Kimley-Horn Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 21, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kimley-Horn President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • Year-end profit sharing and up to 20% 401k benefits are second to none (in 32 reviews)

• One profit center" model allows employees to collaborate across all offices with minimal friction (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are expected to work 115%, so work life balance is somewhat of a myth at this firm (in 46 reviews)

• Not really a con for a business professional, but KHA is an extra effort firm so expect to put in (in 31 reviews)

1. "Not Sure About This Place"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation, 401K and profit sharing, extensive training for younger staff, and majority of project managers are leaders in their field. The corporate structure has a great focus on transition and making sure that future senior leaders are lined up before those in current leadership positions retire.

Cons

Long hours and challenges with work/life balance. While I agree that work/life balance is in an employee's control, it is often impossible to achieve this due to high billable time goals and an internal company policy of including "paid time off" as part an employee's total yearly hours worked. Essentially, if an employee wants to take any time off, even if it is for an illness, that employee will have to "make-up" that time and work extra hours just so that they can meet their billable time goal for the year.

Minimal career advancement if you are not an engineer or more of a technical/project manager (versus someone who does marketing and actively brings in projects).

Advice to Management

The company has huge potential to be forward thinking, but I often feel like I am just a Utilization Goal number to those in charge. Consider removing PTO time from an employee's total yearly hours worked, so that we can truly take "time-off" from the often long hours and high stress projects. Honestly, PTO is not really a benefit that the company is paying since as employees we have to return from our sick leave or vacations and work extra hours to make up for that time. It's demoralizing and for me at least, I'd rather have extra time with my family and have an opportunity to not be so stressed out, than a bonus check at the end of the year.

Recognize and reward your employees who may not be superstar "Emerging Practice Builders" but who work just as hard as technical experts and project managers. We do the majority of the work, delegate project tasks to younger staff, and are often ignored or passed up for promotions and re-classes because we "don't bring in the big bucks." We may like to work more in the background, but we make sure that the wheels still keep turning on projects and often take the time to mentor and teach younger staff.

"Great Compensation for Long, Stressful Hours"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Relatively high salary rate, relatively young employee base, Fortune Best Companies to Work For, Monetary and gift bonuses throughout the year, seemingly high number of paid time off

Cons

High turnover rate, White Male dominant company = lack of gender and racial diversity, long work hours can be expected to log 46-60+ hours per week, minimal initial training

Advice to Management

Increase female and ethnic diversity, pay attention to indirect sexual harrassment, discourage employees from working more than the required 46 hours per week

Kimley-Horn Response

Jan 16, 2017 – Team Member

We view GlassDoor feedback as an opportunity to look for areas of possible improvement in our firm. Several of the topics raised here have been areas of focus over recent years. We believe that the ... More

"Pro's & Con's"

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Accelerated Career Growth
    -Family-style Work Environment
    -Young Professional Networking Group

Cons

-Lack of Recognition/Value
    -Long Hours (not compensated)
    -Poor Upper Level Leadership

Advice to Management

-Focus on long term sustainable growth among young professionals. Bridge the generation gap with effective leadership and implement new techniques to better balance the importance of what is being produced and who is producing (improve retention by giving value and incentive to those who produce work for clients).

"Long term rewards at the sacrifice of current diminishing returns"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company will give you opportunities to grow, competitive compensation, and profit sharing benefits.

Cons

Profit sharing requires 7 long hard worked years to have full vesting.
    Consistent 50-60 hour weeks.
    Lacks diversity.

Advice to Management

be more straight forward with extra effort information. "115%" is not the true expected effort. Consider a more balanced vesting format to balance turn over.

6. "Senior Software Engineer"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Decent salary, bonus and profit sharing.

Cons

Expected to work a minimum or 115%. It will be much more.

7. "Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of opportunities

Cons

Long hours, but that's the nature of consulting.

Advice to Management

I've had nothing but a positive experience. Thankful to be part of this company.

"Engineering Analyst"

Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

-Good compensation in a variety of forms
    -Good people across the practices
    -Diversified practices

Cons

-Very High UT goals or number of billable hours goals. Lack of work life balance
    -Billable work is not always available so it easy to fall behind
    -For analysts UT seems to be the only metric cared about and other contributions seemingly regarded of little value
    -Profits above people

"Good, stable, ethical company... difficult work/life balance"

Pros

Great benefits and outstanding pay for industry standards. Ethical company with a solid purpose and core values. Flush with many resources to ensure that their people thrive if they want to. Very helpful and friendly people to work with. Good travel opportunities.

Cons

The great benefits/pay often come with a price: your work/life balance. The push for its employees to remain billable and hit UT goals allows KHA to offer such good benefits. For me, this became too much and it was ultimately what drove my decision to leave, despite the positives KHA has going for it.

There's often not enough work to go around despite the push for billable hours. This becomes very stressful- especially at the end of the calendar year if you're close to your UT goal.

Advice to Management

Consider the work/life balance. I would have preferred to give extra effort on my own terms. If a certain percentage over 100% is expected to be given by production employees, then it almost feels like I should have been working even more than what was expected to *truly* be giving more than what is expected (a true "extra effort").

"Good company for hard workers"

Pros

Always there to support you. Extremely generous with bonus and 401k contributions.

Cons

Very long hours. Work life balance is hard. Also, a dry company so although happy hours can be found at some offices, work functions will not have alcohol.

Advice to Management

Goals are good to strive for but be careful that you don't end up pushing people too hard.

"It's alright I guess"

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst
    Current Employee - Civil Engineering Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with very smart and driven individuals. Kimley Horn does have a lot of talent and offer very competitive long term benefits (like 401k matches) to employees.

Cons

The focus on biliability is very difficult to achieve with a healthy work-life balance. Company culture strongly encourages extra effort, about 5-10 hours a week on average.

Advice to Management

Entry and mid-level employees will burn out quickly with the workload expected of them.