose is to see its employees flourish and that is 100% true. The practice builder model allows project managers to pursue the work they are most passionate about. For those supporting these individuals, there is a similar entrepreneurial spirit... everyone has the opportunities to build their own 'practice' within the firm

Cons

People work hard here.. sometimes at the expense of work-life balance. It is an intense, fast-paced work environment, and that is not for everyone.

"Pretty OK"

Former Employee - Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many resources within the organization (people, training) to help you succeed. Company is always trying to do something nice or fun for its employees. 401K match is awesome! Very organized and established so you never feel confused about whats going on. The people are generally friendly. HR is really helpful and great to talk to if you're having problems or need advice.

Cons

They expect you to 'live to work'. Overtime hours and UT can be a drag on work/life balance. The company growth is kind of out-of-control. Hard to get a handle on where you stand before you move up, are replaced, and have to train noobies.

Advice to Management

Don't work the analysts so hard and they will stick around longer

3. "EXCELLENT COMPANY."

Current Employee - Practice Builder in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, culture, opportunities, benefits and compensation.

Cons

I set my own pace and I am very intentional of balancing my private and professional life. I don't complain about work life balance: I do something about it! I set time to attend my kid's activities and I am present for the big family events. I work very hard, and I like it, but I also enjoy my family every day.

4. "Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large, stable civil engineering firm

Cons

overloaded. not respected. management does not advocate for staff.

Advice to Management

listen to your staff when people are bringing the same issues to you, independent of each other. you're not going to keep quality coordinators if you protect some and hang others out to dry.

5. "Great place to work at"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Frisco, TX

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kimley-Horn provides awesome benefits for its employees.

Cons

I don't have any cons

6. "Excellent Benefits and work experience"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Gaining knowledge with lots of projects to work on. Friendly environment, lots of nice people, happy work life. Learn tons of software skills.

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent. Very often left feeling overworked, but at the same time feeling I didn't do enough.

Advice to Management

Too many high expectations and hurdles to receive financial compensation.

"Hello Kimley-Horn, goodbye life."

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth and technical development. Coworkers are generally motivated and dependable. Good place for people motivated by a holiday bonus.

Cons

Conservative work environment where the pressure to remain billable and to fit the Kimley-Horn mold is stifling and takes away from most of the fun aspects of working on projects and developing technical skills.

Working here means frequently giving up evening and weekend plans to hit high utilization goals. Employees at all levels seem to regularly be burned out. Project managers are often so busy that they don't have time for effective management, mentoring, continuing education, etc.

Advice to Management

Allow your people to be entrepreneurs and grow their practice the way that you promise during the recruitment process.
    Hire people with better management skills. Practitioners, especially those who use shame as a motivational method, don't always make the best office managers.

"real culture but real issues"

Former Employee - Support in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Support in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

good money, fun projects, good budgets, creative freedom

Cons

one unprofessional management committee member with a huge ego, very conservative founding partners

Advice to Management

do your thing

9. "I have been at KH 20+ years (EIT to Practice Builder) and we are very good to our employees."

Current Employee - Practice Builder in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with our wonderful. There is a family feeling here. We work hard to serve our clients, our number one goal. We are rewarded very well with our bonus program, employee ownership, retirement benefits and health benefits.

The projects my team works on serve multiple offices. With the one profit center KH has, it is a seamless process. We have a lot of very cool and varied projects.

Cons

In my time at KH I can honestly say that not every day has been a picnic! I can also say that 95% of the days have been great. I don't think you will find another engineering consulting firm you can say that about.

Advice to Management

The LIFT program is great, the internal training classes Fundamentals of Consulting and Practice and Consultant Training are essential to our teams. Continue to keep them current and up-to-date!

10. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Benefits are better than you can find elsewhere, especially straight out of school. The bonus and profit sharing are exceptionally good.

Cons

Their heavy dependance on the use of the UT (utilization) score is frustrating and overly one-sided.