Kimley-Horn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kimley-Horn President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • 200% 401k Match plus annual profit sharing contributions to you 401k (in 33 reviews)

• One profit center" model allows employees to collaborate across all offices with minimal friction (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Must work to keep good work/life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Extra effort is rewarded, however rewards are barely equivalent (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great opportunities for driven professionals"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Company's core purpose is to see its employees flourish and that is 100% true. The practice builder model allows project managers to pursue the work they are most passionate about. For those supporting these individuals, there is a similar entrepreneurial spirit... everyone has the opportunities to build their own 'practice' within the firm

Cons

People work hard here.. sometimes at the expense of work-life balance. It is an intense, fast-paced work environment, and that is not for everyone.

"An outstanding environment, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

The pay and benefits are outstanding and the culture is great. It is a growth environment and you will have responsibility early as a professional.
    Pros:
    Great pay and benefits
    Good culture
    Very open management. You will know where the firm stands at all times
    Senior management is concerned about work/life balance and has made improvements in the recent past.
    The retirement plan is head and shoulders above any other engineering firm. Work seven years and you will be in very good shape for retirement later on.
    Team-oriented, one profit center approach gives it the sense of working at a small firm

Cons

Utilization is king and "extra effort" is important. Expect to work 45 to 50 hours per week on average. It is not for everyone. The upside is you are rewarded for the hard work, but still...it's a lot of hours.

Advice to Management

Your doing great. Keep working on finding a work/life balance for employees and staying profitable.

"Great Opportunities for the RIght People"

Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

KHA has the mindset of rewarding those that perform. The company is run as a business that provides professional services. Because of the business based approach, the benefits KHA provides are outstanding and beyond what most of this industry provides. KHA looks out for the long term financial stability of its employees. They match the 401K at 4% and add profit sharing on top of the match. The KHA retirement program allows all employees to enter retirement with a great nest egg. Advancement is quick for those that perform. KHA rewards the performers with great promotions, bonuses, and advancements. Overall, a great place to work if you want to work.

Cons

KHA is not for everyone. KHA is an "extra effort" firm. It is expected that you put in the effort that is required to meet the high expectations of clients. Sometimes this means that you will need to work 40 hours in a week when things are running at a normal pace and sometimes you will need to work more when a client deadline is approaching. If you desire a steady 40hr/week job then KHA is not for you. If you want to be rewarded for being exceptional, KHA is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to be willing to make exceptions to the promotion "policies" for the exceptional employees that should advance quickly.

"High Quality People and Ability to Chart Your own Course"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have the opportunity to see the way that some of our competitors operate as well as the firm I was with before KHA and I constantly count my blessings at the quality of the people here. In addition, there's much more of an atmosphere of open dialogue here than I see elsewhere. Senior people are encouraged to develop their staff and then treat them like partners rather than subordinates.

Some of the other reviews on here talk about the emphasis on utilization or the amount of time people are expected to work. I talk to peers in other firms and they work as many or more hours than what I and many others at KHA do. At my old firm, the younger folks were never aware of UT but that didn't mean that it wasn't important nor that they had goals that they needed to be making in order for the firm to make money. In addition, what you see at many firms is a mix of people who put in extra effort when needed and others who are pretty much punching the clock. Here, due to the quality of the people and the fact that we don't hide the UT issue, the load is more evenly spread we don't have that imbalance.

Finally, I can't say enough about the benefits. Yes, bonuses are wonderful, but so is the retirement program. The firm puts so much money into the 401k, that it not only is insuring that my wife and I will be in good shape whenever I retire, but it's meant that I don’t have to take as much out of my paycheck each month to contribute as I would have at almost any other firm.

Cons

KHA has a good corporate philosophy that minimizes management and focuses on rewarding and growing staff. The challenge as a firm grows and has multiple locations, with new mid-and-senior folks coming in is that it can be difficult to make sure that the philosophy gets consistently implemented. In reading some of the reviews on here, some of the specific comments or examples cited where 180 degreed from what I've experienced or from what would be considered acceptable by the firm. We don't have a top-down management approach and we allow our Practice Builders a lot of freedom which is a big positive. That same freedom however, can be problematic if you have a Practice Builder who isn't 100% bought in or following the firm's philosophy. That can sometimes sour the experience for those working with him and they can view his philosophy or approach as that of the firm's.

Advice to Management

As noted above, the firm needs to find a way to merge the openness and freedom with making sure that we understand when we have PM's or PB's who aren't providing a KHA experience for their staff. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does it can create a negative experience.

"Fantastic Company for a college grad"

Current Employee - Transportation Analyst
    Current Employee - Transportation Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been very satisfied with KHA. They are very willing to support students right out of school to integrate into the team quickly and always willing to teach new things and give more responsibility. The benefits are very good; the 401k plan matches 4% like everyone else, but they also do profit sharing which can be as much as 16% of your salary. On top of that you get an annual bonus, plus a mid year cost of living bonus! This company is going to take care of you, but you do have to work hard as well.,,,give to the company and it will give back.

Also, for young people the leadership opportunities are endless if you show an interest in it. I am so happy I choose Kimley-Horn!

Cons

You are going to spend a lot of late nights and a lot of emphasis put on "UT" which is utilization...percent of time you are billable to a client. If you have a family it can be tough to balance your work and home life, but its certainly possible.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the employee recognition through profit sharing bonus programs!

"I wish I joined Kimley-Horn sooner!"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

The people at Kimley-Horn are wonderful. Senior management is receptive and transparent; I've always felt like part of the big picture. It also has a rich and motivating culture.

Cons

It will take some time to "move up" here as it aims to be a flat organization. However, you are recognized and rewarded in other ways.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees across the company and be open to new ideas and business practices. Please continue to focus on the great culture!

8. "Great focus on work life balance. Wonderful atmosphere. Nicest people."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

Great management & benefits! A committee of fun plans monthly outings! Pretty young office. Wins proposals often.

Cons

Proposals can be stressful so have a good attitude and be prepared to do everything it takes to get one out the door on time.

9. "I have been given more support in my personal career growth than I could have asked for."

Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Reston, VA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employee evaluation process is very transparent. As close to a meritocracy as you can reasonably expect. A very collaborative environment. Employee ownership model ensures the probability of being sold to a conglomerate and losing the culture is very small. People work hard and take pride in their work. "One profit center" model allows employees to collaborate across all offices with minimal friction. I have developed great working relationships with colleagues across the country. Success is celebrated. Excellent benefits, including annual bonuses and profit sharing. The company is consistently profitable. The business is well managed.

Cons

Practice-led culture leads to a lot of freedom, but sometimes a frustrating lack of direction from management. Long work hours are expected. Employee evaluation process is rigorous and clear, but doesn't accommodate all employees as well as it should, i.e., those who don't "fit the mold," though I've seen definite improvements in recent years.

Advice to Management

Keep working to find ways to reward and accommodate employees who don't fit the mold but who have strengths the company needs to succeed.

10. "Most talented people and best business model in the consulting world!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started at Kimley-Horn out of school and expected to jump companies to get ahead. There was no need to because I found all the mentoring and growth opportunities I could ask for here. And unlike most companies, the profits are distributed to all employees instead of making the few owners really rich. I work hard because I love what I do and the people I work with - it is just nice that I get paid really well too!

Cons

If you're looking to clock in at 9 and clock out at 4, this isn't the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture that makes this place great!

11. "A Career Path Well Worth Taking"

Current Employee - Senior Landscape Architect in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Landscape Architect in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a very entrepreneurial company in which you can define and develop your own career path. You can choose the clients you want to pursue and serve as long as it's within the firm's culture, philosophy and services offered. A wealth of internal resources and great marketing and admin support. The perks are very much superior to other similar firms.

Cons

Performance expectations are extreme - design ideals and creativity are often compromised for the sake of profitability. Expectations are sometimes too easy generalized across all disciplines and job positions. Not everyone is capable of becoming a practice builder, but can be a tremendous contributor. Those metrics are non-existent and often overlooked.

Advice to Management

change the nature of the career development review form - it's way too impersonal, and figure out a way to recognize people for their contributions that aren't always reflected in the numbers.