Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

DeFrino
Mike
DeFrino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lot of flexibility, very open with diversity, great work environment" (in 26 reviews)

• "Promote from within mentality, experienced management, great benefits" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance can be hard to achieve" (in 13 reviews)

• "Can have long hours at times, but over all always worked with great people" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'd leave hospitality before I left Kimpton"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment, great co workers and a place that you feel like you make a difference. I previously worked for Starwood and didn't make a single decision, just executing decisions made by senior level managers. In Kimpton you get a chance to give input and contribute, which delivers much higher buy in from employees. Also extremely progressive and community engaged, which makes the employees very proud to be there.

Cons

N / A - A bad day here is better than a great day at one of the big brands.

Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Response

Dec 20, 2017 – Your Friends at Kimpton

Congrats, 10 years is a huge milestone! Sounds like you’ve had a tried and true Kimpton experience. Thank you for sharing the Kimpton love!

2. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

More relaxed atmosphere than traditional hotel companies. Open to be who you are and whole life balance. Challenged to be creative, self-leader and continuously improving.

Cons

Less structured environment not a fit for everyone. Can lead to unorganized communication/planning at times. Pay can be below average depending on position.

Advice to Management

Competitive pay. 100% 401k match (up to 6%).

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Kimpton truly cares about its employees. They go above and beyond to make you feel like you part of the family. They promote from within and give great opportunity to grow.

Cons

What can I say there are not many.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dont think twice. This is the best hotel company to work for.

Cons

Sold to IHG, hoping they dont kill culture.

Advice to Management

Stay true to bill Kimptons values.

5. "Not a bad place to work"

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Boss was one of the best bosses I ever had--really nice guy who genuinely cared about his employees.

Getting time off was easy. Also, the schedule was generally the same every week so it made it easy to plan your life outside of work.

Cons

You're working in the hospitality business so of course everything has to be perfect, but that is to be expected.

6. "alright"

Current Employee - Night Auditor
    Current Employee - Night Auditor

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time

Pros

great people, openminded, professional work place without being stuffy

Cons

the lack of strong leadership especially in management, and overall just kind of all over the place. Lacking in overall communication throughout hotel

Advice to Management

people will care more when they feel compensated. Upper management is paid well, where as it seems they try to slack when it comes to the lower management employees.

7. "Server"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Great teamwork. training, customer experience

Cons

not exactly a con but so geared towards client experiences that they comp etc for rude guests etc to try to make them happy

8. "Excellent company, poor management at individual properties"

Former Employee - Server in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Goleta, CA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a corporation, Kimpton values the individual and strives to ensure the happiness of its employees. Management frequently reminded us that Kimpton was ranked by Fortune as one of the top 10 companies to work for, and in my first few months of enjoying the comprehensive employment benefits, relaxed business culture, and celebration of individuality, I realized this title was deservedly earned.

Cons

However, perhaps as an unintended consequence of encouraging a relatively informal work environment, my coworkers and I experienced rampant harassment from both other employees as well as from management who didn't feel the need to censor their speech or behavior while at work. One coworker experienced severe sexual harassment at the hands of a manager, and it was months before her complaints were heard, and even longer before action was taken. I was frequently berated, abused, and taunted by a manager, and when I aired my concerns to other members of the management team, my claims were ignored, and the the harassment actually increased on the part of the original manager and the one to whom I complained. It seemed to facilitate a "bro culture" where management felt they could make whatever jokes they wanted, speak as disrespectfully as they wanted, and behave as inappropriately as they wanted, without fear of reprisal, as they could justify these actions as part of Kimpton's desire to create a lax and comfortable workspace. For only two months out of my year and a half of employment did my property have a human resources representative on staff, and since the other managers seemed to endorse the harassment I was enduring, I felt I had no recourse to try to establish a less hostile work environment. By the time I left Kimpton, I had developed severe anxiety, and as dramatic as it may sound, I still have nightmares from my time working for them, not derived from stressful situations with patrons, but solely from interactions with management. Again, I must reiterate that these problems seemed to be unique to the specific Kimpton hotel I worked at, and most likely do not represent the experience of employees across all of Kimpton's properties.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Realize that your position of power, however marginal, comes with a responsibility to think carefully about your words and actions, as they have a direct impact on the lives of your employees. Just because you may feel comfortable talking or behaving a certain way does not mean that others will, and it especially doesn't mean those kinds of behavior are welcome in the workplace. Recognize when your employees are uncomfortable and try to remedy the situation rather than dismiss the complaints as someone being too "sensitive" or not being able to "take a joke".

9. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Ma in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - General Ma in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very people oriented. Focused on inside-out approach starting with employees. Very approachable and kind senior leadership who "get it" .
    Best CULTURE in the industry.

Cons

No cons that I can see right now.

10. "Housekeeping Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best place I’ve ever worked at. I help open the Nashville Aertson. The staff is phenomenal and they are truly like family. I miss this place so much

Cons

Long hours but the challenge was sooo worth it!!

Advice to Management

Stay unique keep pushing for #1 guys you can do it!!!