Kindercare Reviews | Glassdoor

Kindercare CEO Tom Wyatt
Tom Wyatt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • low pay does not permit retention (in 63 reviews)

• A lot of the upper management they are hiring are business managers from retail (in 34 reviews)

1. "Packed in like sardines"

I worked at Kindercare full-time

Pros

If you love kids it’s a rewarding job

Cons

Large open rooms do not make for a good learning environment

Advice to Management

If you want to be taken more seriously as a learning center then I would make the environment more Learning conducive.

"Assistant Director"

I have been working at Kindercare full-time

Pros

Great staff and wonderful Director. The company has a great way of bringing quality employees to early childhood. The child care benefits for each employee making working at KinderCare more appealing.

Cons

As a part of them management, we are pressured into cutting labor hours excessively, This means that we are hurting our staff and increasing the likelihood of turn over rate. We are encouraged to show our staff how much they are valued and then turn around and cut their hours. This directly impacts the quality of care we can provide to the children and families. Operating with limited staff makes it challenging for the teachers to make it through the day and we are often left tittering the line of being our to ratio on a regular basis. It makes it challenging to allow teachers to leave on time with limited staff which creates a perpetual cycle of either being out of ratio or over in labor hours.

Advice to Management

Staffed schools will directly lead to enrollment. Poorly staffed school often cause accidents.

3. "Kindercare"

Former Employee - School Age Lead in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - School Age Lead in Everett, WA

I worked at Kindercare (More than a year)

Pros

-Additional Training
    -Great kids
    -Health Insurance was available
    -Can bring child to work

Cons

-Pay is low
    -No time off is allowed
    -Had to work when sick

Advice to Management

Staff needs to be more appreciated. Hire more staff to cover staff when sick or on vacation. Make sure you are following state standards for child to teacher ratio.

4. "Assistant director job"

Current Employee - Assistant Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have a great director, you can man the job together.

Cons

Kindercare has an insane amount of expectations and daily requirements for management.
    I’ve worked in other non-Kindercare centers that run smoothly without 1,000 tasks but for some reason, Kindercare finds it necessary.
    If you have a lazy or incompetent director, you as an assistant director have to step in and do it all or you get yelled at.

Advice to Management

Work smarter not harder; why is there so many things you delegate to your director and AD? Other centers don’t have this problem

5. "What Once Was Great is on the Decline for the Worst"

Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator in Los Altos, CA
    Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator in Los Altos, CA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• great, supportive co-workers/staff

• benefits

• parent community

• access to materials

• food resources

Cons

• little to no freedom or control on curriculum

• little pay that does not match job responsibilities

• lack of time or support to accomplish responsibilities (many of which deemed unnecessary) dictated by company

• required meetings supplies absolutely no substantial information or training that is beneficial to the employees

• student-to-teacher ratio is spread really thin

Advice to Management

I worked at three different KCE locations over the past 1½ years, starting with CCLC in Los Altos, CA as an Enrichment Coordinator. After 19 months, I worked in a preschool classroom at a KinderCare in Antioch, CA for one month. Then, after moving and searching for employment at another KinderCare in the Dallas, I worked for 3 weeks at a center in Plano, TX. It was because of the last location that I decided to leave the field after teaching preschool for 5 years and an additional 5 years of studying childhood education (a total of 10 years).

To wanting to leave the field after 10 years based on the experience of working at KinderCare is a red flag. Here's what you need to know...

• Pay what the teachers are worth. The hourly rate teachers earn equals the starting wages of an employee at In-&-Out Burger. Educated staff, especially those who have worked for a certain number of years (I've known some who have worked for 15+ years and barely have seen a paycheck raise), should get paid a salary that matches their value

• Trust the staff. Teachers are capable of planning and leading their own curriculum. By enforcing a lesson plan book that is made to follow to a T is degrading to not only the teachers, but the lack of freedom on the daily/weekly/monthly subject also wears down on the students. Teachers know their students best, and they know how to cater to their students' interest of knowledge

• Provide teachers with resources beneficial to their own education and skill; the monthly staff meetings required by the company are always the same hashed-out information that is not worth anyone's time. By instead granting monthly courses that issues certificate of completion, this would not only benefit the individual but to the company as well

• Hire on-site support staff. Teachers are spread too thin when it comes to student-to-teacher ratios, and they are unable to accomplish tasks they are made to do. Many students are bumped around and out of their homeroom to meet room ratio. I've heard managers and assistant managers call teachers "lazy" because they are failing to meet demands (because managers are not stepping in to support their own staff), and scold teachers for not completing assignments. By consistently having floaters and substitutes on site will help relieve the stress on staff from lack of of support, and able to complete long-term projects

• Relieve tasks that are so-called "required". Teachers are made to do so much chart-filling, child serving, and classroom cleaning that they lose valuable time on the number one most important thing in early childhood education— student-to-teacher interaction! Teachers lose time to plan or teach curriculum or even having freeform interaction with students, making for setting routines and expectations nearly impossible for the teacher. I've had management told me, "Why is it taking you so long to clean your classroom? It should only take you 15 to 20 minutes.", when the amount of work is worth 30 to 45 minutes (the average time it took me to close out the room every night). By cutting down on the unnecessary paperwork and cleaning, teachers can get back to what's the most important focus of this job— the children!

I would consider returning to the field and recommend this company to a friend if the company is willing to resolve some of the issues stated above. Until there are improvements, I would say, "Hmm, pass. I'd get out of there when you have the chance."

6. "Center Director"

Current Employee - Center Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Center Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Create your own team
    Opportunity to be a beneficial presence in children's lives
    Chose your shift

Cons

Pressure to enroll without the support to retain families
    Handle business, accounting, management, trainings, curriculum, enrollments, tours, assessments, behavior challenges, event planning, injuries etc simultaneously

7. "Corporate is delusional."

Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-teachers are wonderful, nice playground, some freedom with schedule and curriculum.

Cons

Children and teachers are constantly moved from room to room during the day to be more "efficient", directors are clueless about what actually needs to happen daily, so are regional managers. Very little support for teachers. Curriculum doesn't always make sense for age group. Teachers are expected to be superhuman. Hours aren't great.

"Kids were great, Standards and Training not so much"

Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Country Club Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Country Club Hills, IL

I worked at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were genuinely interested in the development of the children and worked together to try and make everything run smoothly.

Cons

Leadership in certain locations were flawed and didn't know how to run smoothly.

Curriculum didn't allow for different types of learning nor did it make it easy to prepare children for the next age group, which meant some kids were behind when they moved up.

Didn't allow teachers to be creative and do outside of the box learning. They basically shunned anything that isn't in their written curriculum, although parents enjoyed the extra learning.

Leadership doesn't always stick for their staff.

Expect staff members to do multiple positions throughout the school but don't allot them enough time to prepare for each position. I at one point was the cook, the music teacher and then I was moved around to several different classrooms as the lead teacher.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your staff, don't stretch them thin by giving them several task and not hiring enough staff because you don't want to pay out extra money. Allow your teachers to develop their own style of teaching as well as being able to add things to their curriculum. Actually take the time to ask parents what they want including the urban areas. Urban children do not learn the same as suburban children. Try to allow teachers to adapt to those type of situations and allow them to mold children. The purpose of the school is to prepare them for kindergarten why not prepare them and have them be further along.

"Negative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kindercare part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers are nice to work with. Hard working staff members

Cons

Low pay Across company. Bad management in Texas at regional and district level

Advice to Management

Improve the operation of regions

"Last resort childcare"

I have been working at Kindercare part-time

Pros

Big discount for your own children. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Workplace drama. Can't discipline children at all so they run the place.