Kindercare Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kindercare CEO Tom Wyatt
Tom Wyatt

Pros
Cons
  • Very low pay for job responsibilities (in 53 reviews)

• upper management (been through 3 district managers in 2 years) (in 26 reviews)

"Must be self-motivated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

Pros

My managers are very open when you need time off for whatever reason. The hours a very flexible and there are no weekends!

Cons

The communication between management and teachers is horrible. Kindercare is always worried about the bottom line at the cost of the sanity of the workers. Kids will constantly get shifted to other rooms to get an employee out in order to cut hours. This creates much added stress on the teacher when they cannot complete anything because of the added children. The pay is not that great. Slim to no chance of promotion. Only a week off and after 10 years you get two! Yipee!

Advice to Management

Communication! Offer opportunities to advance in the company.

"Things are so different from center to center"

Current Employee - Teacher in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I loved my old center....love the kids and the relationships formed

Cons

When we don't have kids we dont have hours. No sick time or vacation time until after 1 year. Kids are constantly shuffled around. Current center runs things very differently compared to my old center, and I'm not a fan.

Advice to Management

Stop shuffling kids, pay sucks, sick time earlier then 1 year would be nice- you do know we care for little kids full of germs, don't you? Why bump kids out of a room because you lost 2 kids so you can send someone home? So cheap.

"make sure you match the culture"

Current Employee - Teacher in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Wheaton, IL

Pros

the kids are fun, a handful at times, but they are great

Cons

not a male friendly environment,

Advice to Management

do more team building - and one on ones with new staff - as i had some issues there as i was learning and a lot of those prob could have been avoided if they were willing to ever spend just 5 min chatting.

"Don't bother"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Hourly rate was good, but I was the highest paid and newest employee
    A few great employees-our cook was awesome!

Cons

Management did not take employee suggestions
    Management in my location was fired, new manager was rude, unprofessional, all about the money
    Overcrowded classrooms
    Constantly begged to stay late
    Some employees should have been fired (shouting curses where children could hear, screaming and fighting with each other in front of children)
    Open wall centers are a horrible idea/no volumn control
    How they passed state inspection is beyond me
    Constant lice problem
    If you are a parent and employee your complaints about teachers will not be tolerated (my 2-year old child was bit, hit, and pushed by the same child every day but teachers sat on their butts and did nothing, when I spoke to management about it they told me it couldn't be helped!), this was the final straw and why I left after 2 months.

Advice to Management

I have been in childcare for over 10 years and have a Master's degree in education, I love working with children and in childcare. However, this job left me frustrated and annoyed.
    You need to watch your Directors more closely to ensure the staff is being heard and taken care of or all you will get are unqualified teachers who are only there for a paycheck.

"If you don't go along with what management wants (personal included), management will get rid of you!"

Current Employee - Teacher in Morgan Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Morgan Hill, CA

Pros

The children
    My co-workers
    The families we serve

Cons

One of the biggest ones is that management at this particular center is very insecure thus resulting in conflict between teachers, co-workers, etc. Jealousy and excessive passiveness is a big problem, if you are at KLC and you do not go along with what he or she wants said, done, or any insight you may have that you feel would make the place better to work for it is only a matter of time before you are out of there.

Advice to Management

The teachers at Kindercare have opinions and should be heard, if you do not agree with something that is said, talk to that person - don't start gossip around the center. When you lie to parents, teachers, or anyone else there EVENTUALLY it will come back to get you, it's just a matter of time. The teachers and support staff are there not for the money but because they love working with children, when you cause so much conflict and excessive niceness the following day, you will no longer be trusted. Don't expect any of the teachers or support staff to lie for you, it is wrong in every way and eventually karma will come back around.

"Horrendous"

Former Employee - Center Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Center Director in Denver, CO

Pros

Benefits
    Time Off
    Perks for Center Directors

Cons

Senior Management hired that do not have Early Childhood Education experience
    Senior management Dissrespectful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Senior Management not truthful with employee when recrutiing
    You Must Be The Right Color For Management Positions with Some of Management

Advice to Management

Care about your employees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pay them a decent wage so tht they can pay their bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"All about the money"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in South Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in South Elgin, IL

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with kids is so incredibly rewarding.

Cons

Any place where women are working together is a horrible place to be. I've never experienced a workplace where emotions trump professionalism--leave it to women, though. No wonder we get paid a WHOLE quarter less than our male counterparts. This company is all about money and enrollment and numbers; its not often about the kids. Teachers are simply instruments on the lowest tier on the totem pole and are treated as such. In addition, I would not feel comfortable putting my kids in this type of care after seeing how things actually go down.

Advice to Management

Be professional and encourage professionalism. Teachers are not your children--save the favoritism for your home.

"The most unorganized, greedy, and unthankful company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Infant Teacher in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Infant Teacher in Cary, NC

I worked at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The classrooms are set-up well and the children have access to great age-appropriate toys.

The director is a very nice man (but I think he is in over his head).

Cons

Constantly understaffed, always guilt you into skipping your lunch break, promise one schedule and force you to work another, extremely unorganized, enroll more kids in each room than ratios allow so kids are constantly "shifted" up or down into other age groups and their parents are lied to about it.

The assistant director is very condescending to the teachers and always tries to leave the building for one reason or another (to get a soda from CVS, to run to the bank, etc..). This often leaves the teachers without any support or anyone to relieve them for bathroom breaks.

Also, I was never properly trained. I was hired as the lead infant teacher and only trained one day in my room. Then I was belittled weeks later because I didn't know how to properly fill-out the food program paper work. Although the one day I trained no on showed me how to do it and every time I asked my directors were too busy to help me.

I put in my two weeks notice because of everything listed above and they kept scheduling me for 3 weeks AFTER my two weeks was up. I felt bad for them so I kept working, until I finally just said I was not coming in again and they had to make due. I gave them over a month notice and they still had not hired my replacement when I left.

THEY DON'T OFFER EMPLOYEE DISCOUNTS FOR EMPLOYEE'S WHO ENROLL THEIR INFANTS. IT IS CORPORATE POLICY. SO, SO GREEDY!

Advice to Management

Get it together, hire more teachers, and get a different assistant director.

"Could care less about their teachers"

Former Employee - Teacher in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher in Rockville, MD

I worked at Kindercare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the teachers I worked with

Cons

they cut hours all the time, and would make you come in at you scheduled time and not clock in until they said so. The teachers were treated with a lot of disrespect

Advice to Management

support your teachers and give them their hours

"Need cost of living"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher I in Rialto, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher I in Rialto, CA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the children are being well taking care of

Cons

the teachers are not, 9.68 hr. for taking care of the kids, cleaning toilets, scrubbing walls, showing no teacher creativity its going downhill