Kimley-Horn Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Kimley-Horn President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 200% 401k Match plus annual profit sharing contributions to you 401k (in 33 reviews)

• One profit center" model allows employees to collaborate across all offices with minimal friction (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Must work to keep good work/life balance (in 55 reviews)

• Extra effort is rewarded, however rewards are barely equivalent (in 32 reviews)

1. "Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large, stable civil engineering firm

Cons

overloaded. not respected. management does not advocate for staff.

Advice to Management

listen to your staff when people are bringing the same issues to you, independent of each other. you're not going to keep quality coordinators if you protect some and hang others out to dry.

"Really not a great place to work - come on Fortune!"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

If you are fresh out of school, they will work you like a dog with no additional compensation. Of course, management touts "it's in the end of year bonuses" - but there are so many strings attached, you won't see any bonus until you have been there two years (if you make it that long!) You also have no control over how much bonus you receive. It's all decided at higher levels, so hope you can brown-nose your way to a good bonus.

Cons

No diversity what so ever. Our office was blindingly and uncomfortably white. I guess the diversity comes from the mix of Protestants and Catholics? If you are a young white male from a southern school, you will do well here. If you have ever worked in a company that actually reflected what society looks like, you will be shocked at lack of diversity and quite uncomfortable with the frequency of invites to bible study. Most non-white employees are in support roles.

Work- life balance is terrible, beyond what you would normally find in consulting. I was prepared to work extra hours, but it doesn't matter how much you give - you should always be doing more.

Your experience will also largely depend on which team you are on. My team was so chaotic and disorganized - every day was trying to put out a fire. During the recession, the company let go of too many staff members, and is now scrambling to try and back fill the positions.

The company also attempts to put forth a "team spirit" attitude, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Most managers are so worried about their fiefdoms, they will actively sabotage other managers. On more than one occasion, I saw quite a bit of back-biting.

I witnessed a manager on two occasions take her poor leadership out on her staff. Nothing was done about it - and the employee who complained to HR was fired.

HR spends more time on GlassDoor refuting reviews left than actually helping employees. Take that time and invest it in training for your managers.

Advice to Management

After working here, I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone - and I have actively discouraged people I know from applying because of the treatment I witnessed first hand. I would never give my best efforts to a company that actively stops employee advancement due to their own shortcomings as a manager/leader.

Stop relying on the Fortune survey to say you are a great employer - actually be one! That survey is such a joke - no one should be blinded by that. Like the reviews on here - there's a reason why all of a sudden a lot of current employees posted good reviews. There were so many bad reviews, the company sent out survey requests in an attempt to hide the negative with positive reviews.

I realize that working here will give folks Stockholm Syndrome, because they have not experienced working at other companies. I can assure you - it's much better elsewhere- there is no need to keep taking the abuse dished out by management and living in the culture of fear it creates.

If you are reading this review because you are going to an interview, really read through the ones that are listed as a negative experience. If you are desperate for a job, go right ahead - just don't say you weren't warned.

"Not what they appear to be"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits good. Bonus program better than most and generous retirement.

Cons

The firm is really disingenuous and does not quite follow whet they tell you during the recruiting process. There is a large generational gap and company does not have a lot of seasoned professionals. They have many people in upper management positions that only worked at Kimley-Horn and consequently don't know a lot or at least what one would expect from an upper level manager. Kimley-Horn's cult-like atmosphere can be a turn-off . They rely heavily on younger staff and put very high expectations of utilization , to the point where some of the staff stresses out about taking time off as it will affect their utilization, yet the management pontificates work-life balance- really! The engineering staff is not what one would call exceptional and not even the best or innovative.

Advice to Management

You need to heed the advice of staff that you have brought in from other firms . The Kimley-Horn way of doing things may not fit in all areas of the country, it needs change to fit the local landscape. Your managers appear to be very open, honest and approachable, but down deep inside you are like any other firm where making profit is most important. Spend more time to advance the skills of technical staff . I do not believe this is a good place to work.

Mar 14, 2017 – Team Member

Thank you for taking time to submit a review on Glassdoor. Feedback provides a way for us to see what we’re doing well and what we can improve.

We value being a transparent organization—from... More

"Engineering Analyst"

Former Employee - Engineering Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office Environment, decent starting salary

Cons

Lack of mentorship. Every man for himself mentality. Little opportunity for advancement. Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs.

"Project manager"

Pros

I really can't think of any pros. I suppose I did get to work with some good people that I'm still friends with since we bonded over the atrocious experience of working for KHA.

Cons

Everything. UT is the obvious one. Zero work-home balance possible. Saw several coworker's marriages end due to this. Complete sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Ratchet back the workaholic culture. Lower your billing rates, as a developer now I can honestly say you're not that much better than other consultants.

"Minorities Be Alert"

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst
    Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

The training resources are really good. Coworkers are generally good hearted people. The work forces you to grow yourself and gain a plethora of experience in a short period of time.

Cons

Definitely a predominantly majority workforce. I am a minority and the upper management supervisors have treated me like a subpar engineering intern even though I am a full-time employee. They have delegated more work to other employees including interns; have had several review meetings with me trying to justify keeping me hourly; and have flat out told bold faced lies about not having enough work to pass around to me. Definitely feel like I was hired to meet some quota as I am part of the 4 % of minorities in the entire office. Make sure before you accept an offer that you visit the office and see the demographics because this firm will not be straight up front with you and there motives. Hindsight is 20 20 but if you have a choice between this firm and others choose the others.

Advice to Management

There really is no advice because as evidence by the demographics this culture is not going to change. Eventually developers will start to want to see diversity in the team resumes as our culture evolves and this company will see a drastic downturn.

"Stay Away if you want a long term career"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will make a lot of money, especially if you are just coming out of school. If you are an engineer, you will be treated like gold. Lots of training, lots of culture events just for you and they are going to make you feel that you are very special

Cons

You have a less than 15% chance of making a career in this company. They are cold and cruel and you are just a number on a spreadsheet to them. If you don't have any marketing skills then you have no chance of making it here. If your job is not your life or your number one priority over friends and family, then please do not work here. You are better off taking a lower paying job that gives you a better life balance and a better long term career,

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally and with respect-You are very lacking in this area and your egos are getting in the way of you actually having a great company.

"Workaholic Atmosphere"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

1. There are many very nice, engaging, and intelligent people who work there.
    2. The work can be challenging and allow you to learn new things.
    3. There are interesting projects to work on.

Cons

1. Please look at the "Rating Trends" for this company. There was a huge spike in their rating, this was obviously due to management having employees write bogus good reviews to boost their percentage.
    2. Time off whether it is a holiday or vacation just means that you will have to work extra hours when you get back to make up for the work you missed. Another option is to take work with you on "vacation". Everyone talks about how when they take vacations they always take work with them.
    3. During a normal work week expect to work between 50-60 hours. While their normal work week minimum is 45 hours it is very rare that anyone works that little. Oh, and these hours of course do not include lunches, or 15 minute breaks because almost everyone works through lunch and never take breaks. If you wanted to take a lunch break there is no designated break area where you can go so the layout of the office facilitates this workaholic attitude.
    4. UT (basically your billable hours) is extremely important. So much so that people will not be willing to help you unless what they are working on is billable.
    5. This is not a place for people who want to have a family or a life outside of the office.
    6. There is no training for new staff. Everyone is too busy working to take time to train you on anything.

Advice to Management

I have heard management talk about wanting younger staff to not copy their workaholic lifestyle. However, this is what you model and it has been clearly shown that the only way to get ahead is to put in the same crazy hours. Senior staff with children often have a stay at home parent, rarely get to see their children, or are forced to work on a "reduced schedule" (which still means working 40+ hours a week to keep up with demand). Please stop modeling this cycle or you will have a lot of good staff burnout or dread going to work everyday.

Jul 7, 2015 – Team Member

We are sorry that you did not find Kimley-Horn a good fit. We are thrilled that more than 95% of our employees in a recent satisfaction survey reported that our firm is a great place to work, but we... More

"The Firm that Loves Workaholics and Very High Profit Margins."

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Join if you have the following qualities:
    1. Extremely low learning curves (training will apply to your "extra efforts" time sheet NOT your Utilization time sheet which is basically what you will live by in this company) (Utilization = How many hours of your time sheet can be billed, you should expect to be at a 98% pretty much all the time)
    2. Entrepreneur spirit and consistent income from ongoing projects (the moment income stops rolling in, the downward spiral will begin)
    3. Are a serious workaholic meaning having a tough time achieving a work/life balance.

All I can say is that analysts are usually very nice people and pay/benefits are great. Can't say the same from upper management.

Cons

1. Time off means having to make up those hours at some point to achieve the required UT goal.
    2. Clock out time is not at 5:30 pm, most of the time is way beyond that.
    3. Make sure that if you are entry level, ask for an extensive training program.
    4. You are not just an engineer, you are expected to be highly billable, very sociable to be put in front of the client, extremely efficient in your tasks, work comes before anything mentality. If you do not possess all these skills, be prepared to have a hard time.
    5. Bottom line is that your sole purpose in that company is to become a Practice Builder (Basically a Project Manager of your practice within the company).

Advice to Management

A place where people can flourish....................................hmmmmm doubtful.

Jul 7, 2015 – Team Member

Thank you for taking the time to review Kimley-Horn on Glassdoor. Our employees are passionate, hard-working, and committed to exceeding client expectations. While this can mean working extra hours... More

"PR program to make company look better"

Former Employee - Senior Professional
    Former Employee - Senior Professional

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Kimley Horn has recently gone through a company name change and is trying to change its image. Kimley Horn is good at making themselves look good, even in the face of the many negative to very negative comments here at glassdoor and on other web sites. Notice in particular the recent flood of glowing comments that have mysteriously all be sent to glassdoor in just the last few days. KH knows that many unsuspecting potential employees rely on glassdoor as a source for real information about a company. My friends still at KH have suggested that there is a quite internal program for employees, especially senior employees, to send in good comments to glassdoor to take advantage of glassdoor's excellent reputation for information. Read and decide for yourself.

Cons

Dishonesty and charging clients for work that was never done. Efforts and pressure to enlist professional employees to engage in similar practices as a condition of continued employment.

Advice to Management

They know.

Jun 26, 2014 – Team Member

Kimley-Horn has not changed its name in nearly 50 years in business. We recently updated our logo to more accurately reflect the way our clients see us. This was the result of a 2013 study, where... More