Kindred Healthcare Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Kindred Healthcare President and CEO Benjamin A. Breier
Benjamin A. Breier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k match since I've been there (5yrs) (in 29 reviews)

• Horrible Upper Management that are not true to their word (in 54 reviews)

"Impersonal"

Current Employee - MDS Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - MDS Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, medical benefits very affordable, staff are dedicated to their patients and their families

Cons

Physical plant run done, badly in need of major renovation. Company is divesting entire division of SNFs b/c they're not profitable. Very business driven. Corp talks big about taking care of their employees, but when push comes to shove, it's a for-profit business.

Advice to Management

Remember why you got into a helping profession...

Kindred Healthcare Response

Mar 19, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with Kindred. We value all feedback and utilize it to support our mission. I can be reached at experience@kindred.com Providing your... More

"RNs should avoid this place"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of your co-workers can be nice to work with, but that's the same everywhere.

Cons

You'll be assigned NINE patients every shift; but, to keep it "legal", they'll also assign you an LVN and a CNA. These are mostly total care patients who are either flat or uncooperative for the most part. There's no medication scanning, no automatic medication dispenser, no open stock fluids, no supplies in the supply room. They're paranoid about cost containment - every single thing has to come out of purchasing, and most of the time you need to get the nurse supervisor to approve every supply request. It is impossible to easily navigate through a chart via their charting system and most of the physicians still write orders and progress notes in their illegible handwriting. Most of the nursing supervisors will yell at you, accuse you of things, jump to conclusions, publicly embarrass you at the nurse's station. This place has a bad reputation and some major hospitals will not accept your time at Kindred in your salary calculation. The facility is run down and dirty. You would not want your loved one to be in this place. This place has a lot of trouble keeping people. Every process is RN-driven, all processes are too paper-intensive, and all of this paper has to go to one person who you can't even find half the time. They complain about "junk overtime" when you're 15 minutes late getting out; but even at 5 minutes per patient, that is (9x5=) 45 minutes of report that they want you to give in 30 minutes. Administration does not have your back. Demanding family members can have their way with you, and all you'll get is a little speech about how you should just smile and not take it personally. The employees who have been there for a while have been so beaten down by this atmosphere that they may be there, physically, but they are not there mentally or in spirit. It's classic mismanagement and penny-pinching taken to its extreme.

Advice to Management

Refer to the Cons section of this review and fix the items I've indicated.

Kindred Healthcare Response

Jun 24, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with us. We value all feedback and utilize it to support our mission. I can be reached at experience@kindred.com. Providing your... More

"Poor experience"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist/Rehab Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist/Rehab Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kindred philosophy seems to resonate with an idealistic world of putting patients first
    Clinical team strong
    Compliance department is thorough

Cons

Poor upper management
    Micromanagement
    Interest in self success from management
    Inability for upper level management in operations to be held accountable from compliance and clinical to carry out the philosophy

Advice to Management

Really look at what it is you need to do different to measure up to your company's mission

"Clinical Liaison"

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review only pertains to Kindred Healthcare's contract with this particular hospital's rehab unit. (Kindred' Rehab Division). However, this review particularly pertains to the upper management team (ADO and above) and their treatment of the clinical liaisons.

Kindred Healthcare's Hospital Division is very different and may be a good place to work. But Kindred's upper management (ADO and above) doesn't care much about their employees' or patients' welfare. As a matter of fact, many of their upper management members don't have a clinical background. Therefore they lack understanding of what it's like to be on the clinical side and how it is to care for patients.

Cons

-Kindred Healthcare had contracted their marketing and management team to a hospital's acute rehab unit
    -Kindred has unrealistic expectations. The hospital's rehab unit had an ADC of 9 in the rehab unit but Kindred expects their employees to fill all 32 beds
    -our rehab unit was the worst performing unit in the entire nation with 30+ below the expected budget each month (that's how unrealistic their expectations are!)
    -they expect you to work as many weekends as possible. When they say they expect you to work one weekend per month, it means you have to work both Saturday and Sunday (even though it may be half-days, it ruins your weekends because you still have to commute there). And you only can have one day off as a complementary day.
    -ADO and above management are very unsupportive. They try to be "optimistic", which means never admitting their expectations were miscalculated.
    -promise bonuses if we achieve their expected goals but nobody has ever achieved those goals in the last three years since the inception of the program.
    -high turnover rate. Average clinical liaison work approximately 6 months prior to resigning. Over 30 clinical liaisons and marketing consultants have been through this program over the last 3 years due to the high turnover rate.
    -the company loses over $10K per month due to their unrealistic expectations; they choose to stay as a contracted employee with that hospital because they're too stubborn to withdraw their contract. In the process, they create an unhealthy working environment and create immense pressure for all the clinical liaisons to reach their unrealistic goals.
    -the medical director that Kindred hired to revamp the unit also quit after 6 months due to the corruption and unprofessionalism of the work environment

Advice to Management

Know when to withdraw a contract.
    Don't create unrealistic expectations and expect employees to achieve it.
    Don't blame the liaisons for company's unrealistic expectations.
    Admit that the original contracts numbers (expectations) were miscalculated

"Radiology Technologist"

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I enjoy working at Kindred Los Angeles because of my coworkers. Then again, I think I can get along with almost anyone.

Cons

Firstly, the pay at Kindred Los angeles isn't the best, however, it could be worse! They make us flex often, and I'm not even scheduled the month of December.

Advice to Management

You cut back our hours and we end up coming in for "call-backs". Allow us to keep our staggered schedule, and the "call-backs" will be cut down drastically.

"Great staff, need more support"

Current Employee - Chief Clinical Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Clinical Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff who work at the hospital are amazing.
    There are multiple opportunities within the hospital to advance your career.

Cons

The pay is below industry average
    The staff need more education
    The staff need to be staffed correctly
    The CNAs should have ratios

Advice to Management

Pay your staff a fair wage
    Pay to educate them adequately

7. "medical social Worker"

Former Employee - Medical Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare (Less than a year)

Pros

great supervisor and clinical team

Cons

Inability of corporate office to see advantages of keeping the Torrance, CA office open.

8. "rehab"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful patients who fully appreciated care given to them.

Cons

No matter how well one performed, there was always a whip at your back to increase 'production'. Unsafe environment.

Advice to Management

Make certain that management equally distributes assistance of aides

9. "Respiratory"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company if you want to transfer out of area they will help you.

Cons

Heavy work loads. Old charting system.

Advice to Management

Clinical staff needs more training

Showing 9 of 1,205 reviews