Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"9 years and counting"

Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In my interview with my first GM, I remember him saying to me, "If you're ready for a career this is the job/company for you." 9 years later I still believe that. I have stuck around not because of the benefits and family atmosphere, but because of how each leader I've worked with has invested in me. They've allowed me to find my way as a leader and jumped in when I've needed support.

Cons

I don't have anything for this section :)

Advice to Management

Never let go of the culture that has been the cornerstone of the company since the beginning. It is the glue that holds everything else together.

2. "Great Company with Great Culture"

Current Employee - Vice President, Finance in Cooper City, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President, Finance in Cooper City, FL

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse team and individual contributions are expected. Must be able to think on your feet and come to the table with solutions. Everyone has a voice.

Cons

We don’t have an ‘SOP Binder’, not that this is a con... If you can’t think like an entrepreneur, it may prove hard to succeed.

3. "Warm Welcome"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been with this company for a short time, but in that time I can confidently say that it has been the warmest welcome. The company cares for their employees whether you have been here 30 years or 2 months. The effort put into training and understanding sets the tone for a long term career.

Cons

If I had one small item to pick on it would be health care. Not that I find the employees cost to be expensive per pay period, however in this city, within hospitality companies, I find that their offerings in compassion to others are not as robust in long term savings or costs to the employee.

4. "NA"

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Company fosters opportunity for rapid advancement.

Cons

Needs to evaluate staffing level.

5. "Kimpton Hotel"

Former Employee - Pool Server in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Pool Server in Miami, FL

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants (Less than a year)

Pros

Incentives, benefits, retirement, health insurance, paid time off.

Cons

No raises, no advancement in career.

6. "Night Time Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Fun
    2. Can sit and do whatever you want
    3. Good pay
    4. Great benefits

Cons

1. Have to clean bathrooms
    2. Hotel needs more upkeep

7. "Work for Kimpton"

Pros

Truly care about their employees, I loved working for Kimpton. Great benefits, PTO and lots of flexibility to move around

Cons

Smaller properties make it harder to move around, but it's definitely still there if you look hard enough. Normal hospitality job, so weekends holidays etc

Advice to Management

Spend more time with entry level employees. If you inspire them they will go far with you

8. "Working at my Dream Job - Hotel Marlowe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Very strong with communication, Inclusive, progressive, fun and smart

Cons

none yet! It's all about conversation and feedback. And when taken in it's proper context (which I believe it is) we get stronger.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, Kimpton is a fabulous brand and I am proud to be a member of the team

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire good people to work with who care about the place. They promote internally if the skills and attributes are there. I personally know I have the best supervisors/bosses. They try to make sure we are happy by buying us food, sometimes drinks, and going on outings. The culture caring and being involved makes me happy.

Cons

There are inefficiencies that keep some people from going up the workforce ladder. Departments don't know sometimes who is supposed to take care of a certain duty.

Advice to Management

Make sure to give us the resources, or time to complete our tasks. Please hire more people if you see your employees struggling to keep up.

10. "A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants part-time

Pros

-Autonomy, not too much breathing down our necks and enforcing arbitrary rules
    -Flexible environment, you can move around between departments or properties, if you like. Great if you are just starting out in your career and want to explore the country.
    -In a more conservative culture like that of Utah, it's great to be in an environment supportive of people's personal expression and individuality (don't have to cover tattoos, dye hair to "natural" colors, LGBTQ friendly)
    -Mostly nice co-workers

Cons

-Young, inexperienced management is probably the biggest drawback. There's almost nobody over 35 in upper management at this property - could it be the pay??

-Palpable though subtle sense of us vs. them. Management can give you the "professional smile" treatment and be cordial enough, or there are others who treat you like you must be stupid/soft if you are in a service role. Newsflash: we are all in the service industry! Would be nice to feel treated like an equal, not like a peon just because some of us wear uniforms and some of us get to choose our outfits. A lot of us are just running around like crazy so much of the time there's not much time to take notice and support everyone's goals. Running on a skeleton staff, as another reviewer put it, places everyone in sprint mode most of the time.

-You generally have to pipe up to be considered for roles where you'd "climb the ladder."

-performance Review time is weak and generally meaningless. Any chance of a raise? Not even discussed, and not likely.

-Career advancement and opportunities elsewhere? Not a lot of advertising of this; you really have to keep your eyes open and hope the info is current or reaches you on time.

Not a lot of upward movement possible at a small property, as management roles are limited in number by nature, so if you like where you live and want to stay, you may end up waiting around a long time for the right role to open up, or expect to move or move on.

Advice to Management

Treat your supervisees like capable, intelligent adults. Learn how to empower, not undermine because you're green and are trying to "act like a manager" by nitpicking trivial things. Listen to your supervisees instead! Kimpton is supposedly supportive of shooting from the hip after all.

Drop the condescending tones and subtle remarks, UGH!

Follow through on promises. Don't just dangle carrots and "forget" to reward employees for their hard work. It's awkward to have to chase down a manager for a bonus or gift. I see this happen quite a lot.

Oh yeah, and please PLEASE let go of people sooner who are creating a toxic culture! This is an at-will state, after all. Sometimes it's astounding how badly one has to screw up to get fired here. Bullying fellow employees can apparently go on unchecked for a long time if they brown nose the right person enough, or maybe it's just nobody is looking.

Reward people better for their long-term loyalty. It's more valuable for a company and employee morale than the stock-holder bottom line. Or is it?