Kimley-Horn Reviews | Glassdoor

Kimley-Horn Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 200% 401k Match plus annual profit sharing contributions to you 401k (in 33 reviews)

• One profit center" model allows employees to collaborate across all offices with minimal friction (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Virtually every "cons" section here mentions the poor work/life balance (in 58 reviews)

• Kimley Horn expects extra effort (in 34 reviews)

"Really not a great place to work - come on Fortune!"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

If you are fresh out of school, they will work you like a dog with no additional compensation. Of course, management touts "it's in the end of year bonuses" - but there are so many strings attached, you won't see any bonus until you have been there two years (if you make it that long!) You also have no control over how much bonus you receive. It's all decided at higher levels, so hope you can brown-nose your way to a good bonus.

Cons

No diversity what so ever. Our office was blindingly and uncomfortably white. I guess the diversity comes from the mix of Protestants and Catholics? If you are a young white male from a southern school, you will do well here. If you have ever worked in a company that actually reflected what society looks like, you will be shocked at lack of diversity and quite uncomfortable with the frequency of invites to bible study. Most non-white employees are in support roles.

Work- life balance is terrible, beyond what you would normally find in consulting. I was prepared to work extra hours, but it doesn't matter how much you give - you should always be doing more.

Your experience will also largely depend on which team you are on. My team was so chaotic and disorganized - every day was trying to put out a fire. During the recession, the company let go of too many staff members, and is now scrambling to try and back fill the positions.

The company also attempts to put forth a "team spirit" attitude, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Most managers are so worried about their fiefdoms, they will actively sabotage other managers. On more than one occasion, I saw quite a bit of back-biting.

I witnessed a manager on two occasions take her poor leadership out on her staff. Nothing was done about it - and the employee who complained to HR was fired.

HR spends more time on GlassDoor refuting reviews left than actually helping employees. Take that time and invest it in training for your managers.

Advice to Management

After working here, I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone - and I have actively discouraged people I know from applying because of the treatment I witnessed first hand. I would never give my best efforts to a company that actively stops employee advancement due to their own shortcomings as a manager/leader.

Stop relying on the Fortune survey to say you are a great employer - actually be one! That survey is such a joke - no one should be blinded by that. Like the reviews on here - there's a reason why all of a sudden a lot of current employees posted good reviews. There were so many bad reviews, the company sent out survey requests in an attempt to hide the negative with positive reviews.

I realize that working here will give folks Stockholm Syndrome, because they have not experienced working at other companies. I can assure you - it's much better elsewhere- there is no need to keep taking the abuse dished out by management and living in the culture of fear it creates.

If you are reading this review because you are going to an interview, really read through the ones that are listed as a negative experience. If you are desperate for a job, go right ahead - just don't say you weren't warned.

2. "Best Place to Grow for a Young Professional"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time

Pros

A great place for challenging, varied, and rewarding work.

Cons

This is not a great place for people who need titles or are uncomfortable in a flat working structure.

3. "Great place to sprint"

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company rewards results and you have to have your A-game but great people overall. Very competitive environment - not inherently good or bad, just strong focus.

Cons

You are on the throttle all the time...5 years is equivalent to 10 years. Great to gain lots of experience in a short time.

"Understand what your signing up for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, Hard working professionals

Cons

Poor health coverage, virtually no work-life balance, slow advancement

Advice to Management

Take time to understand your employees, select better insurance options, support a better work-life balance

"Not what they seem"

Former Employee - Civil Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Civil Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for young staff to grow their career. The flat structure provides an environment where you can feel comfortable talking to anyone for advice or engineering help.

Cons

It's typical that people work late nights and one or two weekends per month. Big projects outside the scope or experience of a young professional constantly is sold to them as an opportunity without any financial compensation. Since growth and development happen quickly, mid level project managers don't have the experience or training to lead a team. This adds stress and longs work hours to even the smallest projects. Many young professional don't bill all their time, thus having to make up time (for free) throughout the year. Many people feel they can't take vacation because it's unbillable. I would not recommend Kimley-Horn (CA offices) to friends as a place to work.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you treat your clients. Listen to employees when they have concerns and follow through with appropriate actions. Shifting people out of the office for work when their is a dispute is not professional solution. The recruiters aren't doing an adequate job with explaining expectations of the firm to potential new hires. People aren't numbers.

Kimley-Horn Response

Mar 20, 2017 – Team Member

Thank you for taking time to submit a review on Glassdoor. Feedback provides a way for us to see what we’re doing well and what we can improve.

We value being a transparent organization—and we... More

"Best engineering job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely talented and professional staff, flexible procedures, freedom to build thriving practices, large support (technical expertise and just raw manpower), efficient infrastructure, and large rewards in multiple forms. Also, 1/2 day Fridays. Very rewarding - all around.

Cons

Not the best fit if 46 hours per week is a problem for you. Some work more, but are rewarded well for the added effort. I have yet to work 40 hrs at ANY engineering firm, but KHA is honest and upfront about the expectation.

Advice to Management

Don't interrupt this culture and business model. Keep building and investing in the next generation of KHA engineers!

"Meh"

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, pay, and bonus program

Cons

Complete lack of diversity, most of the people come from upper class white familes. If you look up diversity and kimley horn they are somehow on a fortune list for firmwide diversity. But this is really misleading , all of the south Florida offices are predominantly Hispanic which skews the firm wide statistics. This leads to most offices being predominantly conservative white males.

Long hours where vacation and sick time doesn't really exist. Any time off has to be worked later in the year to make up for it. The 45 hours a week is a myth most people work way more than that . Work life balance doesn't exist. The firm is obsessed with UT which is the percentage of time you are billable to a project. To the point where if a hurricane is potentially heading towards your office and you have to miss work because the office is closed, your UT percentage will take a hit and you will have to make up those hours after in order to meet your UT goal for the year. (Seriously? What control do employees have of natural disasters and why should they have to work more hours because of this?) This actually happened with hurricane Matthew last year.

They like to brag about how the firm is a fortune top company to work for. What they don't tell you is that employees are given gifts every time the firm makes the list. Essentially they bribe employees to give a good review.

Just like any other firm this big you kissing a lot of butt to rise up the ranks but since the firm is full of overachieving suck ups there will be a lot of competition.

If you're somewhat of an introvert like it seems a lot of engineers are this is definitely not the place for you. There are constant office parties and events during and after office hours. This could also be a pro depending on your personality.

Advice to Management

Bring in some minorities of different backgrounds many people here are narrow minded and have a obviously dismissive attitude towards anything and anyone different. Give people actually vacation and sick time.

Kimley-Horn Response

Apr 3, 2017 – Team Member

Thank you for your review. We would like to correct a few points:

1. It’s true that civil engineering is not as diverse as some fields. Thankfully, that is improving, and Kimley-Horn is... More

8. "Great atmosphere with many opportunities to succeed!"

Current Employee - Civil Designer in Lutz, FL
    Current Employee - Civil Designer in Lutz, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees at Kimley-Horn are great to work with from upper management to the production and assistant staff. I feel like others are always willing to help with production needs and even help me grow in my career. The sky's the limit is the value I try and bring everyday coming to work and I have no issue believing it truly with how Kimley-Horn operates!

Cons

There isn't much that I can say as a con for Kimley-Horn. The things I can think of doesn't involve Kimley-Horn like a tuff drive to work........
    With the help Kimley-Horn provides I hardly think about it.

Advice to Management

Keep the fun, friendly atmosphere growing at Kimley-Horn.

"What do I put here?"

Current Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer-In-Training in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are top notch at this firm. You can't beat the 401k match and profit sharing that Kimley-Horn has.

Cons

Employees are expected to work 115%, so work life balance is somewhat of a myth at this firm.

Advice to Management

None.

"Great place for the young professional"

Pros

Great place to work, especially as a young professional. The people were amazing, the leadership was excellent, and the opportunities were endless. If you're willing to work really hard and continue to challenge yourself in the workplace, KH is the place to be.

Cons

The billable time requirements are tough. They reward you really well for meeting it, but its a constant stress to ensure you are doing so. People constantly working weekends and late nights all throughout the year. I felt bad for the people with young kids.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work