Kinder Kids International School Employee Reviews about "kids are great"

Updated Jul 24, 2019

4.0
Kinder Kids International School CEO Kimiko Nakayama (no image)
Kimiko Nakayama
Pros
  • "I will never forget the four the years I spent teaching with Kinder Kids(in 11 reviews)

• "The kids are great and the emphasis is on learning through having fun and having their interests piqued(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They would stay at the school (with unpaid overtime) to work on lesson plans they had no time to work on during the day(in 8 reviews)

• "Shortage of cover teachers and/or day care help can mean very little prep time for teachers(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "kids are great"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Teachers Abused Children followed by promotion

Jul 24, 2019 - Cover Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great kids, great environment for kids, Japanese admin staff was great.

Cons

management, time off requests, sick days, benefits, no room for career growth, run as a business not as a school.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Senior Management

Apr 23, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kids are great, teachers are generally very friendly.

Cons

Some senior management staff seems to only care about themselves and suffers from favoritism. Some newer teacher choices seem particularly questionable. Some of the bigger schools can be deemed as toxic work environments.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 3.0

alright

Mar 7, 2019 - Teacher in Toyonaka
      Business Outlook

Pros

* steady pay * sometimes the kids are great

Cons

* depending on who your Japanese teaching partner is, your year may be a nightmare * it is a kindergarten, sometimes the atmosphere is a little too much like SH prepping for uni

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great employee benefits and a good curriculum

Dec 7, 2017 - Full-Time Teacher in Sakai, Osaka
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good salary - Generous amount of annual leave - Great kids - Good amount of freedom around activity planning and structure - Freedom to be creative with kids

Cons

- Different schools operate differently and have different standards and ways of doing things which can create issues if you are covering or are transferred to another school. - I observed some bullying. - Overtime hours, especially around events can be demanding.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent experience, building my teaching skills.

Feb 29, 2016 - Kinder Teacher in Sakai, Osaka
      Business Outlook

Pros

I felt very comfortable joining the school from the outset after the warm interview and viewing the well planned curriculum. As a career teacher I came to Japan to travel and experience life but also wanted to build my knowledge and skills of ESL for my return to teaching in my own country. The most refreshing aspect was the focus on the children and really doing the best job that we could to educate them well, not to put them under pressure and allow them to develop at their individual pace. Not teaching to the test. The school has a strong vision for being professional and caring and I felt there was support there from experienced colleagues in my school and in the office. I also appreciated being trusted to do the job well and to be allowed to experiment with new game/lesson ideas and share these with others. I also felt proud to have looked back at the end of the year and see how far the kids had come along. It is the most fun I have had in the classroom. The kids are great and the emphasis is on learning through having fun and having their interests piqued. I learned to think about classroom practice in a completely different way (despite going through university to qualify as a teacher beforehand) and it has been a benefit in my career. It isn't just being in front of a whiteboard either, there are excursions, cooking, playing in the paddling pool!

Cons

It is a steep learning curve. I needed to be proactive in finding new ways of doing things and looking through the class manuals to support my planning. I asked a lot of questions! You learn a lot through practice, as anyone who has taught will tell you, and you need to plan properly and be energetic. It can be tiring but the variety of activities in any given day make it interesting and time passes quickly - I could not imagine being stuck in an office instead! It is a commitment. The children need you to be at your best and it really isn't suited to hangovers!

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A bit depressing.

Jul 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to take time off. Great kids Many Locations Easy to get hired It did feel nice to be in a big company. Kind of a secured feeling.

Cons

This job will take over your life. Being a substitute teacher was kind of awful. They would send us to schools that would maybe be a two hour commute from my apartment. Doesn't matter how far away you are, if you are scheduled then you gotta go. You never really got a chance to connect with any of the kids because you'd be shipped from one school to the next. The kids would sometimes recognize you, but at best you'd be looked at as a "playmate". In my experience as a substitute teacher, you never actually get to "teach" a class. I would be scheduled as the class teacher, but usually the partner teacher would take over. Honestly it felt like I was disposable. Just a stand in play partner for the kids and someone to mop the floor. The management wasn't horrible but I was frustrated with them. There would be major lack of communication from them when I needed to ask something. Also to note, sometimes there would be holiday events for the staff. All of the class teachers would get invitations to them via email, yet us substitute teachers were "somehow" left out of those mass email invites. Like I said in my earlier notes, I felt very disposable. Also to note, the job takes over your life. Our shifts are supposed to be from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm. Yet I would see teachers stay after hours to create lesson plans. They would stay at the school (with unpaid overtime) to work on lesson plans they had no time to work on during the day. I met a teacher that came in on his day off to work on his lessons because he was tired of coming back home so late during the week. Everyone is in a constant rush during the school. You have to be because your working with babies and young children. But by the end of the day, you just want to pass out. Thats what the life is. Wake up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, sleep. That was the routine for most of the employees at the company. It wasn't a horrible job. It was just exhausting and for me personally, a bit depressing.

3 people found this review helpful