Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

DeFrino
Mike
DeFrino

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance can be hard to achieve (in 8 reviews)

• Hourly employees aren't always considered when making decisions (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great opportunities"

Former Employee - Front Desk
    Former Employee - Front Desk

Pros

Great properties and a great management team in most hotels. An overall young management group that is very helpful in advancing within the company. A good sense of loyalty and company pride throughout.

Cons

As in any entry level position there is relatively high turnover which can lead to inconsistent schedules and training of new employees.

Advice to Management

With a little more focus on entry level training processes the same company loyalty at the management level could transcend to the front line.

2. "My time with Kimpton"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I think Kimpton is a great place to work for several reasons. First, the culture is amazing. People are happy to be at work, and they strive to have the best guest experiences. Second, because the company is small, you have opportunities to work in many departments for cross-training. Furthermore, it is common to meet the CEO or COO during their visits, because they enjoy seeing friendly faces. Finally, their hotels care for the environment and embrace green practices.

Cons

One of the biggest cons about Kimpton is that they really like people willing to move up the ranks by relocating to many cities around the US. If this environment is not for you, you may want to pass on Kimpton. Also, their pay scale for management is slightly lower than the counterparts I've known at other 4-5 star corporate brands.

Advice to Management

The leadership at Kimpton is outstanding. All the Directors, VP's, and C-suite members add value to Kimpton. They keep the vision alive, and it is well evident.

"manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

great place to work. recommend it.

Cons

lots of locations - so lots of travel.

Advice to Management

good job!

4. "Kimpton"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Dog friendly - you can bring your pets to work at some hotels
    - Very open-minded and fun culture - they welcome diversity and embrace different opinions, culture, and sexual orientation
    - Small company environment - still a relatively new and small company so it is still easy to get your voice heard.

Cons

- Small company - everyone knows everyone so gossip is unavoidable
    - Definitely some growing pains at the company
    - Employee discount on rooms is not excellent

Advice to Management

- Branding is important. The Kimpton brand is still relatively unknown to others unfamiliar with the hotel industry.
    -An overhaul of some of the restaurant concepts is definitely needed.

5. "Kimpton not only talks the talk, but it walks the walk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Each Kimpton employee across the board is warm and welcoming
     - Manager gives me the attention I need, and when I am speaking with her, that is the most important thing to her at that time
     - You really can write your own career at Kimpton, company pushes for internal transfers
     - Great discounts on travel
     - Manager allows me to seek training and mentoring outside of the company

Cons

- The company is a little decentralized

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

6. "Amazing company to work with/for"

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture of Kimpton promotes great people to work with. Lots of great minds contribute to a wonderful staff.

Cons

I feel some people in the location I was at were overlooked for advancement opportunities. Sometimes a new manager would come in and not truly understand the values of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes open- tomorrow's future of the company is on the front line today.

7. "Great company all around"

Former Employee - Multiple in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Multiple in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hotels are all fabulous and push beyond the boundaries of style, comfort, and class in everything they do from architecture to service. The majority of people I worked with had fantastic personalities - all very unique. Kimpton seems to only hire people who are exciting. I was excited to go work every day. Most properties, including my own, are like a family and really take care of each other.

Cons

Definitely not the highest paying hotel chain

Advice to Management

Sometimes people are so busy working, they don't have time to come ask for a new opportunity, don't let someone burn out doing a great job - give them something to look forward to! And if they do ask, and its not the right time, help them understand what they need to do to get there.

8. "Fun. Engaging. Family."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, great working environment, my coworkers feel like family. I am always allowed to be myself and I am pushed to be the best I can be. There is lots of opportunity for growth within the company and they really focus on promoting from within. Plus, the hotels are amazing!

Cons

Hours are not flexible. Work life balance could be better. I don't think I could have a family and work here. That's a pretty big issue...

Advice to Management

Keep being the innovative company that we all love. Be flexible and open to new ideas.

"DOSM"

Former Employee - DOSM in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - DOSM in Denver, CO

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

By far, the best company I have ever worked for in my career! The corporate office is engaged and a huge support to the field. Some of the most creative, inspirational and hard working people are in this company on all levels! Am proud to have been part of their team!

Cons

Honestly, I don't have any. Open hotels in Europe.

"Great hotel company!"

Pros

Love working with my co-workers. Friendly environment. Always pushing team work and class to teach you more about the industry.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any!