Kindercare Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kindercare CEO Tom Wyatt
Tom Wyatt

Pros
Cons
  • Very low pay for job responsibilities (in 53 reviews)

• Benefits, pay, tone deaf upper management (in 28 reviews)

1. "Friendly Staffs!"

I worked at Kindercare full-time

Pros

Staffs were very friendly and nice, especially the director was patient and kind.

Cons

There were no downsides with this company.

"Run, don't walk away from this company"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring child care directors that are trying to give the care that Kindercare's publicity machine spits out

Cons

Corporate management, long 12-14 hour days for salaried employees and a parent group that do not give enough resources to provide adequate care to children

Advice to Management

Stop trying to squeeze every dime out of parents and salaried employees and start providing decent working environments.

3. "Fun place to work"

I have been working at Kindercare full-time

Pros

Fun place to work and coworkers are like family.

Cons

It is a corporation need I say more?

Advice to Management

Center management is great.

4. "Assistant teacher"

I worked at Kindercare full-time

Pros

The children?! Many employees said the children are the only reason they continue to work there.

Cons

Awful place to work. I worked in both Gulph Mills, Pa. site and Horsham, Pa. site. directors and a
    assistant Directors treated us like children. I was yelled at, and nasty, berating notes were left in the classrooms for us. There was little to no recognition of doing our jobs well. As I was new to daycare, I was never told I'd actually have to stay past the end of my shift time to "close" and clean the facility and put out trash. There was nowhere to eat lunch - one facility's break room was full of supplies so there was little room to sit or eat. The next facility had no lunch space at all. I was told I was full time - only later to find they pay hourly and hourly is 30 hours per week. On top of that the second facility drastically reduced all employees hours with little communication about why . We had to beg for a replacement so we could use the restroom. At one facility lateness policy was not enforced so parents would often pick their children up late, and I was forced to work late when that happened. Some employees are verball and emotionally abusive to the children and directors seem to not notice or not do anything about this. There was not adequate employee coverage for lunch breaks and employees were forced to work "out of ratio" - too many children in the classroom per one employee. Calling the hotline to report problems was a joke - nothing changed. The regional director would visit and ask me in front of my director how my job was going for me - That is not an appropriate situation in which to ask me that question. I was extremely happy to get a new job and could never recommend Kindercare for families for day care. we were severely underpaid for the work we did.

Advice to Management

5. "Management only cares about their bottom line"

Current Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great coworkers and management
    Spending time watching children grow
    2 paid all day trainings a year

Cons

Management doesn't care or understand what actually goes on in the classroom, they can't handle stepping in even to do a
    break
    Problem children aren't properly dealt with, just pushed off onto the teachers and seen as income for the center
    Management plays favorites
    Complaints aren't properly investigated, management is more willing to believe one staff member's lies over multiple teachers and parents
    Teachers are told to get classrooms up to par but receive no help whatsoever
    Planning time is non-existent

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and parents when they have real concerns

6. "Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Center Director
    Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing Children and Families.
    Chances to advance and learn and grow.
    Great resources.

Cons

Work, life balance is way off.
    They say they want you to not work so much but then pile on the things that need to be done.

7. "Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Center Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Center Director in Nashville, TN

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The relationships built with children, families, and center staff.

Cons

Loooong hours (14+ per day). New upper management with no experience with children, who rule by fear and intimidation. They expect centers to hit financial goals through any means necessary, regardless of the impacts on children and staff. There are no more promotions in upper management, all outside new hires from retail. I used to respect the CEO and his chosen leaders, and I believed they just didn't know how bad it had gotten at the center level. Now I think they look the other way as long as the money is coming in. I just couldn't do it anymore.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front lines, not just field leaders. I witnessed people get fired after questioning their manager's ethics. The employee hotline is a joke. I had 7 district managers in my 17 year career and only one of them was there for the children, and of course that one is no longer there. I know directors from across the company, in several states, and we all felt intimidated by our district managers to not talk about what was really going on at our level.

8. "As an Assistant Director you get to learn about the details of the company."

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with children, An environment built to learn and develop in the Early Childhood Education Field. You can also contribute ideas and encourage the staff to be creative.

Cons

The pay is not good. Your work capacity depends on how many kids attend school. Not a. consistent schedule. Different workers from other centers may come help if you're short staffed. This may lead to unnecessary mistakes.

Advice to Management

Always show your employees that they're valued.

9. "Great Summer Employment for College Student"

I worked at Kindercare full-time

Pros

Fun lesson plans and field trips planned for kindergarten and school age kids make it a fun place to work.

Great place if you like working with kids.

Cons

Can get very chaotic in the summer when all of the kids are off of school.

May need to be capable of switching to different rooms with different ages of kids day to day.

Advice to Management

Can be tricky to keep a large number of school age kids quiet during nap time for the little ones. It would be beneficial if the rooms were better separated.

10. "Pre-School Teacher"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Spokane, WA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro of working here was the relationships between parents, teachers, and children.

Cons

Severely understaffed, bathroom breaks were few and far between. Teachers were not relieved from shifts until enough children had left for the day, or if the company was in jeopardy of going into over time pay. No care for employees. Staff was also very under paid.

Advice to Management

Maybe it's changed in the last two years, but if not, then adequately staff your centers and pay your employees a decent wage for the work they do.