Kindercare Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kindercare CEO Tom Wyatt
Tom Wyatt

Pros
Cons
  • Very low pay for job responsibilities (in 52 reviews)

• upper management (been through 3 district managers in 2 years) (in 25 reviews)

1. "Pay sucks."

Current Employee - Infant Teacher in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Infant Teacher in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Nothing else is a pro.

Cons

Pay is too little for the amount of kids we take care of. Currently 11 infants with 2 teachers. Mobile infants should be in a different room. It's REALLY hard and stressful. Especially because we have newborns that we have to watch constantly.

Advice to Management

Minimum pay should be $11/hour.
    Mobile infants should be in a different room.

"They Only Care About Money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gig Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the kids and some of the teachers.

Cons

We were given far too many children per room, well over the teacher/student ratio. I once had 11 toddlers in my room by myself; the ration for the toddler room is 7:1. I would see teachers crying because they were so stressed out. The kids were often put into rooms that were not suited for their age group, This made it so you were not able to have group time since the children were at all different levels. All of the rooms were under code. When they knew that someone from the state or the higher ups in the company were coming (They never stopped by unannounced) they would move students back to their proper rooms, have us run around to get all the rooms up to standards, and call in more teachers to bring the ratio to code. A lot of the teachers did not follow the curriculum and didn't teach the children anything. They would just have them play outside for the whole day. They mocked the parents who were truly interested in the progress of their children's education, calling them "crazy," "annoying," and "overbearing." They didn't let teachers go to the bathroom for hours. They were incredibly vindictive if you complained about the overcrowding of classrooms, or anything. They would cut the hours of teachers they didn't like. They wouldn't give classroom suppliesto the teachers they didn't like. The monthly money for supplies seemed to mysteriously run out even if no one got any supplies.They also did not have proper care for children with mental disabilities who needed a shadow teacher. They did not care that their teachers were not trained to deal with these students.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on how much money you can make by cutting corners and focus on the well-being and education of the children.

3. "Terrible management. Mostly for the looks and the money. Over enrolled even in infants. Perception means everything"

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Silverdale, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Silverdale, WA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting paid to pay bills. Meeting new friends. But other than that, I would never recommend anyone to work here.

Cons

Management. Management. And some more management. Management runs everything, so if they can't keep the facility out of licensing's mind than there's something wrong.

Advice to Management

Get people who actually know how to run the floor and not have every teacher look bad from there own mistakes.

"Awful"

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The families recognize and appreciate the care and work done with the children and in the classroom rather than management.

Cons

Unfortunately there are more cons than pros for this company. As teachers we are underpaid and are expected to do so much with little to no help or support in the classroom. Center directors do not maintain employee confidentiality and sadly the center will soon be closing due to an unknown reason and staff and parents are not being notified until last minute. How am I suppose to find new employment? How are parents suppose to find new childcare in a timely manner?

6. "The company does not care about kids"

I worked at Kindercare part-time

Pros

Showing love to the kids

Cons

Teachers are allowed to yell at the kids, belittle them, humiliate them. Head office doesn't care. I contacted them and they never responded to the issues I raised. They just want money.

Advice to Management

Respond to concerns of verbal abuse going on in your daycare.

"If you don't drink their UNETHICAL Kool-Aid, your're done."

Former Employee - Center Director
    Former Employee - Center Director

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get to work with great teaching and support staff.

Cons

Pay scales are all over the place. VERY low teacher pay resulting in VERY high turn over rate, making it impossible to staff many of the centers. Name your price because they are desperate for people right now. Some Center Directors are under qualified and are making over $65,000 and they can't even put their own name on state licensing paperwork as an administrator so they use someone else's name and credentials (maybe an unbeknownst teacher in the building.....BEWARE) without even telling them! I was making $20,000 less than Directors who had over ten years less experience than me and no degree or any kind of credentials. They are all about filling the building and factory-style child care....they ARE NOT Early Education in any shape, way, or form. Their one-size-fits-all (cookie cutter, pre-made) curriculum, outdated buildings, and lack of any kind of technology (for children AND teachers!) at all are just to name a few of the cons. All leadership from the district level on up has been replaced with people from retail, having absolutely no knowledge of Early Childhood Education and the unique needs of managing a center. It is actually very sad, as approximately five years ago, the company seemed to be turning in a positive direction. Upon the termination of tenured leadership within the past year, these new "leaders" from retail are going to sink the ship. Let's put it this way, a district manager (who started in mid-fall with Kinder Care) visited one of their centers ONCE in four months. That's not being a leader, that's just being stupid. Nepotism is rampant and if you suck up to the right people, you will get somewhere, but don't expect to advance just by being a high performing director and by running an extremely high performing center......because it is the low performers who seem to be getting advancements. This sends the wrong message to your great directors/REAL LEADERS! Wake up because they are all jumping ship one by one.....hence all of the employment ads on here!

Advice to Management

Hire District Managers who are educated and are EDUCATORS. Your retail folks are going to be the end of Kinder Care. They are always working from home and are NEVER in the centers. Go back to mandatory District Manager Center Visits and hire some educated people who actually have a clue and you might be able to save your company. Your district managers are laughable, at best.....they love lunching on their corporate credit card but we, the directors, are never allowed to buy lunch for staff. It also is not fair that District Managers have better insurance plans (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) than everyone else (all of us "other" employees have Aetna at over $600 monthly out of pocket!). You are putting your money in the wrong place. Invest more in your employees (not just upper level management)....without them, ya got nothing!

8. "things are not always what it seems"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kindercare has great training tools.

Cons

- its not what you know, its who you know
    - underpaid
    -lack of teacher appreciation

9. "Not what it seemed"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits (though rather expensive) ok location, no weekends (except for occasional trainings) most of staff are nice. Center has good natural light in some classrooms

Cons

Old, run down building.....needs general maintenance (painting,etc) classroom furniture is old, broken. Little storage in classroom, especially for teachers. Constant shuffling of children/staff.....even infants, leaving teachers unable to do much more than custodial care.

Advice to Management

Keep shuffling of children to a minimun (especially the under 2s) Keep lead teachers with their groups, not subbing in other classes

10. "Not the best experience"

I worked at Kindercare full-time

Pros

Engaging preschoolers in the learning process

Cons

Poor management, lack of flexibility, low pay

"Awful"

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with children, tuition reimbursement

Cons

They suck the last little bit out of all the good teachers and let the slackers get all the help and attention. We are under paid and over worked. You can never get top performing in your yearly review because the center is not top performing which has nothing to do with how you run your classroom. You give a hand they take your arm. Very hard to get days off for your personal needs. No room to grow. They hire from outside instead of from within.

Advice to Management

Higher better quality teachers so the goods ones don't need to pick up after the slackers. The pay needs to increase. reward us with a better yearly raise not 15 cents. Be a little more fair and stop throwing children to the teacher who can control them better because there teacher cannot.