Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Greatest Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great vibes, Amazing support from all levels, Employee loyalty, Progressive values

Cons

A growing company can have some pains along the way. Integration with new company is slower than I'd like, but ultimately an exciting opportunity

Advice to Management

Remember what made Kimpton great.

2. "Best Self"

Current Employee - Director of Food and Beverage in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Food and Beverage in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kimpton is the best company I have had the pleasure to work for. If you are looking for an organization who has your back, supports you, develops you and trusts your entrepreneurial spirit then this is where you want to be. Many companies value average results and average experiences. At Kimpton I am part of a culture that challenges me to be my best self, challenges me to be a leader in the industry and also surrounds my team and I with some of the best leaders in the industry. You don't become one of the best places to work in fortune magazine by accident. It is achieved with respect, motivation, accountability and leaders who inspire you to grow each and everyday and move mountains for us to do what we do best, which is to serve our guests.

Cons

Hard to find be happy all the time!!

Advice to Management

If you are looking to be your best self, then surround yourself with the best leaders. A company like Kimpton attracts only the best, genuine leadership that lead by example and love hospitality and guest service more then any other company I have ever worked with.

3. "Sr Area Group Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Area Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Area Sales Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Kimpton is amazing, a company that actually follows through on what they say about work/life balance. They promote wellness, fitness and health and encourage family time. All while creating a positive work environment where people are happy to arrive to in the morning. You don't feel as though someone is watching over your shoulder and you're empowered to make your own decisions for what is right for the guest, client and meeting attendee.

Cons

Nothing to report on for Cons section

Advice to Management

Nothing to report on for Advice to Management

4. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kimpton is a place where you can truly be you. We encourage diversity of thought, experience and backgrounds. It's a place where growth is a real possibility.

Cons

There should be more hotels...

Advice to Management

More hotels...more opportunity.

5. "Outstanding Hospitality Company - Kimpton Hotels"

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Respects Diversity, genuinely cares for employees, focus on fun, cheap employee hotel rooms, great benefits, work/life balance, encourage creativity and creating special experiences

Cons

Wish there were even MORE hotels

6. "Kimpton for life!"

Pros

Great Career opportunities if you are willing to raise your hand.

Culture is the best.

Cons

not enough people know how great we are

Advice to Management

Always retain the culture

7. "For hospitality, Kimpton is where it's at!"

Pros

Of the hospitality companies, Kimpton is where it's at! They are well-established and admired, and growing like crazy both in the US and abroad.

Strong, well-loved, well-followed brand, and incredibly on point in this way. I feel proud to work for a company that shows up well to our customers.

There is a lot of opportunity for growth if you are self-directed and take the initiative to pursue the career path you want, nobody will just hand it to you at this company (which I think benefits high performers) and as an employee they trust you to do your part.

Management takes developing and growing their people seriously, and the company offers a lot of classes/training for employees to attend.

Fun perks, company conferences (management), company parties and outings. It's a great place to work.

Cons

Every hotel and restaurant does things a little bit differently, so your experience may vary from venue to venue if you move. Not always a bad thing, but can lead to inconsistencies.

Kimpton does not seem to be the most competitive for actual pay. They do make up for it in-part with some of the fun perks, benefits (tuition reimbursement, pet insurance?!) and in what you get to do and access professionally, but I was surprised to find out pay is not always in line with other hotels.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on our experience as employees. You do a good job at this. The culture is what makes Kimpton so great, and what keeps us here for so long... maybe take a look at wages? The offers from other hotel companies are getting tough to turn down, and I hate seeing us lose people over something we can easily improve.

8. "Why You Want to Work for Kimpton"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Place where your opinions are valued and it is safe to fail yet challenging.

Cons

Not for everyone, you really need to fit in with the culture.

9. "Culture, design and destination infused with hospitality"

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kimpton really understands that people are not robots. Creating an environment where you feel at ease but are yet allowed to flourish and contribute to the bottom line is not an easy thing to accomplish but this company has done exactly that. Upward mobility, sense of work place pride, and relocation opportunities are all present.

Cons

Being such a great company, some tenured employees may just try to do the minimum to stay on board, and loss sight of the big picture of self development and of their impact on the business at hand.

Advice to Management

Ensure that our leadership teams engage a bit more with their respective teams, this will allow them to uncover issues that some team members may not be willing to share because of the lack of confidence to be the first person to start the conversation.

10. "A company worth working for"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Finance
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Finance

Pros

The culture of Kimpton is the strongest I have seen. Even though it is a large company, you feel very intertwined at all levels. People are happy who work here and that is because the guests are happy too. The brand is really something rare if you ask me. Also, there is always room for advancement. It is an easy company to move up in if you are willing to put in the time and work.

Cons

Honestly, the only thing is pay. I was offered 30k more for a job with another hospitality group but turned it down because Kimpton is one of a kind. You constantly hear about people coming back because the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Advice to Management

Bump up pay to market standards.