Kin + Carta Americas Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

4.2
Kin + Carta Americas CEO Kelly Manthey
Kelly Manthey
Pros
  • "Carta for over 2 years (through the rebranding from Solstice) and I can say it's the best job that I've had(in 99 reviews)

• "Benefits like training budget, 401k and health insurance are good(in 44 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains have persisted since the firm’s acquisition with only minor adjustments(in 26 reviews)

• "Aside from that, pay & benefits are below industry standards while work life balance is pure fiction(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Opportunities to challenge and stretch yourself

Jun 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Kin + Carta thrives on servant leadership, which is the main reason why I'm still here today. The concept is easy to understand, but difficult to maintain in a growing company. Our culture values aren't owned by the leadership team. They are owned, and protected, by every single Kin in their daily interactions with others. You can't fake it, and people would see right through it. But when it's real, which it is here, you can feel it. And it's energizing to work alongside others that want to maintain that culture, even amongst the challenges we as a society are going through right now.

Cons

You aren't always given specific directions and told how to go about doing your job. This can be daunting for those that are new in their careers, or those that actually want to be given a daily task list and check things off. Here, you are most often given challenges to solve, and provided with a support system to lean on when you need it. And similarly, it's up to you to own your career growth. You have a mentor, employee experience (HR) support, open access to leaders, and many other tools to build your career. But ultimately it's up to you to own it, and decide how much you want to put into learning and growing. And most of the successful Kin find that supporting others in their career growth, and taking the time to listen and learn about others as people, not just as a co-worker, provides them with higher levels of satisfaction.

CEO

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I see servant leadership live and breathe within our firm everyday, too. That, and growth mindset — the people who work at Kin + Carta have a hunger to solve the big challenges for our clients. Our operating model evolution ensures that employees have the support in place to grow and continue to solve the tough problems together. Thanks for going on this journey with us.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place to grow and go on a journey

May 6, 2021 - Principal Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kin and Carta is a family. Everyone works in the best interest of each other, everyone's opinions and thoughts are valued. Teams actually do retrospectives to ensure everyone gets a change to raise concerns, and leadership put in places forums and other surveys for feedback. Coworkers, especially on project teams, genuinely care for each other. Rarely have I had a coworker decline to assist an other. The other benefit of Kin and Carta is its business in itself: consulting. Clients come to Kin and Carta to solve important and tough challenges (if they could do it themselves they would!). This gives opportunities for every consultant to try out new technologies, new industries and new tools. The variety in assignments keeps consultants "fresh".

Cons

Just like any consultancy, Kin and Carta needs to balance the needs of clients, consultants and business, that can mean assignment changes don't always happen quickly or the assignment can feel at odds with strengths.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Feeling stuck and underpaid

Apr 20, 2021 - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

They give you a yearly training budget to purchase courses on technologies you want to learn about, as well as a few training days to take time away from normal client work to work on your training. Other K+C employees are fairly nice overall, if you ever get the chance to talk to them outside of your client work. Nice office space, when we were actually in the office.

Cons

You're going to work for some giant corporation with a bad culture. It will feel like you work for this corporation, but then you'll remember you work for K+C when you don't get as many holidays or PTO days as the client's employees. If you ever want to move to another project or client, they will tell you that they'll try to move you over and then never move you. They say they will try to put you on a project that aligns with what you want to learn/work on, but they won't really. They'll assign you to something they need you to do with little regard for what you want to learn or develop, and then pretend like they care about how you feel with a weekly "morale survey" that means nothing. And all the while, they will be underpaying you. While they do have a training budget, it's very unlikely you'll get any real experience in what you're learning unless you fight tooth and nail for it and then maybe after 6 months they'll start listening. They like to keep you doing the same thing as you always were.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great firm, spectacular people!

Apr 14, 2021 - Product Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- lots of efforts to promote diversity & inclusion - lots of cool projects/clients - interesting work - the people are phenomenal - leadership is very transparent - limited bureaucracy - bi-annual promotion cycles - B-corporation

Cons

- still some "it's all about who you know" culture when it comes to advancement - minuscule time off - slightly underpaid across the board - travel requirements can be brutal depending on the client

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company with strong core values, exciting work, and rapid growth!

Apr 2, 2021 - Principal Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at K+C for over 5 years and have truly enjoyed watching us grow from a smaller Chicago-based firm to a global consultancy. The work is challenging and you are surrounded by incredibly talented individuals who are invested in your success. You have the opportunity to learn new skills, explore various industries, and do meaningful work that has an impact. Though we are growing rapidly, leadership continues to offer transparency into our long term vision, goals, and progress across the firm, something you do not typically encounter at other consulting agencies. K+C also recently became B Corp certified, and you can see that come alive in client projects and the internal work we do every day. Having this certification showcases leadership's values and commitment to our people and the planet, not just solely the firm's profit.

Cons

With rapid growth comes a more ambiguous leadership and support structure. While K+C is working to formalize this more, you really have to be comfortable operating more autonomously.

6. 5.0

Endless Career Growth Opportunities

Jan 18, 2021 - Principal in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Kin + Carta for over 6 years now. I have had the opportunity to work with fantastic people across both the Create and Advise businesses. Kin + Carta has given me the ability to grow my career across Product Development, Product Strategy, Digital Strategy, and Business Strategy to truly become a cross-functional consultant and professional. There is a level of autonomy & trust that doesn't exist in other places of work. The people around you trust you to get your work done but are always there to support you if you need it. I've had the opportunity to grow professionally across many client industries & team models throughout my career and I am very excited to continue to grow into the new opportunities K+C offers as we continue to grow as a connective. Finally, I'm super excited by our entire organization's dedication to being an inclusive and conscious workplace. Through our DEI initiatives and our recent certification as a B-Corp, the desire to make a difference in the world makes this company one I am proud to say I work for.

Cons

The only cons I can think to share are cons that you are going to find at any professional services firm: - Some projects are better & more fulfilling than others - Bare minimum holidays off

CEO

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experience. As someone who’s worked with us for the past six years, across pillars, I have no doubt that you’ve continued to play an active role at Kin + Carta, and are multiplying us all for success. We will never stop finding ways to grow our Kin, and I’m committed to make this the best place you will work. - Kelly

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to grow and impact positive change

Dec 8, 2020 - Regional Director of Operations in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can define your own career at Kin and Carta, and my tenure has been proof of that. As the business has grown, I've played multiple non-delivery roles and I've been able to define my own path with the support of leadership. You have the opportunity to shape the company. We're at a great size and have a great culture that is open to feedback and conversations. Anyone can get face time with the Global CEO to chat or raise up concerns. I also feel like my individual impact reaches across the entire organization. You get to work with amazing people. The people I work with are the best, and I can be my goofy self every day in front of any of my colleagues. In a past life, I've worked for places that require a strict dress code, or require you to cover tattoos and remove piercings, or even limit your interactions with other employees because of access to sensitive company information. Here, I can find a forum to nerd out with my fellow star wars and dr. who fans, or chat with the other parents across the globe when my little ones do something hilarious. But most importantly, I don't feel like I have to hide part of my whole self in order to be a trusted leader.

Cons

Structure can be ambiguous. Which some people see as a con, myself, I thrive in changing environments when I know the change is for the better. I love the challenge of it. But for others, I can see that not having a clear hierarchy and reporting structure can be a source of anxiety.

CEO

I have no doubt that you’ve made a huge impact across Kin + Carta’s global and local firm during your tenure. Thank you for sharing your perspective. We’ve changed a lot over the past few years, and it’s been a good thing. Most recently, I find that our Operating Model evolution is solving for some of the ambiguous structure that has proved to be intimidating in the past. Throughout all the change, the one thing that’s been consistent is exactly what you called out — a culture of inclusion & seriously amazing people. Keep bringing your whole self to work! You make us all better when you do so. - Kelly

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Still Waiting For The Other Shoe To Drop

Apr 26, 2021 - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quality of work, co-worker, management, diversity, encourages curiosity, always looking to improve, executive leadership, transparency, work life balance

Cons

We are growing very rapidly so sometimes there are growing pains, but they do not last long.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Place to Work

Apr 28, 2021 - Senior Product Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kin + Carta consistently evaluates feedback of their employees and pivots appropriately

Cons

Because of the host of benefits of working here, salaries feel less-than-competitive.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to grow your skills with smart, fun people

Sep 29, 2020 - Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team-mates are all very strong players: smart, open, great with the client, really know their stuff, and are willing to teach me what I don't know. The culture around sharing knowledge is really excellent. The executive team is unique in that you have way more access to them than you would expect. I can send a Slack message to any C-level exec and they will respond and engage with me. Pretty rare for a company this size. I get to work on emerging tech. Sometimes on a client project, or sometimes as part of our Labs group but the opportunities are there if you raise your hand. Our clients are F500, so any digital experience you work on here will have hundreds of thousands to millions of users. It's nice to have an impact at that scale. Your contributions will be appreciated and noticed. Expect accolades and shoutouts at company-wide meetings if you've really delivered something awesome for a client.

Cons

Being consulting, the work is usually deadline driven, which can add some stress. We usually do a great job of spreading the work over the entire course of the engagement so there isn't a crunch time at the end of a sprint or before a read-out to a client.

CEO

Thank you for the thoughtful observations and feedback. We'll continue communicating as we grow both locally and globally, and navigate the new world we all live in.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 218 Reviews

Popular Careers with Kin + Carta Americas Job Seekers

Software Engineer
    Learn About the Job
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    User Experience Researcher (Contract)
    Learn About the Job