Kindred Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Kindred Healthcare President and CEO Benjamin A. Breier
Benjamin A. Breier

1,140 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k match since I've been there (5yrs) (in 29 reviews)

• Horrible Upper Management that are not true to their word (in 54 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Nurse Assistant/Senior Nurse Assistant"

Current Employee - Senior Nurse Assistant in Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Nurse Assistant in Clarksville, IN

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They become family and people you lean on.

Cons

no less than any other job. It's all about perspective and a strong mortality

Advice to Management

Keep being the you, I needed when i started there. ♡

May 2, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are honored by your service.

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Green Cove Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Green Cove Springs, FL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Night Shift Supervisors and fellow nurses are incredibly supportive. Great teamwork mentality.

Cons

Pay is low. Equipment is outdated and supplies are sometimes hard to come by. Administration sometimes implements new policies without consideration for how it impacts patient care. Not much room for advancement in nursing. Patients are VERY ill and many pass away adding to the stress of an already stressful job.

Advice to Management

Work on the floor a couple of days/nights per month so you get a sense of how your policies translate to the real world. I realize all of you were at one time on the floor but you have forgotten what it's like.

Jun 13, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience while working with us. We embrace a diverse workforce and understand that our employees are critical to our success in upholding our mission ... More

3. "competitive pay but frequent cancellations"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Havertown, PA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great team work, everyone works together, free lunch or breakfast during your shift, free coffee/soft fountain drinks, work every third weekend, competitive pay

Cons

at least one cancellation per pay period, no phlebotomy team, four to six patients per nurse

Jun 14, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

4. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to Work!! I feel like I am part of a big family!!

Cons

No cons are applicable at this moment.

Advice to Management

Yearly Raises

Jun 16, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

We are happy you shared your positive experience with us. Our employees are at the core of our mission!

5. "Employee comment"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Spring, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

Very good place to work I am part of a real team

Cons

No negative comments from me

Advice to Management

Raise salaries

Jun 12, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

We are happy you shared your positive experience with us. We are honored by your service.

6. "Ctc"

Current Employee - CTC in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CTC in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the type of work. Billing insurance. I love the elderly

Cons

Always changing the way things are done. Not getting a pay increase every year.

Jun 13, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for sharing and for choosing Kindred. We are honored by your service.

"Manager/My location is somewhere in MA"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff at site level. The team is amazing . Great nursing, aids, chaplain, social workers and bereavement coordinator. Office staff is excellent as well. Everyone works as a team, and all care about the patients.

Cons

Kindred goes off a "model" as to when you can hire staff. The census needs to be a certain level before they hire staff. This is unrealistic. The company is reactive in hiring staff, instead of being proactive. Staff gets burnt out trying to keep up. They keep piling work on you and than say "the model" does not support hiring. I have worked here 3 years, been through 3 ED's. Corporate is about the money and not about staff. Pay is below average, and the benefits are horroable. For the largest health care company our health insurance should be a lot better. We lose staff becasue of the health insurance and the lack of raises. Lack of staff recognition. If you ask for a well deserved raise you do not get it unless you have an offer letter from another company. At that point they will counter, but most great employees leave because they felt devalued.

Advice to Management

You need to recognize your staff. Health insurance needs to be better. Pay needs to be more competitive. Also Kindred no need to write a response "oh please call us with your concerns or call compliance". As I and you know it goes no where. I gave 3 stars for work/life balance because I shut work off. Many work well over 40 hours a week. The work load is rediculous.

"Hospice Patient Care Secretary"

Current Employee - Patient Care Secretary in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Patient Care Secretary in Miami, FL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hospice requires special people, so the people are great to work with. They have huge hearts. The work is challenging, but interesting. Salary is commensurate to experience. Good benefits. Growing company.

Cons

You work for a large corporation. This means that decisions are made at upper levels where they don't ask for input from the people who actually know what's going on. Hiring decisions are always dependent on census, but they seem to put the cart before the horse. Only when they increase the census will they allow hiring of staff, which puts a huge strain on current clinicians and office staff until new hires can be oriented (a ridiculously long process). This causes burnout for the rest of the clinicians and staff, and many really good people finally just throw up their hands and leave. Corporate managers seem to look at reports to make their decisions instead of finding out what's going on in the field and in the office. Mid-level management meetings are constant. Management's biggest failure is neglecting the input from the people who are actually doing the work. Because of this, staff are frustrated and discouraged in an already difficult job .

Advice to Management

Instead of looking at reports to make all your decisions, consider talking directly to the people who are actually doing the work. They can tell you what's going on in the field, in their office and with their staff much more effectively than a numbers report. They will have ideas and suggestions that you may not have considered. This would improve the overall working environment, reduce service failures and burnout, and help to grow Kindred Hospice into the best hospice in the country.

May 29, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with us. We understand that both past and present employees contribute to our culture of caring for our patients and residents. If ... More

9. "Caring for patient's on vents, Telemetry, and high observation."

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get a lot of critical care experience and build confidence as a new nurse. The staff really comes together to help each other out.

Cons

Work load can sometimes be very tough. Patient to nurse ratio can sometimes be very hard, but that happens at many facilities.

Jun 1, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

10. "RN case manager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, hours, 1 to 1 patient care

Cons

Unorganized, long hours, work life balance is hard

May 24, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation